Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 PM

522 posts, read 729,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I don't understand why people always have to associate Mexican food (or Chinese, for that matter) with always having to be cheap.

There's a "fine dining" scene for all types of cuisine nowadays and that's totally alright by me. Nobody HAS to splurge, but for those that are celebrating a special occasion or on vacation then why not if you can afford to?

I personally love both, the $7 burrito, all you can eat Indian buffet AND the occasional fine dining experience (where I can actually show up wearing my nice clothes and shoes). There are some wonderful restaurants at ALL price points, and thankfully we live in a region where we can actually have that option!
Yeah, but this screams yuppie trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:08 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,168,373 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people always have to associate Mexican food (or Chinese, for that matter) with always having to be cheap.

There's a "fine dining" scene for all types of cuisine nowadays and that's totally alright by me. Nobody HAS to splurge, but for those that are celebrating a special occasion or on vacation then why not if you can afford to?

I personally love both, the $7 burrito, all you can eat Indian buffet AND the occasional fine dining experience (where I can actually show up wearing my nice clothes and shoes). There are some wonderful restaurants at ALL price points, and thankfully we live in a region where we can actually have that option!
Ditto on all of this.

I love the shrimp and cream cheese burritos from the Taqueria Sinaloa burrito truck on International and 22nd. It is to die for.

1425 22nd Ave
https://goo.gl/maps/Mz2v6aD7m4v

Sinaloa is so damn good that their new sit down place in Berkeley was recently awarded Michelin's Bib Gourmand(excellent meal for under $40)

In short, food in the Bay Area is exceptional whether we're talking street food all the way up to the most heralded restaurants on the West Coast.

It'd be a shame to not treat yourselves to an experience at one of the countless top tier eateries.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,701,224 times
Quote:

Amen! I am stoked high end mexican got two stars. We need to stop devaluing ethnic food as cheap.

Those meals looked beautiful and artfully prepared. Well worth the rating.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:18 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,712,807 times
It looks like it would appeal to White Hipsters the most lol.

My favorite Mexican restaurant is "Taqueria Cancun" their tacos are sooo good! San Francisco has a great food scene. I recently tried some new ramen shops that were on par with the best I've had in Tokyo

Old 11-02-2017, 04:05 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,430,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It looks like it would appeal to White Hipsters the most lol.

My favorite Mexican restaurant is "Taqueria Cancun" their tacos are sooo good! San Francisco has a great food scene. I recently tried some new ramen shops that were on par with the best I've had in Tokyo
That's so racist. Who cares if they're white?

Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,712,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadontonme View Post
White Hipsters? As Opposed to Black Hipsters? I'm so sick and tired of the Attacks on Whites in this country. We have become the most persecuted attacked group of people in America. Usually at the hands of Racist Blacks and Liberals. Thank god we have a president like Trump that doesn't make us feel ashamed to be White. You can take your snide racist comment and shove it up your you know what.
I voted for Trump just fyi. White Hipsters means it looks like food that would appeal to White hipsters, looks very sleek, but flavors probably arent authentic, more westernized. I imagine the majority of people who voted weren't of Mexican decent. Like how Panda Express is what White people call chinese food. Come on now, if you voted for Trump you shouldnt be crying racism from such a comment. You are sounding pretty PC right now.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,646,210 times
I don't know why in the name of Hell this turned into a racism-Trump-stupidity thread, but....

back to the restaurant....

I was not the least bit impressed by the photos in this article. It looks like another "fine dining" restaurant where you pay $$$ for one or two bites of food. No thank you!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,234,504 times
lol'd at the pics.

I'll take this $8 burrito here in LA any day of the week over that $hit.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,652,233 times
The best Mexican restaurant in America is the original taqueria on Mission.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:05 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:

oh come on: there is no way a Mexican dinner would be in the same category with a steak house or good seafood restaurant. That is why the association. I happen to love good dining, and yes, that can include Mexican and Asian. But there is still a huge difference between what one would want to pay. That plus there is no such thing as: "The Best" it is still a matter of opinion. All these studies and articles do is give the restaurant or resort, whatever bragging rights until the next study comes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland