Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh come on: there is no way a Mexican dinner would be in the same category with a steak house or good seafood restaurant. That is why the association.
Sounds like you don't know much about Mexican food - it is not all tacos, burritos and street food.

This article is a really good take on our attitudes, as Americans toward "ethnic" food. It is literally baked into our culture that European food is expensive/special/complicated/upscale and food made by non-white people is cheap/inexpensive/low value. And on a generous day, exotic. But exotic still is code word for cheaper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.12b8063e10bd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:52 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,962,299 times
Quote:
oh come on: there is no way a Mexican dinner would be in the same category with a steak house or good seafood restaurant. That is why the association. I happen to love good dining, and yes, that can include Mexican and Asian. But there is still a huge difference between what one would want to pay. That plus there is no such thing as: "The Best" it is still a matter of opinion. All these studies and articles do is give the restaurant or resort, whatever bragging rights until the next study comes
You need to educate yourself... or travel internationally...or not make ridiculous assumptions at the very least.

Some of the finest restaurants in the world are in Mexico City, serving you guessed it--Mexican cuisine (which is far more than tacos). Just because YOU wouldn't pay for this type of cuisine, doesn't make it true for others.

Quintonil

Pujol

Inicio | Biko

Alcalde

Azul restaurante | Restaurante de comida mexicana

Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 PM

10,310 posts, read 8,483,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
This isn't El Faro on Folsom Street.
I love el faro!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 PM

10,310 posts, read 8,483,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
lol'd at the pics.

I'll take this $8 burrito here in LA any day of the week over that $hit.

Spill the beans... get it?
That looks good, where is it?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sounds like you don't know much about Mexican food - it is not all tacos, burritos and street food.

This article is a really good take on our attitudes, as Americans toward "ethnic" food. It is literally baked into our culture that European food is expensive/special/complicated/upscale and food made by non-white people is cheap/inexpensive/low value. And on a generous day, exotic. But exotic still is code word for cheaper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.12b8063e10bd
Say what? I was born and raised in So. CA, spent many years in Texas, and NM plus I have traveled throughout the world, including spending weeks on end in Mexico and I don't mean TJ. I certainly do know about Mexican food as well as American Mexican food. Top of the line Mexican food, which is wonderful to eat, is still not in the same price range as top of the line steak or seafood. And it should never be priced at that high a level unless it is for snob purposes. And any article explaining how people feel about food, based on white versus non white prepares is way out of line. Of course look at where the article came from, that explains something.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:42 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You need to educate yourself... or travel internationally...or not make ridiculous assumptions at the very least.

Some of the finest restaurants in the world are in Mexico City, serving you guessed it--Mexican cuisine (which is far more than tacos). Just because YOU wouldn't pay for this type of cuisine, doesn't make it true for others.

Quintonil

Pujol

Inicio | Biko

Alcalde

Azul restaurante | Restaurante de comida mexicana
Read my last post and then come back and tell me I need to educate myself.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,497,525 times
That’s impossible. Everyone knows that the best Mexican food in the USA is in San Diego.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,492,053 times
Quote:
Say what? I was born and raised in So. CA, spent many years in Texas, and NM plus I have traveled throughout the world, including spending weeks on end in Mexico and I don't mean TJ. I certainly do know about Mexican food as well as American Mexican food. Top of the line Mexican food, which is wonderful to eat, is still not in the same price range as top of the line steak or seafood. And it should never be priced at that high a level unless it is for snob purposes. And any article explaining how people feel about food, based on white versus non white prepares is way out of line. Of course look at where the article came from, that explains something.
Why?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,242,275 times
Such a dumb argument about Mexican food having to be cheap. As others have pointed out, some of the best chefs in the world have restaurants in Mexico City. If you don't want to pay top dollar for quality food, that's fine. But one of the worst meals I've ever had was in Iceland where a basic lunch cost me upwards of $40.

The same stupid arguments used to be used against CA wines when people insisted they'd never be as good as ones from Europe. Whoops!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,962,299 times
Quote:
So in your opinion, steak should be expensive while a 16 course meal should be much less?

A snob in your opinion is someone that celebrates their 25th wedding anniversary at a highly rated, fine dining type restaurant rather than Marie Callendar's? Or are you suggesting that Mexican cuisine must not be elevated and only steak and lobster or worthy of a high price tag?

As I stated much earlier in this thread, that it's FANTASTIC we Bay Areans have a CHOICE to eat at a taco truck or a Michelin starred, fancier place if desired.

In any case, may I suggest watching the Netflix series "The Chef's Table". It might give you a different perspective on the whole food /fine dining thing. I think you might find the series fascinating and informational on the whole food/fine dining thing. Each episode focuses on a different chef around the world.

I might add-- My husband once took me to a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris (Neither of us had ever been to a fancy restaurant or Paris for that matter). Cost us a lot-- It was definitely an "experience" and there was a cheese cart to die for, but I didn't think it was THAT much better than a 150$ meal. So I don't necessarily believe that Michelin stars necessarily make the food better or that you must spend a ton to get a great meal, either. I'm open minded to all food since I just love food.

Last edited by clongirl; 11-07-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland