Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

I went to the Warriors-Timberwolves game at Oracle last night, it was the first game I attended this season...and I immediately noticed the crowd wasnt as raucous as Im accustomed to.

What gives? Was it just an off night or are we getting too used to winning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
They priced out the people that made it "Roaracle". Get used to it, Chase Center will be even worse.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They priced out the people that made it "Roaracle". Get used to it, Chase Center will be even worse.
Ugh...

Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yep. All successful teams go through this process. The warriors used to have the loudest crowds in the NBA when they were 15-67. Total fanatics that you generally dont see away from the Rust Belt. Now they are just corporate fans who get tickets for free from work. They dont even understand hoops much of the time.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
This is a common thing, in multiple sports when a team either A) Has success, or B) Gets a new stadium/arena.

I attended the University of Louisville and was a season ticket basketball holder when they were still playing at Freedom Hall, it always had a decent crowd, and tons of students to get rowdy. Now that they have the new KFC Yum! Center, it’s filled with old people and corporate offices that do nothing at all. It’s sad really.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
This is a common thing, in multiple sports when a team either A) Has success, or B) Gets a new stadium/arena.

I attended the University of Louisville and was a season ticket basketball holder when they were still playing at Freedom Hall, it always had a decent crowd, and tons of students to get rowdy. Now that they have the new KFC Yum! Center, it’s filled with old people and corporate offices that do nothing at all. It’s sad really.
Yep. I have generally sworn off big sports events at this point. So many stadiums are entirely devoted to the ultra rich with a complete collapse of amenities and comfort for the average joe. Im not some communist.....i just stopped going. Free market decison.

Crappy concessions, never enough bathrooms, horrible traffic with drunks unless there is direct public transport, missing big plays in games due to long lines, its just not worth it. If these issues were coupled with significant price drops, then i might not complain so much, but these are issues experienced by people paying HUNDREDS of dollars per event! For lines that make you niss a quarter of a game to pee in troughs, 10 dollar hot dogs, ripoff beer, and the right to pay another 30 to park? Thats right, these aholes cant even figure out how to make parking free!

Also, totally agree about the 49ers wine and brie thing. Is it because Bill Walsh wore nice sweaters and talked thinkytalk like an intellectual? Is that ALL it takes to get your team labeled "wine and brie" ? Did the people who come up with that ever visit the stick, where gang members would freely roam, looking for people to f with? I dont remember a lot of wine and brie at the stick.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Yep. I have generally sworn off big sports events at this point. So many stadiums are entirely devoted to the ultra rich with a complete collapse of amenities and comfort for the average joe. Im not some communist.....i just stopped going. Free market decison.

Crappy concessions, never enough bathrooms, horrible traffic with drunks unless there is direct public transport, missing big plays in games due to long lines, its just not worth it. If these issues were coupled with significant price drops, then i might not complain so much, but these are issues experienced by people paying HUNDREDS of dollars per event! For lines that make you niss a quarter of a game to pee in troughs, 10 dollar hot dogs, ripoff beer, and the right to pay another 30 to park? Thats right, these aholes cant even figure out how to make parking free!

Also, totally agree about the 49ers wine and brie thing. Is it because Bill Walsh wore nice sweaters and talked thinkytalk like an intellectual? Is that ALL it takes to get your team labeled "wine and brie" ? Did the people who come up with that ever visit the stick, where gang members would freely roam, looking for people to f with? I dont remember a lot of wine and brie at the stick.
I haven’t given up on all sports yet. As a huge Vikings fan, I fly to a couple games each year and the place is always loud & rockin at the new stadium. Same goes for Louisville football, usually a good crowd (until this time of year when it’s damn cold & rainy at the games).

Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I think it depends on the team how much a the atmosphere changes. Petco Park in San Diego is pretty affordable overall, has decent attendance but isn't overwhelming or too crowded at all and it's been that way since it opened. Not that different from what I recall at Qualcomm. I think when the A's get a new stadium it won't change as drastically as the crowd did from Candlestick to PacBell for several reasons. The Warriors are the only basketball team in a very large and wealthy media market so it will be impacted more so by winning and/or a new facility.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:03 AM

181 posts, read 319,531 times
Just a foreshadow of what the New Chase Center will be like, and symbolic of what the Bay Area has become.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:32 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I think this is more of a california thing......people get priced out and the yuppies go to the games and they spend 80 percent of their time on snapchat or whatever the hell it is. And it's gonna get worse when the chase center opens up.

I will say that when I visted on the warriros message board, they had a thread named, "is it me or is anyone else feeling like a part-time fan?" And then they go into a narrative about how they use to be hard core fans that were hungry for wins. Now that they're the dominate team and have been for the past 4 years, their hunger has died down and the excitement has diminished. I felt that way as a niner fan giants fan and sharks fan. However, I am hungry AF now! I WANT MY TEAMS TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :c rying:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: