Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 12,778 times

Advertisements

Help! We purchased a home in October. It is about 50 years old and needs updating plus adding 1 bath to the existing layout. We have a detailed list of exactly what we would like done. We have all measurements and designs drawn out. We have a kitchen designer who already designed the entire kitchen. The problem is we have brought in several GC's and no one gets back to us. We had one who said he would start the project now, and he has totally fallen off the face of the planet. I'm just so confused as to what we are doing wrong. It's like these GC's come out for a couple hours, see the project, say they want to take it on and then never follow up with even a bid. Our house is vacant so it can't be that they don't want to work around us.
Are we doing something wrong? I'm just really upset because in the meantime we are paying rent on top of a mortgage and absolutely no movement is happening. I don't know if maybe they are expecting formal architect plans, but nobody is saying they need that and I am hesitant to spend all that additional money if we're still not able to get a GC. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,156,749 times
This is normal contractor behavior in Ca. There so busy the pick and choose what they'll do. If you get one to actually do the work it's going to take a loooong time to complete. Last summer I remodeled my kitchen. The contractor only sent one guy every day and he was so inexperienced he was watching YouTube videos on how to do stuff right in front of me!!! It's especially bad now with all the houses burned down. Good luck you have a hard road ahead if you

Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
Consider going through Home Depot, Lowe's or Ikea.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,234,535 times
So my company does construction, design and civil engineering. So I can maybe offer you some prospective. Obviously I get called out to meet lots of clients and look at lots of potential clients. I generally won't take a project if:

1.) The client has unrealistic expectations of the time of completion.

2.) Wants the work done without stamped plans or a building permit from the city or county.

3.) Appears to be difficult, temperamental, overaly controlling or mentally unstable.

4.) If the client unrealistic expectations of cost.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
So my company does construction, design and civil engineering. So I can maybe offer you some prospective. Obviously I get called out to meet lots of clients and look at lots of potential clients. I generally won't take a project if:

1.) The client has unrealistic expectations of the time of completion.

2.) Wants the work done without stamped plans or a building permit from the city or county.

3.) Appears to be difficult, temperamental, overaly controlling or mentally unstable.

4.) If the client unrealistic expectations of cost.
OP, the bolded could be the problem. While "updating" generally doesn't require a permit, adding a bathroom does. And getting a permit can take months; the relevant authority needs to review the plans and approve it. In some cities, there can be a 6-month backlog. You'd better get in line ASAP.
Or consider leaving the new bath for another time, so you can at least get moved in. New cabinetry and other cosmetic changes can be completed for move-in, then you could file an application for a permit for the new bath, and bide your time, for however long it takes to get the approval. You could ask the next GC you consult with, how long it usually takes to get a permit from your municipality. They usually know.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-13-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2017, 11:15 AM

2,398 posts, read 2,658,464 times
Have any of them said your budget is a problem? Adding a permitted bathroom plus a kitchen remodel could easily cost over $100,000 depending on the amount of work to be done. If your budget is $40,000 or something, they might be ignoring you because they don't think the project will happen.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
I would contact GCs on angieslist. What Ken said are good points as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,778 times
Thank you, these are very helpful comments and suggestions! I also posted on Nextdoor and an architect neighbor mentioned GC's wanting permits also. I had no idea, as I thought it was something GC's obtained for the client. I guess I better head down there this week...and great suggestion on delaying parts of the projects in which may be held up with the permits so we can at least get in before summer.
On a side note I called my designer again today and let her know the GC had disappeared for the last two weeks. Within a couple of hours the GC called me and profusely apologized and said he can start immediately. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this all starts to go a little bit smoother.
I better get back on my meds so I can omit #3 off Ken's list lol. Thanks again to all!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Why don't you ask them why they are not getting back to you?

You can write about their unprofessionalism on Yelp.

GC's DO handle the permit process for clients - they have to, as they know the specs - if you just have plans from a kitchen designer, someone has to draw professional plans to take to the City or County. If you go to the City or County website, it says exactly what they need (but you shouldn't have to worry about this).

Do you have a budget you discussed with them?

If they don't want to do the job, they would likely just say they were busy - not totally ignore you - that part is the weird part.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 982,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why don't you ask them why they are not getting back to you?

You can write about their unprofessionalism on Yelp.

GC's DO handle the permit process for clients - they have to, as they know the specs - if you just have plans from a kitchen designer, someone has to draw professional plans to take to the City or County. If you go to the City or County website, it says exactly what they need (but you shouldn't have to worry about this).

Do you have a budget you discussed with them?

If they don't want to do the job, they would likely just say they were busy - not totally ignore you - that part is the weird part.
This ^^^. When we remodeled our kitchen I went to the city with a drawing from a designer, and they basically laughed at me. I knew it would not work, but the contractor said to do it this way, even though I said bs. The inspector knew the contractor when I gave his name, and he said he should have known better than to send me down there. Any GC that won't do this is not worth wasting time on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland