Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:43 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

OP, of the main suggestions here: Benicia, Vallejo, Walnut Crk, and Davis, Davis has the shortest commute, just fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 09:27 PM
hka hka started this thread

4 posts, read 12,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
When I was in my mid to late 20's I put up with a long commute (45min am/60-90 min pm) to live in more a lively, fun place than where I worked. So I'd probably go with Walnut Creek or Midtown Sacramento but that's just me. Even now with a family I put up with a commute from Concord to Fairfield because I don't want to live out in that area but I have a lot of family and friends where I am too. I just prefer being closer in the Bay Area (relatively speaking) and connected by BART. But it sounds like you hate commuting so I may not be the best person to listen too. Gotta weigh what's more important to you.
The max commute I've ever had to do is 20 minutes, so I don't really know if I'd hate it. According to google maps, Sacramento midtown commute would only be 30 mins for me. Lots to consider.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hka View Post
The max commute I've ever had to do is 20 minutes, so I don't really know if I'd hate it. According to google maps, Sacramento midtown commute would only be 30 mins for me. Lots to consider.
That’s the commute direction though and you will hit some pretty bad traffic. I would adjust the time in google maps and look at what it’s like during rush hour, especially the evening. It could actually be up to an hour.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 PM

522 posts, read 735,942 times
I recently bought in Vallejo, and it really is a mixed town. Downtown has a large artist community, and a bohemian vibe. There is some visible poverty in Downtown, though. Vallejo Heights, just a mile or so north of downtown, is really nice. It has a San Francisco-esque vibe to it. Mare Island is nice, the Bay Area building boom seems to be most evident there. A lot of McMansions are popping up on Mare Island, and a lot of SF tech workers seem to be buying them up since Mare Island also has direct ferry service to San Francisco. East Vallejo, north of Springs Road is traditional middle to upper middle class suburbia. Some parts of East Vallejo have great panoramic views of Vallejo, as well as San Pablo Bay, and Mount Tamalpais. South of Springs isn't bad, but it's lower middle class. The only streets in East Vallejo that feel sketch are Westwood street, and Miller Ave/Humboldt Street. Glen Cove is a subdivision in South Vallejo that is upper middle class with direct view of the Carquinez Bridge, the Carquinez Strait and San Pablo Bay. Hiddenbrook is a gated community/golf course in the northeastern edge of Vallejo, this neighborhood is quite wealthy. Another nice part of South Vallejo is the area near Sandy Beach and the Cal Maritime campus. The rest of South Vallejo is rough. The part of Vallejo that I would absolutely not recommend is North Vallejo. North Vallejo is the part of the city that is north of Highway 37 and west of I-80. The area is generally ran down, and has a ton of crime. But, if you know where to look, Vallejo is an amazing bargain.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hka View Post
According to google maps, Sacramento midtown commute would only be 30 mins for me. Lots to consider.
That 30 minutes is a fantasy number. If you look at the map notice there is only one way to get from Vacaville to Sacramento. The lone highway between Davis and Sacramento is frequently jammed during the afternoon commute times, especially on Fridays.

I think Davis is too far away from San Francisco and is just a small super liberal college town. There is no reason to live there unless one attends UC-Davis or has little kids in their highly ranked school system.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:39 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
If you are going to work in Vacaville, live in Vacaville you can go to Sacramento or San Francisco on the weekends. There is no reason to even consider any of the places mentioned here, Benicia, Davis, Concord, Walnut Creek, Vallejo, Fairfield. Why would you commute almost half an hour to live in Vallejo? Or pay a bridge toll to live in Concord? That's nuts.

If you live in Vacaville you can probably bike to work and go home for lunch if you want. And you're close enough to all of those other areas that you can visit them any time you want.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you are going to work in Vacaville, live in Vacaville you can go to Sacramento or San Francisco on the weekends. There is no reason to even consider any of the places mentioned here, Benicia, Davis, Concord, Walnut Creek, Vallejo, Fairfield. Why would you commute almost half an hour to live in Vallejo? Or pay a bridge toll to live in Concord? That's nuts.

If you live in Vacaville you can probably bike to work and go home for lunch if you want. And you're close enough to all of those other areas that you can visit them any time you want.
Some people are willing to commute to live closer to the action, not really nuts at all just a personal preference. That's why you see so many people do a reverse commute from SF down to Silicon Valley.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM

197 posts, read 667,308 times
Maybe get something closer to work in the short term and save yourself some time and money on housing and transportation costs. You can then explore different areas and decide what works for you. You may find that some of the places mentioned aren't much of an upgrade from Vacaville.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some people are willing to commute to live closer to the action, not really nuts at all just a personal preference. That's why you see so many people do a reverse commute from SF down to Silicon Valley.
Understood, but how much action is there in Benicia, Vallejo, Fairfield or Concord? I've lived in most of those places and never saw much "action" in any of them..well unless you consider shootings as 'action' in which case Vallejo would win.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Understood, but how much action is there in Benicia, Vallejo, Fairfield or Concord? I've lived in most of those places and never saw much "action" in any of them..well unless you consider shootings as 'action' in which case Vallejo would win.
I was referring to Walnut Creek and Midtown Sacramento. No one suggested any of those other places for nightlife or action, just proximity. No one suggested Concord at all either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland