Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 30,428 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've got a question about the Richmond and Seacliff areas in District 1. I've noticed that rent and housing costs in those areas appear to be lower than others in SF. I believe Richmond and Seacliff have been mentioned as being less than desirable places to live. My question is: are Seacliff and Richmond less desirable and cheaper because they aren't the "cool/hip/happenin/boffo place to be" or is it because they are poorer / more dangerous areas?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
It's the former, and also the rust/decay/cold factor since it's close to a really chilly ocean.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Hmm, I don't think of Seacliff as a cheaper area to live. In fact, I think that the Seacliff neighborhood is quite expensive, even by Bay Area standards.

Sea Cliff, San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 30,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
Hmm, I don't think of Seacliff as a cheaper area to live. In fact, I think that the Seacliff neighborhood is quite expensive, even by Bay Area standards.

Sea Cliff, San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I included Seacliff with Richmond since many ads I've seen on Craigslist reference both areas together. But it's good to know that they aren't necessarily interchangeable. Thank you for the information.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM

52 posts, read 215,378 times
I think you are confusing the Richmond District in SF with the city of Richmond in the East Bay. "The Richmond" (referring to the SF district) can be cheaper to rent in, but that's mainly because it tends to be quite chilly/foggy, not because it is poorer or dangerous. It's actually quite a nice area, just cold, especially as you get closer to the beach.

The town of Richmond in the East Bay is poor and dangerous. There are some good areas, but in general, you don't really want to spend time there.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:06 PM

254 posts, read 1,182,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
I think you are confusing the Richmond District in SF with the city of Richmond in the East Bay. "The Richmond" (referring to the SF district) can be cheaper to rent in, but that's mainly because it tends to be quite chilly/foggy, not because it is poorer or dangerous. It's actually quite a nice area, just cold, especially as you get closer to the beach.

The town of Richmond in the East Bay is poor and dangerous. There are some good areas, but in general, you don't really want to spend time there.
Actually, Richmond/Seacliff is considered the same area according to the real estate maps. When I lived in the Richmond, I liked to think I lived "near Seacliff". The ads will list as Richmond/Seacliff to make it sound better. Kind of like how "Lower Nob Hill" is actually usually the Tenderloin. Only the Richmond isn't the Tenderloin, it's just a family neighborhood with a few shops and restaurants.

The rents are cheaper in the Richmond district because it's pretty boring, plain and simple. It's consistently rated as one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

An area that I really like right around there is Lake Street, between Funston and 25th Ave. You have Richmond rents, but can walk or bike to Baker Beach, the Presidio, some shops and restaurants on Clement Street and Geary, and you're close to a couple of bus lines.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM

583 posts, read 1,251,893 times
I've lived in Richmond district close to Lake st in late 90s for a few years and it's not as bad as people describe. It's actually one of the most underrated communities in SF. The rents are a bit cheaper than some trendy and popular with 'transplants' areas but are definitely not the cheapest in the city.

Seacliff area is very affluent and has mostly upscale single family houses and large mansions (yes, real mansions, and not McMansions). There are actually a couple of famous people living there, there are some unbelievable views of the bay and the bridge accross the ragged coastline. Lake street has always been expensive as well.

Richmond district IMO is the best place to be if you are really into outdoors because it's closest to the majority of the most beautiful natural parks in SF (Golden Gate Park, Presidio, Lincoln Park, Bakers Beach, China Beach and Ocean park). Most of these places are walking distance as opposed to having to take a bus or a car to drive to these places when you leave in the 'trendy' SF areas.

Richmond has lots of really good and fairly inexpensive ethnic restaurants, if I lived in any other part of the city I'd still drive there for some good and cheap eats. Basically, you really can get around without a car if you live there - there are lots of restaurants, lots of options to take a bus to go to other areas of the city and lots of outdoor opportunities.

The bad thing about this neighborhood is that it does tend to get foggy and colder than the areas closer to downtown. Personally, I found it to be too cold, but it's not much worse than other areas of SF, in general SF is not for people who like hot weather. There are still plenty of beautiful days to enjoy the outdoors and living in Richmond you are really close to them and far from all the annoying touristy spots.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 AM

524 posts, read 839,187 times
I agree with most of what everyone else is saying on here. I lived in the Outer Richmond (47th & Anza) for 5 years, and I loved it. Just being near the beach has always been relaxing for me, so it was perfect. I still miss living out there. Whenever someone tells me they're looking for a place I always tell them to check out the Richmond.

History

The Richmond used to be all sand dunes. It was developed mostly by a man named Adolph Sutro, who some people say owned 70% of the land in SF at one point. He built his estate overlooking the ocean, which is now a great little public park (Sutro Heights Park, 48th & Geary) with one of the best views looking down Ocean Beach.

The Cliff House sits just below that park, literally on a cliff right on the ocean. There's a lot of history in the Cliff House, more than I know and too much to list here.

The ruins of the Sutro Baths are also right here. It was a massive public bath house, built by.....you guessed it, Sutro. The foundations of the structures are still there and you can go explore the whole area. Very cool, one of my favorite spots in the city.

There used to be a huge carnival all along that stretch of Ocean Beach. Venture to guess who built it? Yup, him again.

Google "cliff house", "sutro baths" and "ocean beach playland" for some cool old pics.

Just up the hill from the ruins of the Sutro baths is Fort Miley/Point Lobos. This is one of the spots where the Army set up huge guns pointing out to sea. Off to the side of the parking area, 2 original shell-damaged sections of the USS San Francisco flank a granite monument commemorating those who perished at Guadalcanal on November 12-13, 1942. They hold a ceremony there every year to honor those sailors.

There's tons of interesting history in other parts of the Richmond, that was just part of my neck of the woods.

Sea Cliff

Sea Cliff isn't really the Richmond, it runs along its outer edge on the coast. It used to be a gated community, so there are lots of very expensive and sometimes huge houses. It's a sort of Pacific Heights by the sea. Everyone tells me Robin Williams lives there, so that gives you some gauge of the median home price. I can kinda see how people in the Richmond would see it as part of that neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure Sea Cliff residents would argue otherwise.

The Pros

It's almost all residential - and much of it private homes, so it has a kind of community feel to it. That can be a difficult thing to get in a city. It's nice knowing your neighbors, seeing them mowing their lawns, etc. It sounds silly but this is a good sized city.

It's very easy to navigate
- the streets are laid out in a simple grid pattern, numbered in ascending order going out towards the beach. It's one of the few neighborhoods that would be difficult to get lost in.

The beach - what more do I have to say? There is a caveat here, however. It's not exactly the kind of beach where very many people go swimming. The water is very cold and the undertow can be deadly. Just keep that in mind in case you're seeing a beach like San Diego in your head. Don't get me wrong, people do swim, but you gotta be careful. Surfers are out there every day. Those dudes are nuts.

PARKING! Yes, you can actually park a car there. Without paying for it. I think a lot of people move here not realizing how expensive it can be to park a car in this city. A parking spot can cost you anywhere between $50/mo up to and over $500/mo in some areas. The Richmond is one of the few places you can still find free parking.

Low crime - I never had any problems. For once I won't elaborate.

Backyards - There are quite a few places with usable yard space. Not every place has one but you can find them.

The Cons

The houses are generally smaller than some other neighborhoods. For the most part though, they're nice houses that are well kept because the tenants are often the owners. Although, the apartments tend to be bigger than areas closer to downtown.

The weather can be spotty. It does get foggy out there, and cold, and windy. Moisture can be a problem. But it's definitely not like that all the time. When it's not foggy, it's beautiful.

At the outer edge of the Richmond you're about 5 miles from downtown. Not all that far, but people use phrases like "way out in the Richmond". For me this was a pro, it's easy to forget you're in a sizable city. There are plenty of buses, the 38 will get you from the beach to downtown in about 30 mins, less if you get an express bus. If you drive, you can jump on Fulton St and be downtown in 15 mins or less.

It's quiet. Very quiet. Again, for me this was a pro. Chaos at work, peace & quiet at home. If you like being surrounded by nightlife, it might not be the best choice.

Commerce

The Richmond has its own Safeway right by the beach, a big one. It never seems to be as busy as the other ones in the city. They also deliver.

There's a little diner-type place called (I think) Louis', just above the Sutro Bath ruins. They make a mean burger & shake, not too expensive, with an awesome view, especially at sunset.

There are lots of little ethnic enclaves out there, so you can find little Polish kielbasa shops, Russian video stores, Irish pubs, Chinese restaurants and the random sushi places. Good stuff!

My favorite Italian restaurant is out there. It's called Gaspare's. The BEST manicotti I've had since leaving the east coast. The owner is there talking to the customers almost every night. I love that place.

That's my 286,000 cents. Let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt2sfo View Post
Hi all,

I've got a question about the Richmond and Seacliff areas in District 1. I've noticed that rent and housing costs in those areas appear to be lower than others in SF. I believe Richmond and Seacliff have been mentioned as being less than desirable places to live. My question is: are Seacliff and Richmond less desirable and cheaper because they aren't the "cool/hip/happenin/boffo place to be" or is it because they are poorer / more dangerous areas?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sea Cliff is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in The City. The median home price is $2.8 Million and its home to some of San Francisco's wealthiest residents.

I dont know why rents would seem lower there? Maybe cause its not as lively or as walkable as "closer in" neighborhoods, it could be more preferable to homebuyers then to renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland