Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM

186 posts, read 475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW50 View Post
If you love Concord great, if you hate it great, but when people ask for information about a city, tell the truth, dont mislead simply because you love it so much. Concord has a lot of crime and there are certain areas to avoid, so dont make it sound like it's not as bad as it is. It is a fact that you have to watch what you wear, it is a fact that the brendan theater is run down and it's not that old. It is also a fact that depending on which street you are stolling down you are very likely to come across some wanna be thugs and a whole bunch of tweekers! I would rather know those kinds of things before I make a decision to move there.
I live near monument, and I never had a problem.
I think people like to scare people, so the truth can be stretched both ways.
But who would want to live on monument anyway???? There are so many other areas of concord that are way better.
Concord is the biggest city in contra costa county with many different neighborhoods, please stop generalizing the whole town, just because of the monument/detroit area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM

62 posts, read 311,006 times
Is this a bad area of Vallejo? It seems South and near the water, which I heard is good, but I'm not sure. Where is the "crest" area that's so bad?

ZipRealty, Inc. - Sign In

Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
leonard street vallejo - Google Maps

this is the crestside of vallejo around north vallejo park.

Last edited by gogetta; 09-11-2009 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: messed up link

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
We're putting in an offer on a Vallejo home this weekend so we've spent a considerable amount of time recently in Vallejo. It's definitely an interesting city, but don't listen to anyone who says not to move there because it's a horrible city, because that's so far generalized.

There are definitely good neighborhoods with good buys in Vallejo. Hiddenbrooke is a bit overpriced but being surrounded by hills on all sides is quite neat. You could leave your doors unlocked there...

Glen Cove is also safe, but you'll have the occasional issue as it's not enclosed like Hiddenbrooke - check crime maps.

The area around 37/Columbus Parkway/Marine World has some interesting things but it's a bit more hit and miss in some neighborhoods.

Mare Island could be very interesting in a few years...

Where to stay away from? I wouldn't really move anywhere aside from the areas I posted. Everything west of I-80 is so hit or miss that I wasn't really able to differentiate what was safe and what wasn't. A lot of poverty.

Random thought: Can someone explain why there are so many goddamn flies downtown? lol

Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Hiddenbrooke is a bit overpriced but being surrounded by hills on all sides is quite neat. You could leave your doors unlocked there...
I realize what you're trying to say here, but in all honesty, nowadays, anyone anywhere who doesn't lock their doors is INSANE.

And I come from Norman Rockwell like area of Pennsylvania. Sure as shoot we locked our doors there....

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,001 times
Smile concord east of bart

the area east of concord bart station is a wonderful neighborhood of small houses with front porches and huge yards,It is a diverse area of quiet tree lined streets white picket fences and friendly neighbors - the houses are in the 250,000 range or cheaper.it is walking distance to bart and downtown concord and there are many nearby stores and farmers markets all within walking distance! i love it here and feel blessed by all the friends i have made here and by the easy bart access to berkeley where i lived for the last 45 years.living here i have an environment and home that would cost 650,000 or more in berkeley for under$200,000.downtown concord has a peets,half price books and many excellent restaurants.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhp415 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Concord or Vallejo, but I don't know which neighborhoods are good or bad. I'm looking for homes under $250K, so I am expecting many of these homes to be in bad areas, but I can't tell by looking at the homes online (ziprealty.com).
Take a look at Benicia, next door to Vallejo. It's a small, quiet, picturesque town, with the Bay on one side, and the Sac'to River on the other, so it's a little cooler than Vallejo. It was CA's first state capitol. There are a few places for around 250,000; it depends on location and how much space you want.

kdmars' description of her neighborhood in Concord sounds like a dream, though! Such great prices for those amenities!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-24-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM

26 posts, read 114,873 times
I live in Clayton & drive through Concord just about every day. I agree with the posts that say East Concord near Ygnacio Valley Rd are nicer. If you have to be near BART, then the North Concord station would be best & I think you wouldn't have any problems. The only part of Concord that I would completely avoid is indeed the Monument/Detroit area.

Pleasant Hill is also an alternative that you should check out & its not far from BART.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
I live in baltimore md my whole life(the wire).and am no stranger to violence but wanted to move to the west coast for the weather and just to see something different...whats a nice area for someone like me

Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 10,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhp415 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Concord or Vallejo, but I don't know which neighborhoods are good or bad. I'm looking for homes under $250K, so I am expecting many of these homes to be in bad areas, but I can't tell by looking at the homes online (ziprealty.com).

If I move to Concord I would like to live near the BART Station, so that I can have an easy commute (I don't have a car). I'm curious if the areas near the BART Stations in Concord are bad or not.

If I get a car then I will seriously consider Vallejo. But like Concord I don't know which areas to avoid living.

It would be great if ppl could give me neighborhoods/areas, and zip codes of the areas that I should avoid. The zip codes would really help since I can't tell which area I'm looking at just based on the address.

Much appreciated for all who help.
So, where did you end up living? The Vallejo area would have been a great place to go as prices here have just about quadrupled since 2008. I think some areas doubled here in the past 3 years. They're still going up towards their previous peak values of 2005-2007 era. Concord may be a bit nicer in many aspects, but I believe there's great opportunity in Vallejo, and it has a bright future. It used to be the capital of this great state, and I think it might just become a seriously awesome place to be once again very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland