Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:44 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

Good evening all & Merry Christmas,
My 30th birthday will be in July of 2018, July 16th (it's on a Monday) so I am wanting to spend the weekend in San Francisco...I haven't been there since I was 10, so you can imagine how little I know of it lol...

What are some good suggestions for a 30 year old married woman to do in San Francisco? We will be flying in from Houston..I am looking at tickets on Southwest right now...thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 08:52 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Good evening all & Merry Christmas,
My 30th birthday will be in July of 2018, July 16th (it's on a Monday) so I am wanting to spend the weekend in San Francisco...I haven't been there since I was 10, so you can imagine how little I know of it lol...

What are some good suggestions for a 30 year old married woman to do in San Francisco? We will be flying in from Houston..I am looking at tickets on Southwest right now...thanks again
Very vague description. What do you enjoy doing? Hiking, shopping, restaurants, scenic drives, beaches, etc...The more we know, the easier it is to help.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Very vague description. What do you enjoy doing? Hiking, shopping, restaurants, scenic drives, beaches, etc...The more we know, the easier it is to help.
I'd prefer not to rent a car and stay in a place w/ decent public transportation. I enjoy restaurants, beaches, & shopping The hubby is more of a hiking kind of guy...

Old 12-26-2017, 03:33 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
I'd prefer not to rent a car and stay in a place w/ decent public transportation. I enjoy restaurants, beaches, & shopping The hubby is more of a hiking kind of guy...
I’d say the obvious choice would be to get a hotel, room, etc...in San Francisco somewhere near the Embarcadero maybe? You would be close to all the touristy things. Also nearby is the GG bridge, Lomabard St, etc...you can rent bikes to tour the city.

As far as the best hikes, Mt Tam. is right across the GG bridge, along with Muir Woods. For beaches, I would head to Pacifica, BART can get you somewhat close. Uber & Lyft are around 24/7 in the city.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Stay downtown around Union Square or at Fisherman's Wharf (expensive either way). You'll be close to all the tourist places - some you can walk to or ride a cable car or light rail. Plenty of shopping at Union Square and at the Westfield mall at Powell and Market St.

As for the beach, take the N-Judah light rail from any downtown subway station and go west to the end of the line at Ocean Beach (about $5 round trip). DON'T go in the water!. Walk to the Cliff House for lunch. Plenty of hiking here for your husband. http://www.inside-guide-to-san-franc...francisco.html

If you're only going to be here for a weekend, I wouldn't go to other places outside SF. You won't have the time. Be sure to take a bay cruise at Fisherman's Wharf. Wear warm layered clotheing even in July.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:19 PM

136 posts, read 196,834 times
Your "hiking hubby" might like:

humboldtrat's idea of going to Ocean Beach, but instead of staying there, walk around Land's End to Seacliff to Baker Beach and to the Golden Gate Bridge. That's a very nice hike.

Walking from the the Embarcadero along the north waterfront to the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito (a little town in Marin County). From Sausalito, you can take a ferry back to the Embarcadero. This is a fun hike (about 8 miles) on a clear day when the views are good.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Stay downtown around Union Square or at Fisherman's Wharf (expensive either way). You'll be close to all the tourist places - some you can walk to or ride a cable car or light rail. Plenty of shopping at Union Square and at the Westfield mall at Powell and Market St.

As for the beach, take the N-Judah light rail from any downtown subway station and go west to the end of the line at Ocean Beach (about $5 round trip). DON'T go in the water!. Walk to the Cliff House for lunch. Plenty of hiking here for your husband. http://www.inside-guide-to-san-franc...francisco.html

If you're only going to be here for a weekend, I wouldn't go to other places outside SF. You won't have the time. Be sure to take a bay cruise at Fisherman's Wharf. Wear warm layered clotheing even in July.
Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes, a weekend is only enough for SF. I would have loved to go to Monterey/Carmel/Napa wine country but that will be for another day. One goal I have for that weekend is to take a picture by the Golden Gate bridge (I know, I'm basic ) but I am dying to get one...

Any good restaurants near the Embarcadero, we are wannabe "foodies" and are wondering what some of the good eats in the area are? Any suggestions? Also, is it worth it to rent a car or just to keep it simple & use public transport?

Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes, a weekend is only enough for SF. I would have loved to go to Monterey/Carmel/Napa wine country but that will be for another day. One goal I have for that weekend is to take a picture by the Golden Gate bridge (I know, I'm basic ) but I am dying to get one...

Any good restaurants near the Embarcadero, we are wannabe "foodies" and are wondering what some of the good eats in the area are? Any suggestions? Also, is it worth it to rent a car or just to keep it simple & use public transport?
They are starting to close the parking lots at the north and south end of the Golden Gate Bridge on weekends - or certain weekends because of too much traffic. You can take a regular city bus or a sightseeing bus where you can hop on and hop off to see certain places. Taking a cab might be the fastest and easiest. Once at the bridge, you can walk across from one end to the other end. You can also take a bay cruise from Fisherman's Wharf. The boat goes under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Check out the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street and on the Embarcadero for eating. www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchants Also a lot of restaurants around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 www.pier39.com

I wouldn't rent a car. Parking is next to impossible. You should be OK with public transit. You can get a 2 or 3 day unlimited ride pass on public transit. This includes cable cars, buses and light rail (but not BART).

Old 12-29-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
They are starting to close the parking lots at the north and south end of the Golden Gate Bridge on weekends - or certain weekends because of too much traffic. You can take a regular city bus or a sightseeing bus where you can hop on and hop off to see certain places. Taking a cab might be the fastest and easiest. Once at the bridge, you can walk across from one end to the other end. You can also take a bay cruise from Fisherman's Wharf. The boat goes under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Check out the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street and on the Embarcadero for eating. www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchants Also a lot of restaurants around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 www.pier39.com

I wouldn't rent a car. Parking is next to impossible. You should be OK with public transit. You can get a 2 or 3 day unlimited ride pass on public transit. This includes cable cars, buses and light rail (but not BART).
Thanks again for your help, I will plan an intinerary (more or less) & go from there! We won't rent a car & will Uber/Lyft if we have to.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for your help, I will plan an intinerary (more or less) & go from there! We won't rent a car & will Uber/Lyft if we have to.
At the west end of Fisherman's Wharf is Ghirardelli Square, a former chocolate factory now full of shops. Check out Ghirardelli Chocolate - Ghirardelli Square for a birthday treat. You won't need to eat for the rest of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland