Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 06:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why is it "racist" to make an observation about Chinese housing preferences? Very odd.

Do you disagree that Chinese have a particular affinity for communities like Cupertino and Irvine?
I know my gf's family drives all the way from SF to Cupertino for a Chinese dessert place there that specializes in taro. A lot has to do with food and drinks. Chinese and Asians in general care a lot about safety as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Why is it "racist" to make an observation about Chinese housing preferences? Very odd.

Do you disagree that Chinese have a particular affinity for communities like Cupertino and Irvine?
You don't have any quantifiable data to back up your claim.

That's like saying the Chicago project housing is all black on the south side. So they must have an "extreem preference" for these areas.

To boot, you even acknowledged you were stereotyping 8n your post. So yes, when you stereotype Chinese, and then make claims on their perferences, only because they are Chinese, that is racism. This might come ad a shock to you, but Chinese people do not all think the same.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

That's like saying the Chicago project housing is all black on the south side. So they must have an "extreem preference" for these areas.

To boot, you even acknowledged you were stereotyping 8n your post. So yes, when you stereotype Chinese, and then make claims on their perferences, only because they are Chinese, that is racism. This might come ad a shock to you, but Chinese people do not all think the same.
Mmm no, that isn't "racism". Another lib that has no idea what the words they fling around even mean. Sad.

Ethnic enclaves are nothing new. Lots of different kinds of people prefer to live with their own group.

Cupertino is a good example of an Asian ethnic enclave...and one that is now less diverse in various ways than it was when it was majority white. Like for instance, in the school system. Which is like high 90s percent Asian in K-5. Not sure about middle and high school - but they will obviously get there in a few years if they are not there already.

Another good example of Asians forming ethnic enclaves would be Fremont, and from the data I've seen, Dublin...where there are entire housing developments that are all Asian. Oh, and how could I forget San Ramon. Oops.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:

Nothing you just wrote responded to my post. You called me a "racist" for saying that Chinese prefer some communities over others, which is bizarre.

And, yes, there's quantifiable data. You really want me to list Census data by race, and housing sales by community?

And, no, stereotyping, or generalizing, isn't racism. Everyone stereotypes, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it. If I say that African Americans are more likely to be in the NBA than Asian Americans, that isn't a "racist" statement; it's fact.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Nothing you just wrote responded to my post. You called me a "racist" for saying that Chinese prefer some communities over others, which is bizarre.

And, yes, there's quantifiable data. You really want me to list Census data by race, and housing sales by community?

And, no, stereotyping, or generalizing, isn't racism. Everyone stereotypes, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it. If I say that African Americans are more likely to be in the NBA than Asian Americans, that isn't a "racist" statement; it's fact.
Racism.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
I'm still stuck on the statement that there are places that are half the price for a five minute longer commute but are otherwise the same or better than the high-priced areas. Can't really figure out that comment.

I wish I knew where this 50% off sale was happening.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I'm still stuck on the statement that there are places that are half the price for a five minute longer commute but are otherwise the same or better than the high-priced areas. Can't really figure out that comment.

Walnut Creek, it's about half the price per sq ft as Cupertino. Lafayette is over a third less than Cupertino psf.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:

Personally I'd say your post is a lot more racist then his. Chicago has lots of preference neighborhoods. It doesn't even hide behind names in some cases. Guess who lives in the Ukranian Village? Guess who lives in Greektown? Guess who lives in <gasp> Chinatown? (Obviously the answer is Bulls fans)

Nobody said anything about the projects. That starts to imply something beyond a geographic generalization. That starts grouping a geographic generalization with an economic one.

You want to know who lives in project housing? Poor people.

You want to know who's a racist hypocrite? Answer's in the mirror.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Personally I'd say your post is a lot more racist then his. Chicago has lots of preference neighborhoods. It doesn't even hide behind names in some cases. Guess who lives in the Ukranian Village? Guess who lives in Greektown? Guess who lives in <gasp> Chinatown? (Obviously the answer is Bulls fans)

Nobody said anything about the projects. That starts to imply something beyond a geographic generalization. That starts grouping a geographic generalization with an economic one.

You want to know who lives in project housing? Poor people.

You want to know who's a racist hypocrite? Answer's in the mirror.
Yea maybe if you get a time machine and go back 100 years. Ukranian Village is filled with yuppies, not eastern Europeans. Greek town is no longer greek. Only Chinatown is ethnic.

Are you really trying to suggest that Chicago housing projects are not filled with black people?????

Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

It's because people in those 925 places are barting to SF. Where as in Cupertino they have to drive around the Valley.

But they are two different groups, working in different industries. The people driving in the south bay are going to higher paying tech jobs. The Bart crowd is going to your run of the mill NORMCORE corporate slave jobs. The houses in Walnut Creek are not going to be as expensive as Cupertino housing. No one could afford it and the houses would just sit there until there was massive price reduction in listed prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland