Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,650,723 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'd like some reputable source of solid news that coyotes are killing dogs being walked by their owners. Sure, they will kill cats and dogs not under their owners' control...i.e. left alone in yards or roaming.

And has a coyote ever killed a child? Not that I've heard of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 PM

882 posts, read 688,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Gotta call you out on this one. I don't believe that coyotes are killing dogs that are being walked by their owners on leash.

I have a lot of experience with coyotes, and they will definitely kill dogs, but my experience is that they will come onto a property, and entice a domestic dog to follow them off property, where the pack will attack and sometimes kill the dog.

But, I don't believe that if I'm walking my dog on leash, that a coyote pack will come up and kill my leashed dog.

So, something is missing from this story. If it's not the truth, then there is a serious misrepresentation of the facts, in my opinion.
I'm really hoping you're not serious. You could have simply done a query. This has been going on for quite some time all over the nation.

Dog owners' concern grows after series of coyote attack at San Francisco's Stern Grove | abc7news.com

Coyote kills dog after snatching it from SF porch - by a_naiden - July 18, 2017 - The San Francisco Examiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7X13dqXW7o

Are any of you members of Next Door? If not, perhaps you should join to see what's going on in your neighborhoods (not all of these things get covered on the news).

This was from the post on the site.....

Coyote Breakfast

While driving to work this morning about 7:30 am, I saw these beasties considering a Pomeranian for breakfast. One was already in “hunt mode” and sneaking across the street toward it, while keeping in a blind spot behind a parked car. I swung my car toward them, beeping and revving my engine. Scared the heck out of a guy driving down the hill toward me, until he and the guy walking the “snack” realized what was going on. The hungry couple withdrew, but then started heading toward the Panorama Elementary School down the hill. So I had to make a u-turn and herd them back toward San Bruno mountain where there are plenty of other, less-domestic, brunch options.

This was at S. Hill Blvd. at Bellevue.

I have no reason to doubt the posters story (you are welcome too). We have a pretty good group of neighbors and they watch out for one another.

I should also add that I used to work fairly early in the morning (used to leave my house around 5am). I came outside one morning, and as I was about to get in the car, there was a coyote looking at me from about 100 feet away. Mind you, he didn't attack, but he also didn't back off and run away like some of you are claiming. We had a pretty good stare down for a good 45 seconds or so (I wasn't concerned as he could have never gotten to me in time...I would have been in my car in less than 3 seconds). But this thought that they simply back down to humans is simply not true any more. They are getting pretty damn comfortable in these neighborhoods.

My ex-boss also saved a jogger in the Marin area not too long ago who hit a coyote over the head with a bike pump who had cornered a woman jogger and was coming at her (and no, she wasn't running near their den or anything like that). It was out in the open just a little down from the Golden Gate Bridge.

https://thefrisc.com/should-san-fran...s-4908a0a03efc

Within urban and suburban areas in California, some coyotes have adapted to residential neighborhoods, parks, and open spaces, and seemingly have lost their fear of humans. They prey on the abundant rodents, rabbits, birds, house cats, and small dogs that live in residential habitats. They also will feed on household garbage, pet food, and seeds and fruits of many garden and landscape plants. In some localities, this has resulted in the development of local coyote populations that seemingly ignore people, while a few coyotes have become increasingly aggressive toward humans. They will stalk and even attack children or adults, or attack pets being walked on a leash by their owners. More than 160 such attacks have occurred in California since the 1970s, and they are becoming more frequent, particularly in suburban areas of Southern California. While only one attack has been fatal (to a 3-year-old girl, attacked in her front yard in 1981), a number of attacks have resulted in serious injuries. When it reaches the point where pets are being attacked or coyotes are seen in neighborhoods in early morning or late afternoon, area-wide corrective actions are recommended to prevent an escalation to attacks on humans.

Many of these situations have started to occur due to housing construction ruining the natural habitat of wildlife. I just think it's unfortunate that they can't be relocated (not killed), especially if they are endangering others.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 02-03-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,040,860 times
"I read it on the internet, it MUST be true!"

I have no problems with coyotes. Pomeranians, on the other hand, I dislike immensely (the dogs, not the people in Germany).

Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
"I read it on the internet, it MUST be true!"

I have no problems with coyotes. Pomeranians, on the other hand, I dislike immensely (the dogs, not the people in Germany).

Actually they're neighbors, so no, I didn't just read it on the internet (used to wave to the elderly couple every day on their walk and they were very thankful that this hero came along). Need any more clarification. Do you know what next door is? I'm thinking you do not. No skin off my back if you don't want to believe them. I don't typically call my neighbors liars (especially knowing so many of them personally and never experiencing these tales of falsehood you claim). I'm sorry that your dislike of Pomeranians has left you thinking their lives are not necessary. Last I checked, there wasn't an overpopulation of Pomeranians that needed to be kept in check.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 02-04-2018 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM

32 posts, read 105,058 times
"And has a coyote ever killed a child? Not that I've heard of..."

You must not get out much. The answer is yes. I would expect that some one from Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast would have known this as the eastern coyotes are interbred with wolves and tend to be larger than their western cousins. Coyotes are wild animals, unpredictable and intelligent opportunistic hunters. Do not underestimate them. Given the right circumstances they are capable of taking a human albeit a smaller one in this case. Granted the frequency is very low but it has happened.
Coyotes kill Toronto singer in Cape Breton - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

Old 02-04-2018, 03:50 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,175,725 times
In 2016 a coyote grabbed a kid in Irvine Ca by the arm and tried to drag ihim away. Luckily his dad saved him. Unfortunately the poor kid had to get treated for possible rabies. Rangers killed all the coyotes in that area.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,634,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
One of the locals saved an elderly couples pomeranian the other day as two coyotes were coming up from behind to have it for their breakfast. His honking of his horn startled the coyotes and they ran away. He chased them in his car to divert them as they were running toward the school.
Just to be sure I understand: was the pomeranian out alone when your neighbor saw the coyotes attacking him? Or was the pomeranian walking ion a leash with his elderly owners?

Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just to be sure I understand: was the pomeranian out alone when your neighbor saw the coyotes attacking him? Or was the pomeranian walking ion a leash with his elderly owners?

The latter

Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
In 2016 a coyote grabbed a kid in Irvine Ca by the arm and tried to drag ihim away. Luckily his dad saved him. Unfortunately the poor kid had to get treated for possible rabies. Rangers killed all the coyotes in that area.
I remember the kid being bitten, but I don't remember rangers killing "all" of the coyotes in the area. That would probably be a pretty tall order, I would think.

EDIT: OK, here's an article about the incident. The article says they killed a few coyotes, not "all of the coyotes in the area." https://www.ocregister.com/2016/10/1...n-irvine-park/

Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
The latter
Thanks for clarifying. Was this at night or in the middle of the day? It's hard to picture someone in a suburban neighborhood not noticing two coyotes that close to you. Perhaps it was because they were elderly?

I've lived in a semi-rural area for the last 30 years. Our house borders a huge swath of open space. So, we see coyotes on our property on a regular basis -- at least four or five times every week. Most are pretty shy, but some can be more bold.

Some common sense precautions your neighbors can take:

1. Be aware and alert. Know what to do if you see a coyote in close proximity to you - shout, raise your arms, etc. Make sure children are aware and alert too. Do not try to approach coyotes, or try to get closer to take photos of them. And, definitely do not try to "tame" them.

2. If you have known coyotes in your neighborhood that are acting aggressively, don't leave pets or young children out in yards unattended.

3. If there are coyotes in your area, never leave pets (especially cats) outside at night even if your yard is fenced.

4. Never feed pet food bowls outside. Better yet, only feed your pets inside.

5. Keep the rodent population around your homes under control. Coyotes are attracted to places where they can find easy meals.

6. Keep your trash cans secure.

7. Remove bird feeders. They attract birds, but also rodents, and again, that attracts Coyotes (and other wildlife like bobcats, foxes and mountain lions)

8. Pick up any ripe fruit that has fallen off of fruit trees. We've spotted coyotes merrily munching on fruit under trees in our orchard.

9. Consider a pool cover and netting over water features. Thirsty coyotes can sometimes be attracted by water sources.

I'm sure there are other things, but these are things that have worked for us. In 30 years of living in an area where there are tons of coyotes, we and our children have never been attacked or threatened (As I said, some coyotes, however, can be bolder at times).

We've had five dogs in that time. The only time one of our dogs got into a problem with a coyote was when our dog took off running and barking after a coyote. She got it cornered and it did bite her, but by the time we got over there, it had already run off. We chalked that one up to being our dog's fault, not the coyote's fault. (She needed some stitches, but was fine).

There are lots of things to be afraid of in this world. If you take a few precautions, coyotes in the neighborhood shouldn't be a reason to live in fear for your life.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-04-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland