U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 AM

17,074 posts, read 9,597,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Sure - it’s your business; but if you are expressing a lengthy opinion in a forum, it’s open to feedback or an alternative opinion, which I gave. You have stated many times you are ‘wealthy’ and live on a ‘fixer-upper’ boat (while dodging liveaboard status fees). That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but it doesn’t have to.

Bills are introduced all the time which are not constitutionally based (some of the more painfully relevant are those introduced by fundamental conservatives as part of Project Blitz). It’s completely off-topic to the thread, but this is why I state (it is unfortunate) bills are not always constitutionally based. Legal interpretation is often contentious - it is not black or white. But back to the homeless - and the condition of our streets in SF.

My point is - it’s clear, without asking, most people in this thread (who don’t even live here) are obviously not doing anything constructive concerning the topic when they aren’t discussing anything constructive, either. So it seems an odd thing to ask, given the circumstances to most of the posts. Most fear the homeless and believe they are somehow ‘taking over’ SF.
1. Did I suggest anywhere that I cared one way or another if you give feedback to my posts?

2. I don’t “dodge” liveaboard fees. There aren’t liveaboard options at the marinas I currently, and recently before, reside at. So I maintain and alternate stays at multiple slips that each allow a few nights per week for no additional charge.

3. I suppose maybe you are saying that bills are “introduced which are not constitutionally based” in distinction to bills that are actually passed. Yeah, true. But I don’t see why you are bothering to point that out. Bills / laws that aren’t passed are moot ... not in discussion.

4. I suspect at least some of your reaction to my response to USDefault was made without knowing that poster’s history with me. We go back a long ways with his frantic, baseless personal attacks. You are correct in guessing he isn’t involved in any productive activities regarding homelessness ... nor anything thing else I have read, other than ridiculing people for having children and anyone who hasn’t earned well and engaged in sophisticated financial planning. S/he just attacks attacks attacks, ridicules, rants, rails, accuses. So I took another opportunity to remind him/her of our differences: I report realities, not ideologies ... and I act in selected venues to serve the issues I discuss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

5,078 posts, read 1,241,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. Did I suggest anywhere that I cared one way or another if you give feedback to my posts?
Does *anyone* care about feedback from a specific person or not? Real world problems......only in forums.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Does *anyone* care about feedback from a specific person or not? Real world problems......only in forums.
Heh . It’s one ‘o the main points of posting, ain’t it ... but non-specific as to who or what agenda they throw in the ring ..

Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM

424 posts, read 183,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/style/ar...x-13976618.php

Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 PM

4,307 posts, read 1,149,462 times
Quote:

2. I don’t “dodge” liveaboard fees. There aren’t liveaboard options at the marinas I currently, and recently before, reside at. So I maintain and alternate stays at multiple slips that each allow a few nights per week for no additional charge.

3. I suppose maybe you are saying that bills are “introduced which are not constitutionally based” in distinction to bills that are actually passed. Yeah, true. But I don’t see why you are bothering to point that out. Bills / laws that aren’t passed are moot ... not in discussion.

4. I suspect at least some of your reaction to my response to USDefault was made without knowing that poster’s history with me. We go back a long ways with his frantic, baseless personal attacks. You are correct in guessing he isn’t involved in any productive activities regarding homelessness ... nor anything thing else I have read, other than ridiculing people for having children and anyone who hasn’t earned well and engaged in sophisticated financial planning. S/he just attacks attacks attacks, ridicules, rants, rails, accuses. So I took another opportunity to remind him/her of our differences: I report realities, not ideologies ... and I act in selected venues to serve the issues I discuss.
Actually, in a previous thread about SF (and the homeless), you discussed having multiple slips to avoid the outrageous fees. No matter how you maneuver the number of nights (or number of slips), you are clearly live-aboard status in your usage of facilities/electricity yet you circumvent the fees. That’s dodging (which I don’t understand if you are ‘independently wealthy’) - and it relates, indirectly, to what some accuse the homeless of i.e. taking advantage of the ‘system’.

I am stating, again, not all bills (introduced or passed) are necessarily constitutionally-based (as is the case with some of the aforementioned bills which did pass). Much of law is interpretation - and finding one’s way around (or through) it. I pointed it out because legislation is often discussed in this thread (as you often do).

I didn’t have a ‘reaction’ to your thread nor do I know/care about your history with another poster. I was simply responding to the content of your post, as I would expect anyone to do with mine, if they so choose. It doesn’t need a personal invitation.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 PM

955 posts, read 1,212,091 times
Quote:
I separate this accusation of yours from the others for a more pointed rebuttal. You have numerous times accused me of “refusing to partake in the solutions I espouse”. You have also falsely cited me as having ”an AirB&B rental” you think I should house habitual drug offenders and homeless in rather than profit from.

As I have responded several times in the past to inform that I do not own a “B&B rental”, I can only assume you are intentionally repeating this fiction. Which is quite telling of you. Tsk tsk.
More doublespeak. You previously said you owned it, and facilitated acquiring the mortgage for it, but allowed your "daughter" to rent it out and collect the income, which was then used to pay down the mortgage. Sounds like another fee/tax dodge, just like your slip-hopping fee avoidance.

Frankly, I don't care about the legal technicalities. But my original criticism is valid: rather than making your mortgaged property available to coddle the abusers and criminals you apologize for, you -- via your daughter -- rent out the property for profit. That is your right. But don't turn around, in the same breath, and demand everyone else pay for criminal/drug abuser/purposefully-homeless housing and infrastructure. This is not taxpayer's responsibility.

Quote:
As to the ways in which I do “partake” of solutions to homelessness, I have also mentioned a number of times several ongoing efforts I participate in to benefit select homeless persons ... mostly veterans.
Good. And without denigrating the things you mention, the truth is you're helping a very select and targeted group near-and-dear to you personally. I have no comment on these efforts.

But this is quite separate and apart from the able-bodied methed-up criminals who are stealing, robbing, and defecating on San Francisco (and Los Angeles) streets. If people want to voluntarily help able-bodied criminal drug abusers, so be it. Just don't use government force to extract from hard-working citizens to support the purposefully lazy and the criminally violent plaguing the streets. Instead, enforce the laws. Arrest, convict, incarcerate.

Would the criminal behavior we all see on San Francisco streets be tolerated in the military? Answer: not on your life. It'd be up and out, immediately if not sooner. Hard-working citizens living among criminal drug abusers deserve the same. Period.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
More doublespeak. You previously said you owned it, and facilitated acquiring the mortgage for it, but allowed your "daughter" to rent it out and collect the income, which was then used to pay down the mortgage. Sounds like another fee/tax dodge, just like your slip-hopping fee avoidance.

Frankly, I don't care about the legal technicalities. But my original criticism is valid: rather than making your mortgaged property available to coddle the abusers and criminals you apologize for, you -- via your daughter -- rent out the property for profit. That is your right. But don't turn around, in the same breath, and demand everyone else pay for criminal/drug abuser/purposefully-homeless housing and infrastructure. This is not taxpayer's responsibility.

Good. And without denigrating the things you mention, the truth is you're helping a very select and targeted group near-and-dear to you personally. I have no comment on these efforts.

But this is quite separate and apart from the able-bodied methed-up criminals who are stealing, robbing, and defecating on San Francisco (and Los Angeles) streets. If people want to voluntarily help able-bodied criminal drug abusers, so be it. Just don't use government force to extract from hard-working citizens to support the purposefully lazy and the criminally violent plaguing the streets. Instead, enforce the laws. Arrest, convict, incarcerate.

Would the criminal behavior we all see on San Francisco streets be tolerated in the military? Answer: not on your life. It'd be up and out, immediately if not sooner. Hard-working citizens living among criminal drug abusers deserve the same. Period.
More bullsh*t from you. Lol. I never ever said I owned a B&B. My daughter owns a B&B, yes. She’s in her 50’s. I helped her qualify for financing her mortgage. And I remodeled her units. She’s a grown woman with daughter to support and I have no claim to force her to donate her units. She couldn’t make the payments if she donated them so what would be the point? She’s not in a position to do what you suggest I should do. And I don’t make dime one off her property.

Neither do I practice “fee-avoidance” by “slip-hopping”. I pay berthing rates at multiple marinas that do not allow liveaboards ... but, like most marinas, they allow several overnights a week. I travel a lot. Sometimes gone from all my three slips for months at a time. Why would I rent slips at liveaboard marinas that require me to pay standard + liveaboard when I only use any of the marinas about 20% of the time?

You just have a personal attitude toward my posting factual rebuttals to your ideological fantasies ... so you distort and leap to fictions to try to discredit me. I find you immensely entertaining

Yes, I target my efforts to situations I am most qualified and motivated to serve.

Meanwhile, back to my question: what do YOU do ... other than rant like a little kid who missed naptime?

I haven’t asked you, or anyone else to do anything or contribute. Don’t care if you do. My modest mission on these threads is to correct bullshirt mythologies ... and point out that: either society shelters the chronic homeless - or you will continue to suffer their filth, messes, disruptions, and soaring expenses to public budgets relating to law enforcement, sanitation and public health management, and loss of tourism revenue along with general community blight management.

You can be foaming at the mouth furious until you pass out and or have an aneurysm. You can rant about accountability and responsibility to these chronics until you have a heart attack. But you can’t force them to your will of what you envision they should be. They WILL be what they are. And our nation’s laws don’t allow for you to round them up like cattle and intern them or kill them off at your will.

Have a nice evening.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 1,149,462 times
Quote:
Neither do I practice “fee-avoidance” by “slip-hopping”. I pay berthing rates at multiple marinas that do not allow liveaboards ... but, like most marinas, they allow several overnights a week. I travel a lot. Sometimes gone from all my three slips for months at a time. Why would I rent slips at liveaboard marinas that require me to pay standard + liveaboard when I only use any of the marinas about 20% of the time?

In SF (which is what we discussed previously when you said you lived here) and most marinas, there is no distinction (most allow) - but only a certain percentage of slips will be allotted ’liveaboard’ status (which is how it first came up). Not mincing words or technicalities - you live on your boat. It is definitely splitting hairs to repeatedly tally up nights everywhere rather than simply pay for live aboard status since you are ‘wealthy’ and it’s not that much of a difference, especially if you don’t pay for utilities or monthly expenses on a home. This was when you claimed to split your time between SF and San Diego (now it’s gone from 50% of the time to less than 20%, gotcha). It was part of the thread because someone had called you ‘homeless’ in SF (due to living on a scrappy rig); I actually defended you against such (and still do). I do not consider you homeless in the least; in fact, as a guy who loves sailing, I envy you - though I doubt I would ever opt to do the same in my own retirement, especially in the US.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-18-2019 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
In SF (which is what we discussed previously when you said you lived here) and most marinas, there is no distinction (most allow) - but only a certain percentage of slips will be allotted ’liveaboard’ status (which is how it first came up). Not mincing words or technicalities - you live on your boat. It is definitely splitting hairs to repeatedly tally up nights everywhere rather than simply pay for live aboard status since you are ‘wealthy’ and it’s not that much of a difference, especially if you don’t pay for utilities or monthly expenses on a home. This was when you claimed to split your time between SF and San Diego (now it’s gone from 50% of the time to less than 20%, gotcha). It was part of the thread because someone had called you ‘homeless’ in SF (due to living on a scrappy rig); I actually defended you against such (and still do). I do not consider you homeless in the least; in fact, as a guy who loves sailing, I envy you - though I doubt I would ever opt to do the same in my own retirement, especially in the US.
Jesus this is actually funny as hell.

You don’t recall correctly what I wrote in the past ... and you apparently don’t know squat about marinas and moorage ... even though you say you sail.

Square this away, sailor:
1. I did not say I split my time 50% between SF and SD. When I last lived in SF (after previously living aboard in the Delta at a liveaboard marina where I paid live aboard fees because I was still working my business) I lived at the SF Marina along the Marina Green as my home base (following my retirement). That marina does not allow liveaboards. At all. Not 15%. Not 10%. Not 5%. Not even 1%. Zero liveaboards allowed. But I also had my Delta slip, and, with retirement, I started traveling more than before ... for example: spending typically May to October in Washington State’ islands. So, splitting my time between Delta, SF Marina ( which allows three consecutive nights a week aboard), and Washington, I wasn’t anywhere 50% of the time.

2. Roughly 5 years ago, I moved to San Diego as new home base, to a military marina that does not allow ANY ... as in zero ... liveaboards except active duty. I’ve been retired from military since early 90’s. But that marina, like two other military marinas in SD, allows 3 nights a week aboard. No extra charge. Lots of boaters enjoy staying aboard part time. I keep one slip, and move around to the other marinas where I pay overnight only fees, without maintaining permanent tenancy.

3. I also have a slip in Morro Bay ... again at a marina that does not allow ANY ... as in zero ... liveaboards. Zip. But they allow part time stays. Which I enjoy escaping to ... a lot. I may have written a guesstimate that I split my California time roughly between SD, home base, and Morro Bay. But even there, it’s far less than 50% of total time because I spend 4 - 5 months in Washington, where I moor off the beach of a friend’s island waterfront property ... for free ... which friend is happy with because I enjoy working on his cabins and boats with him to keep busy ... which is what I do. Lots of energy for a guy in his 70’s. Still can’t sit still without wearing myself out first.

So. Do. You. Get. It. Now? I am not avoiding liveaboard fees by sneaking around. What I do is completely allowed by the marinas. And I am not the only one doing this.

You are a very odd individual. I enjoy some of your posts. I marvel at your oddness in others, often. Effing bizarre. But funny bizarre pretty much. So enjoy.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
By the way, also worth remarking that you sure don’t seem to know much about marinas and stay aboard policies ... or that liveaboard fees at marinas that allow living aboard are sometimes as much as double standard berthing. The way I move around, it doesn’t make any sense to keep a full time liveaboard slip.

As for how cheap I live for a guy with money? How do you think an enlisted Navy airman / blue-collar printer became wealthy? While most people are paying their mortgages, I lived cheap and invested in gold. Lots of ways to skin a cat, Cowboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or