Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I grew up in the 4th largest city in the US (Houston)...to this day downtown Houston is one of the cleanest cities I have ever stepped foot in. The difference is people here care about having a clean city, people here care about not having needles, people shooting up in broad daylight, people pitching tents and sleeping on public land/public benches, people defecating on sidewalks and porches.

We have laws against the behaviors you find in SF and we have a police force who does their job.

There something very wrong with a city and the people who live in that city, who simply ignore what you see destroying SF.
Because the vast majority of the city doesn't have these issues??? I don't know I am just guessing. But what do I know, I actually live in the city and not in some non-descript Oklahoma suburb like the people commenting about San Francisco after riding the big red bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:28 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,771,702 times
What the left wing loons don't get is that in the process of trying to make everyone equal you will create more poor, kill their upward income mobility, and kill off the middle class. You do not see this type of stuff in conservative stronghold cities like Mesa, OK City, Greenville or Fort Worth. They tend to be very clean and very good places for the middle class to live and raise a family.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
What the left wing loons don't get is that in the process of trying to make everyone equal you will create more poor, kill their upward income mobility, and kill off the middle class. You do not see this type of stuff in conservative stronghold cities like Mesa, OK City, Greenville or Fort Worth. They tend to be very clean and very good places for the middle class to live and raise a family.
I would rather live in Saigon than OK city straight up. Also, I am SURE that OK City doesn't have bad areas. Oh wait, it does. They are just segregated. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The reason SF gets a bad rep is because you actually see the issues vs. cities in the South where they are conveniently segregated in poor areas "where decent folk don't go". If you think your city doesn't have these issues, you are clueless. The cops just jam these people in the poor neighborhoods where the people don't have the political capital to complain.

Mesa hasn't solved the drug issue. OK City hasn't solved the homeless issue. Huntsville, AL hasn't solved the poverty issue. Kansas City, MO has not solved the crime issue. These are just Conservative fairy tales. They have just isolated them to poor areas where white suburbanites don't see them and pretend like they don't exist.

Guess what, the vast majority of SF residents don't see these issues where they live, either as my OP states. This is a fact.

SFPD can round up everyone tomorrow, stick them in the Bayview and you and your ilk will consider the issue solved, because you don't see it. However, that will not solve anything.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,941,056 times
Exclamation Feces and needle cleanup costing San Francisco $30 million/year

Quote:
The 2016-2017 budget for San Francisco Public Works includes $60.1 million for “Street Environmental Services.” The budget has nearly doubled over the past five years. Originally, that money, was intended to clean streets, not sidewalks. According to city ordinances, sidewalks are the responsibility of property owners. However, due to the severity of the contamination in San Francisco, Public Works has inherited the problem of washing sidewalks. Nuru estimates that half of his street cleaning budget – about $30 million – goes towards cleaning up feces and needles from homeless encampments and sidewalks.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html

Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 PM

21,578 posts, read 16,084,754 times
Yes. Another example of exactly why it is cheaper to house the homeless hoss
Oh, and cheaper to provide safe injection sites, hoss

Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,219,637 times
I traveled to San Francisco last September to see Lana Del Rey at the Bill Graham Theatre. When I got back home and people asked how my trip was, I told them it was great (I stayed in South San Francisco) but that I was shocked at the condition some of (what are presumably very expensive areas to live in) San Francisco was in.

People looked at me like I was giving SF an unfair shake because, after all, everyone loves San Francisco, its the greatest right?

I saw this article last night and it appears that it is worse than I made it out to be.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 PM

317 posts, read 370,444 times
People who just pay 1 million plus for a fixer upper or 4500 for a.studio. ironic there is so.'m much garbage in Sf despite all the money earned and soent

Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,239,758 times
The people defending SF's lack of getting it together, amazing!

Right, there's no trash and filth in the Mission or Inner Richmond or Balboa Park. Give me a break. Maybe there's not feces in Richmond or Sunset, but there's still a hell of a lot of trash. Balboa Park BART area smelled of urine last I was there and the Mission is just as bad as DT, SOMA, and Tenderloin. Sure, not all of SF is SOMA but a huge amount of the city is SOMA.

Just admit it's bad and that something needs to be done. Last time I showed visitors around the city I was super embarrassed as my husband stepped in poop right outside the MoMA. Unacceptable.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,206,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Because the vast majority of the city doesn't have these issues??? I don't know I am just guessing. But what do I know, I actually live in the city and not in some non-descript Oklahoma suburb like the people commenting about San Francisco after riding the big red bus.
Not relevant to anything I posted...but again your'e only guessing/speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland