Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I really don't understand the people who seem to be ok with their city being in this kind of state? Stop writing it off as "character" of just the way "urban cities" are. Vancouver, Seattle, NYC, DC, Atlanta are all much cleaner than SF (although, I found downtown Portland to be pretty grungy). They also get rain more often which might be a big factor, and also means our city needs to be more proactive.

Enough with the house the homeless or provide them restrooms and this all will go away talk. We already pay enough in taxes thanks. I'm not about to give up more of my hard earned money to our bloated government so they can poorly attempt to fix the situation. In fact, I'm more in favor of cutting them off and seeing what happens. If the resources go away, will the people flee too? It's quite clear that doing what they've been doing for decades isn't working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I haven't been in a few years so unless there was some massive cleanup NYC is NOT cleaner than SF at all. Less visible homeless sure, cleaner and less litter...hell no. Trash fires in the subway are a regular occurrence there.
To which I would add that NYC just received the #1 ranking for filthiest American city in a survey that places SF at #9. There's a thread just started on that in this SF forum.
SF ranks 9th Dirtiest US City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
A filthy dump where the average home goes for over a million dollars. Just one more nut job story that has made it's way out of the bubble. If I could afford it I would move back there

Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
I cannot say I've seen every nook and cranny of the NY area, but the last few times I was there (Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn) it absolutely was cleaner than SF. And I never smelled urine or poop.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I cannot say I've seen every nook and cranny of the NY area, but the last few times I was there (Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn) it absolutely was cleaner than SF. And I never smelled urine or poop.
Same could be said of San Francisco, if you didn't walk down Market or the Tenderloin ...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:45 AM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
I could see how NY could seem dirtier by default due to the sheer number of people and lack of an alley system (people in Chicago seem to have a problem with that in particular). NY doesn't have any equivalents to areas like the tl or 16th and mission in 2018 though.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Vigilantes should go around with baseball bats and beat the screaming homeless to death. It's a mercy killing.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Same could be said of San Francisco, if you didn't walk down Market or the Tenderloin ...
Why do you people keep implying that I, and others commenting in this forum, never go out of the general Downtown/SOMA area?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Why do you people keep implying that I, and others commenting in this forum, never go out of the general Downtown/SOMA area?
“You” as in the generic pronoun applying to any reader.

I lived in SF on and off since the mid-1960's until about 3 years ago. Most of the city is not reeking of poop and urine.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Same, NYC is in general a lot cleaner and more hygienic than SF.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly. I lived in San Francisco for years, mostly in the Sunset/SFSU and "Silver Terrace" (off Paul Ave) neighborhoods - and I never saw the level of filth being discussed here. And I've literally NEVER witnessed anyone pooping on the streets, not even when I was in the shady parts of town. Sure, we have a lot of homeless, but they mostly congregate in certain spots and never bothered me. What do I know, though, as a 35-year resident of the Bay Area?
It's a lot worse these days. Walking around Civic Center is high risk. You'll see human waste and people shooting up. Parts of SOMA have cleaned up, but you'll see homeless people indoorways sleeping in SOMA, Union Square, Chinatown and parts of the Financial District. It isn't an exaggeration.

NYC feels way cleaner in the core areas than SF by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland