Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:43 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
You can't have an opinion about facts. sorry. The facts are that the vast majority of the city doesn't have these issues.

The reason SF gets a bad rep is because you actually see them vs. cities in the South where they are conveniently segregated in poor areas "where decent folk don't go". If you think your city doesn't have these issues, you are clueless. The cops just jam these people in the poor neighborhoods where the people don't have the political capital to complain.

Phoenix hasn't solved the drug issue. OK City hasn't solved the homeless issue. Huntsville, AL hasn't solved the povery issue. Kansas City, MO has not solved the crime issue. These are just Conservative fairy tales. They have just isolated them to poor areas where white suburbanites don't see them and pretend like they don't exist.

Guess what, the vast majority of SF residents don't see these issues where they live, either as my OP states. This is a fact.

SFPD can round up everyone tomorrow, stick them in the Bayview and you and your ilk will consider the issue solved, because you don't see it. However, that will not solve anything.
So homeless and addicts people aren't segregated to SOMA or the tenderloin??? Your talking out of both sides of your mouth either there's bad areas of SF or its bad all over. Which is it? How can you love living somewhere with so much misery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So homeless and addicts people aren't segregated to SOMA or the tenderloin??? Your talking out of both sides of your mouth either there's bad areas of SF or its bad all over. Which is it? How can you love living somewhere with so much misery?
Answer me this - DO you really think that your city doesn't have these issues?. The answer is always NO. You just don't see them because they are in the "other neighborhoods" and cops are urged to contain them so they don't bother the good folk.

I am entirely consistent. Here, I will break it out for you.

- SF has issues that all major cities have
- Just like all other cities, these issues are contained to several areas
- Unlike other cities, the areas with issues in SF are visible, therefore creating the misconception that they are widespread
- However, just like other major cities the vast majority of SF doesn't have these issues. So the vast majority of people have good lifestyles.
- Therefore, no, SF is not swimming in feces and Needles. Some areas are. The vast majority isn't
- However, because we view them every day, we are reminded daily about how much misfortune there is and it makes me volunteer and donate and people in SF tend to skew liberal.
- While, people in the "conservative success stories" of DFW, Mesa, Phoenix, etc. have segregated all of these problems to minority areas and go about their merry ways
- If SFPD followed the same tactics, they would stick everyone in the Bayview and voila, problem solved. However, problem isn't really solved, is it? You just don't see it anymore.

But you and many posters think that if all the struggling people were just jammed in the Bayview and market street was just an outdoor mall, the problem would be solved.

Look, nobody likes human feces and needles. However, I am not delusional and pretend that DFW doesn't have those issues. It does. It is just in areas you don't go, unlike in SF.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,286,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Am I saying every city is super clean and tidy, absolutely not.

What I am saying is, SF compared to many many cities, is simply a lot dirtier and pretty gross. A lot of that contributes from the out of control homeless population, but that’s just part of it. When people complain about it, there’s truth behind it. Over exaggerated, yes possibly, but still somewhat true
Do other cities have similar problems? Of course.

How much do they charge for a one bedroom in these San Francisco neighborhoods highlighted in the report?

Spot the difference.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

How much do they charge for a one bedroom in these San Francisco neighborhoods highlighted in the report?

Spot the difference.
How about a studio for $2200 in a crappy area? Overpriced, yes of course. And it still gets you nothing

$2200 in other cities has you living large, with no human poop to step over.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
As my user name says, I am really happy living in SF. I am not crying. I am just battling misinformation and lies spread on here by clueless out of towners.
Maybe Greg was posting to Finper, rather than to you?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM

522 posts, read 735,942 times
Quote:
I am usually pretty blaze about it, but I am starting to get really annoyed by people stating that SOMA/Tenderloin=San Francisco.

Yes, SOMA/Tenderloin have a lot of issues, but they are a small part of the city. The vast majority of the city doesn’t have these issues. Richmond, Sunset, Bernal, Ingleside, Diamond Heights, Glen Park, Noe, Miraloma Park etc. The city is NOT 10 blocks for Pete’s sake. I spend almost zero time in SOMA. I work in the Financial District and live in the Richmond. I go to restaurants in Richmond, Sunset, Mission, Bernal, Daly City, Castro. Sometimes in Tenderloin, too.

What major city doesn’t have bad areas? Have you been to the Eiffel tower? There are beggars everywhere. Paris has some of the worst slums in the developed world. Hong Kong has massive below the surface poverty with people literally living in cages. London had a whole high-rise burn down due to poor conditions. Seattle and Portland’s downtowns have the same issues as SF. Austin, Atlanta, too.

The people commenting on here are clueless out of towners who came in, got on the big red bus and clicked their tongues disapprovingly. No Market Street is NOT San Francisco. There are a lot of other areas you have probably never heard of where the vast majority of people live and don’t have those issues.

Yes, there are plenty of clueless/corrupt politicians in city government and yes SF should actually be doing much better than it is given the money in the system.

No, the streets of SAN FRANCISCO are not swimming in feces and needles. The streets of SOMA and Tenderloin – yes. I am sure your city has no bad areas.
So you're saying you can ignore the extremes of poverty because Glen Park exists?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Having people think that all of SF is gross might be a good thing, though. Unless you're a real estate agent :-)

Keep the secret to yourself, so even more people don't want to move there.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
So you're saying you can ignore the extremes of poverty because Glen Park exists?
Actually, not at all, but good try.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

Spot the difference.
Are you saying high rents are a good thing??

Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Quote:
Answer me this - DO you really think that your city doesn't have these issues?. The answer is always NO. You just don't see them because they are in the "other neighborhoods" and cops are urged to contain them so they don't bother the good folk.
Typical example of dodging and evading someone's question...asking a questing when asked a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland