Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
No one said SF is the only place with homelessness.
Thats exactly what he implied:
These things are not normal for most cities, even cities larger than San Francisco. It is among the few rare cities from developed countries with these issues so widespread-bmw335xi

Hence my response.

Homeless is a serious issue all over the developed world, up 30% in Vancouver in the past 4 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
First off does anyone in Orange walk?

Secondly, you have tent cities in your own area, so I find it odd you seem so transfixed on SF.
I was literally going to post the exact same response. Good job.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
I see now. You are upset by this article that states in the title, "Parts of San Francisco dirtier than foreign slums, UC Berkeley infectious disease expert says." YIKES!!! https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...s-12627779.php

I understand millions of dollars are thrown at this issue annually. In the last few years, Oakland has gotten similar issues. I never used to see people screaming at things only they could see over here but now it is more common - like in SF. Anyway, we got it good here and we got problems. What city doesn't. Relax.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I see now. You are upset by this article that states in the title, "Parts of San Francisco dirtier than foreign slums, UC Berkeley infectious disease expert says." YIKES!!! https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...s-12627779.php

I understand millions of dollars are thrown at this issue annually. In the last few years, Oakland has gotten similar issues. I never used to see people screaming at things only they could see over here but now it is more common - like in SF. Anyway, we got it good here and we got problems. What city doesn't. Relax.
Nope, i am not upset by the article. I am upset by the thread my title mocks.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Nope, i am not upset by the article. I am upset by the thread my title mocks.
I'd be upset if these were key findings in my city too. These are the issues you should be upset about not someone's opinion in Oklahoma or wherever. Maybe focus on the problem and not on what others think of the problem. That fixes nothing. These findings are just plain awful and should not be accepted. I'm assuming you are not disputing this below.

Key findings:
the survey discovered trash on every block surveyed
vast majority of trash includes "large heaps of garbage, food, and discarded junk."
100 drug needles found
300 piles of human feces "throughout downtown" San Francisco
young children walking to school regularly come across dirty needles and human feces
infectious disease expert says downtown SF "may be even dirtier than slums in some developing countries."
"The contamination is … much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India"
SF spends $60.1 million on "Street Environmental Services," i.e. street cleaning
due to downtown contamination severity, half this amount, $30 million, "goes towards cleaning up feces and needles from homeless encampments and sidewalks."
it takes 30 minutes to clean a single pile of feces on the sidewalk
supervisor says, "We're losing tourists. We're losing conventions in San Francisco."

Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
San Francisco has been the armpit of the Bay Area for quite some time due to the number of homeless people. This is a growing problem in many California cities. The situation will continue to escalate unless the elected officials find a long term remedy.

The current S.F. situation is not as extreme as some claim. The problem is confined to certain areas and not wide spread, yet. Nonetheless, it's a big problem. It will definitely worsen in very short time.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
San Francisco has been the armpit of the Bay Area for quite some time due to the number of homeless people. This is a growing problem in many California cities. The situation will continue to escalate unless the elected officials find a long term remedy.

The current S.F. situation is not as extreme as some claim. The problem is confined to certain areas and not wide spread, yet. Nonetheless, it's a big problem. It will definitely worsen in very short time.
Seriously, I wonder what the long term remedy is?

It's very sad to see them like that.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I was literally going to post the exact same response. Good job.
Its a very sobering vid. That OC area has got to be one of the biggest homeless encampments in the country if he bimes through a path for 10 minutes straight.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Seriously, I wonder what the long term remedy is?

It's very sad to see them like that.
Unfortunately, the homeless situation is a harsh reality. No one should live like that.

City leaders have no true workable resolve. As well intended as most people are, they do vote with their wallets.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Its a very sobering vid. That OC area has got to be one of the biggest homeless encampments in the country if he bimes through a path for 10 minutes straight.
I never said we don't have homeless .... I said I never see poop and syringes.

That encampment was cleared out yesterday. All that's left is piles of stolen bike parts. A judge ruled they must go and we gave them all a month long hotel voucher and we are paying for storage of their stuff and keeping their pets at the shelter for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland