U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:09 PM

522 posts, read 549,630 times

Advertisements

I made this post on Reddit in reference to someone inquiring about buying in Oakland, and I'm too lazy to edit it, but it still applies:

Richmond, from a residential perspective, gives you the same things Oakland does, but for less money. Places like East Richmond Heights are as nice as many parts of the Oakland hills. Most of Richmond is closer to Berkeley than a decent chunk of Oakland. Ferry service is about to run to San Francisco from Richmond, there's 3 BART stations in the area, the one in Richmond proper, and then 2 in El Cerrito. It's just a better overall idea. There's also more options for housing in Richmond. Want urban, yet safe? Richmond Annex. Want the feel of Marin County, but in the East Bay? Point Richmond. Want the Oakland Hill experience, but for a bit less? East Richmond Hills/Heights. Want big, boxxy new suburbia? Hilltop Village. Want a semi-rural area with some acreage? May Valley/El Sobrante (May Valley and El Sobrante are the same area, the difference is that May Valley is incorporated into Richmond city limits, while El Sobrante is unincorporated Richmond. ) If you want a neighborhood that is "up and coming" but still has some grit, so you can tell your friends you lived in "real Richmond"? North and East.

It's a good place to get in. I promise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeson View Post
Theres a really nice coffee shop called Catahoula Coffee on san pablo ave near the el cerrito border. That area is nice. I think buying property anywhere in the immediate bay area would be smart move. Dont rent.
That is indeed a good coffee shop.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:45 PM

85,808 posts, read 79,097,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I made this post on Reddit in reference to someone inquiring about buying in Oakland, and I'm too lazy to edit it, but it still applies:

Richmond, from a residential perspective, gives you the same things Oakland does, but for less money. Places like East Richmond Heights are as nice as many parts of the Oakland hills. Most of Richmond is closer to Berkeley than a decent chunk of Oakland. Ferry service is about to run to San Francisco from Richmond, there's 3 BART stations in the area, the one in Richmond proper, and then 2 in El Cerrito. It's just a better overall idea. There's also more options for housing in Richmond. Want urban, yet safe? Richmond Annex. Want the feel of Marin County, but in the East Bay? Point Richmond. Want the Oakland Hill experience, but for a bit less? East Richmond Hills/Heights. Want big, boxxy new suburbia? Hilltop Village. Want a semi-rural area with some acreage? May Valley/El Sobrante (May Valley and El Sobrante are the same area, the difference is that May Valley is incorporated into Richmond city limits, while El Sobrante is unincorporated Richmond. ) If you want a neighborhood that is "up and coming" but still has some grit, so you can tell your friends you lived in "real Richmond"? North and East.

Did you see the bolded, OP? You heard it here first, from Pixelated Therapy!
I know you don't work in SF, but ferry service is bound to add value to Richmond properties, and make it more desirable for techies and others working in SF, but looking for better-than-Oakland rents & RE prices. Get in.on the ground floor, or forever hold your peace.

Now, if we Ould only get ferry service that connected Vallejo & Richmond with Oakland, that would be something! Why is the focus all trans-Bay? There will come a day, when there's demand not only for weekend leisure visits, but for commuter service, among the east Bay cities.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,835,636 times
Quote:

I disagree Richmond has issues with refinery air contamination and explosions often enough to have an alert system in place and the refineries limit how many upscale families will find the area desirable. Rich people don't want their kids living near toxic air.

Walkable high end areas like rockridge and Crocker highlands with
artisanal chocolate,cheese and wine shops ?
Spin classes,The bar method ,yoga ?
Destination restaurants?

Venues like the fox and paramount?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 PM

85,808 posts, read 79,097,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
I disagree Richmond has issues with refinery air contamination and explosions often enough to have an alert system in place and the refineries limit how many upscale families will find the area desirable. Rich people don't want their kids living near toxic air.

Walkable high end areas like rockridge and Crocker highlands with
artisanal chocolate,cheese and wine shops ?
Spin classes,The bar method ,yoga ?
Destination restaurants?

Venues like the fox and paramount?
All good points, but for now, Richmond is for those, who can't afford Rockridge, etc. South Richmond, at least, may gradually morph into something closer to the likes of Solano Ave. and Rockridge, you never know. Granted, that would take awhile, which is why it's more affordable at this time.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:21 PM

36,268 posts, read 16,878,573 times
Quote:

The North/East parts of Richmond have never been 'gritty' that's always been considered a decent part of town. The craphole gritty part of Richmond, where houses are selling for and astonishing 300-400k, is the Iron Triangle, where I grew up. It too might gentrify, but if the economy takes a downturn it will be the first area to experience declines in property values and foreclosures. East Richmond Heights, Point Richmond and Mira Vista have always been desirable areas. Pinole is nice too and has had cheaper housing prices than other similar areas, it's also a fairly painless commute between Pinole and Oakland via Dam Road

Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 PM

53 posts, read 39,069 times
I live in the lower Richmond hills and there are some great options within a few minutes drive. If you find anything affordable in the right Richmond neighborhood, it would be wise to jump on it. My place's value has risen ridiculously since I bought it 5 years ago; plus my mortgage is 1/3 of what it would cost to rent that same home.

Where I am, the only thing really walkable is Wildcat Canyon Park. I know Point Richmond has a high walkscore, but that is probably the priciest part of Richmond.

I know of 3 venues within Richmond that sometimes have live music:
* Airship Laboratory - https://www.airshiplaboratories.com/
Mainly a studio, but occasional shows, very very nice room.

* Craneway Pavilion - http://www.craneway.com/
They have everything from rap shows to medical marijuana conventions to Wavy Gravy Birthday Festival concerts, on the water, by the Rosie the Riveter museum.

* Los Cenzontles Cultural Arts Academy - https://www.loscenzontles.com/
Mexican music school, that also has live performances. David Hidalgo from Los Lobos has played here on more than 1 occasion.

Also, down the street from Catahoula Coffee Company, which I saw someone else mention previously, is 'Mississippi Catfish' which is absolutely slamming!

Last edited by jonnydoe; 04-03-2018 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The North/East parts of Richmond have never been 'gritty' that's always been considered a decent part of town. The craphole gritty part of Richmond, where houses are selling for and astonishing 300-400k, is the Iron Triangle, where I grew up. It too might gentrify, but if the economy takes a downturn it will be the first area to experience declines in property values and foreclosures. East Richmond Heights, Point Richmond and Mira Vista have always been desirable areas. Pinole is nice too and has had cheaper housing prices than other similar areas, it's also a fairly painless commute between Pinole and Oakland via Dam Road
North and East always seemed semi rough to me. Not horrible, but reminiscent of the North Oakland Emeryville border. To be fair, I've never lived in Richmond, so I could be wrong.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:51 AM

181 posts, read 272,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Has anyone made the move to Richmond in the past year or two? How big of an adjustment has it been? Curious to hear from people who made the move from Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda, or San Francisco in particular, as these are urban-ish communities with lots of restaurants, amenities, etc.

I have rented long term in Berkeley and am considering buying a house or condo in Richmond. I have a regular 9-5 gig in San Rafael, so unlike most, I would have a shorter commute if I move. I have been priced out of all the communities listed above, excluding the not-nice parts of Oakland, as my budget is $600,000. I am single with no kids, in my early/mid 30's, and have rent control, so I'm not in a big rush. I'm just over my semi-slumlord experience, as well as the evolving homeless encampments in my neighborhood.
$600,000 will certainly get you something in Richmond. Hopefully you're mindful though that just as you were priced out of the communities you mentioned, you don't want to go to Richmond pricing out other folks (most people in Richmond probably don't have $600,000 to spare).

Old 04-09-2018, 04:50 PM

876 posts, read 702,954 times
A quick update on this thread... The real estate market moves fast, and I have already lost out on two bids for houses in Richmond. One was in Belding Woods, and one was in Coronado. I wasn't able to glean any insight into what I was up against for the Belding Woods house, but my agent was able to find out for me that the Coronado house had not one but two all cash offers, one with a 10-day close.

FYI, North & East is now gentrified. I recently looked at a home that was listed for $479,000, and it just sold this past week for $655,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or