Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,897,158 times

Advertisements

What the heck happened to the city of San Francisco? Soul completely robbed out of SF shockingly: sterile boring city. I was in San Francisco and found the city completely sterile: Mission District is very gritty with fewer creative types and scattered restaurants/shops. Haight is more dangerous and not as hip it once was. What's is left of SF?

*This is not a knock on the city; just very shocked and sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 AM

26 posts, read 52,328 times
Extreme liberalism happened. The city's apathy towards improving QOL issues and being too politically correct to take on crime. This is a city that prioritizes illegal aliens over citizens and worries more about whether you're drinking a soda than whether you're safe.

I moved a month ago after 10 years.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,126,046 times
All the right brainers had to leave because they can't afford to live there. OC is going through the same thing. I call it living in beige because all that's left is white collar elitists and homeless.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
What the heck happened to the city of San Francisco? Soul completely robbed out of SF shockingly: sterile boring city. I was in San Francisco and found the city completely sterile: Mission District is very gritty with fewer creative types and scattered restaurants/shops. Haight is more dangerous and not as hip it once was. What's is left of SF?

What era are you comparing it to? The Mission has always been gritty. It went through a phase of "creative types" and non-profit orgs locating there, but that was the first step toward gentrification, which continues in parts of it. What part of it were you in?

The Haight? When was the Haight hip last--the 60's/70's? Flower power has been over for a long time, old-timer! The Richmond is still a mellow nabe, the Fillmore still has character, City Lights is still alive and kicking along with the rest of North Beach.

It doesn't sound like you were in the City for very long; more like a hit-and-run judgment call. Has it changed? sure, what city hasn't? But you can still find the old SF flavor, if you know where to look, and are open to it.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times
Quote:

Sterile??? It's the opposite of sterile IMO. It's filthy.

Anyways, cities change over time, countries change over time, people change over time... everything changes over time...

Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

I guess exorbitant cost of living finally did this city in: tons of people(creative types) moved to East Bay, Sac. and Pacific Northwest. It's just left with a hollowed shell despite new high rises downtown/ mid rises in neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What era are you comparing it to? The Mission has always been gritty. It went through a phase of "creative types" and non-profit orgs locating there, but that was the first step toward gentrification, which continues in parts of it. What part of it were you in?

The Haight? When was the Haight hip last--the 60's/70's? Flower power has been over for a long time, old-timer! The Richmond is still a mellow nabe, the Fillmore still has character, City Lights is still alive and kicking along with the rest of North Beach.

It doesn't sound like you were in the City for very long; more like a hit-and-run judgment call. Has it changed? sure, what city hasn't? But you can still find the old SF flavor, if you know where to look, and are open to it.
From 23rd to 14th st. and Mission Delores park to Valencia. North Beach is meh: too many strip clubs and a no go zone at nights due to rowdy night life. The only area I haven't gone:Castro. Then what's left? Just look at the youtube video of SF in the 70's and even 80's: full of life, clean, and a lot of soul and happiness.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sterile??? It's the opposite of sterile IMO. It's filthy.

Anyways, cities change over time, countries change over time, people change over time... everything changes over time...
Meant to say sterile and filthy with lack of original soul

Old 04-05-2018, 11:38 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
I guess exorbitant cost of living finally did this city in: tons of people(creative types) moved to East Bay, Sac. and Pacific Northwest. It's just left with a hollowed shell despite new high rises downtown/ mid rises in neighborhoods.
There were actually some last holdouts, creativity-wise, in SOMA, among the old lofts there, but the last ones sold out in the early 2000's, and moved to the East Bay, Vallejo, etc. Some still sell their art in the Geary St. galleries, fwiw.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca30 View Post
Extreme liberalism happened. The city's apathy towards improving QOL issues and being too politically correct to take on crime. This is a city that prioritizes illegal aliens over citizens and worries more about whether you're drinking a soda than whether you're safe.

I moved a month ago after 10 years.
I've only been to SF three times in my life (in 1985, 1993 and 2001), but from what I've read I would think it's the other way around.....a lot of the stuff that made SF "fun and unique" was replaced with urban versions of boring chain stores and it all also became super-yuppie and too expensive. A very similar "boring evolution" is true about Manhattan/NYC (though ironically a lot of people say what you say about the latter as well, with proposed soda taxes and sanctuary city legislation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland