Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Let me see - affluent young family with two kids and a baby on the way... say no more. Just look in Noe Valley. Done.

If you don't find anything in Noe, then expand gradually from the center of Noe until you find what you like - to Castro, Glen Park, Mission Dolores, Duboce Triangle, etc.

Don't worry about Richmond, Sunset, Forest Hill, Potrero Hill, Telegraph Hill, etc. Those are nice area for sure; but I've seen this movie too many times - rich family transplants do all the research, visit all the neighborhoods, and at the end they just end up in Noe Valley or surrounding nabes or wish they could afford Noe Valley or surrounding nabes.

Just save the time and energy - focus on Noe. If you don't find what you like, come back and I can offer more options (because 4/5 times people cross Noe off the list not because they don't like, but because of the price. So then we can focus on a more price aligned neighborhood. ). And if you do decide to settle in Noe, get a Labrador to add to your collection of kids and a stroller; and you'll fit right in.

Disclosure: I DO NOT live in Noe.
Hah, don't they call Noe Valley "Stroller Valley" because of all the families with young children around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 03:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Let me see - affluent young family with two kids and a baby on the way... say no more. Just look in Noe Valley. Done.

If you don't find anything in Noe, then expand gradually from the center of Noe until you find what you like - to Castro, Glen Park, Mission Dolores, Duboce Triangle, etc.

Don't worry about Richmond, Sunset, Forest Hill, Potrero Hill, Telegraph Hill, etc. Those are nice area for sure; but I've seen this movie too many times - rich family transplants do all the research, visit all the neighborhoods, and at the end they just end up in Noe Valley or surrounding nabes or wish they could afford Noe Valley or surrounding nabes.

Just save the time and energy - focus on Noe. If you don't find what you like, come back and I can offer more options (because 4/5 times people cross Noe off the list not because they don't like, but because of the price. So then we can focus on a more price aligned neighborhood. ). And if you do decide to settle in Noe, get a Labrador to add to your collection of kids and a stroller; and you'll fit right in.

Disclosure: I DO NOT live in Noe.
Don't bother with Noe Valley! It is one of the most overrated and overpriced neighborhoods in SF. It is just 4 or 5 blocks of yuppie type restaurants and stores on 24th. There is also a small Whole Foods on 24th. I think it is the smallest Whole Foods in the city. People call it Half Foods since it is so small. Even though it is the closest Whole Foods to where I live, I make the extra drive to the bigger and newer one on Ocean Ave. Since the Good News newsstand closed I have no reason to ever go to Noe Valley.

Noe Valley used to be good for commuters going south to Silicon Valley because of the easy entrance to the city from the San Jose exit on 280 north. This changed when the idiots in SF city govt. eliminated a lane on San Jose. Now there is a daily 1 mile+ traffic jam during the evening rush hour trying to get back into Noe Valley.

Public transportion is also not as convenient in Noe Valley. There is only the J car going downtown at Church and 24th. This is a slow ride on Church until it goes underground at Duboce and Market. Compare this to West Portal or Forest Hills. From there the K,L or M trains go downtown and the route is all underground. It is only a 12 minute ride to Powell from Forest Hill Station.

Forest Hill, Forest Knolls, Midtown Terrace, West Portal, Inner Sunset, Parkside, Inner Richmond and Laurel Heights are some of the best choices for a family with a commuter going downtown.

Parkside is also the kiddie martial arts capital of SF. From 16th to 20th along Taraval there are 5 martial arts schools catering to kids.

Definitely avoid the Dolores Park neighborhood with a family!

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...438618733.html

"It's Getting Worse: Crime Plagues San Francisco's Dolores Park Where Triple Shooting Occurred"

Last edited by capoeira; 04-24-2018 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 01:48 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Don't bother with Noe Valley! It is one of the most overrated and overpriced neighborhoods in SF. It is just 4 or 5 blocks of yuppie type restaurants and stores on 24th. There is also a small Whole Foods on 24th. I think it is the smallest Whole Foods in the city. People call it Half Foods since it is so small. Even though it is the closest Whole Foods to where I live, I make the extra drive to the bigger and newer one on Ocean Ave. Since the Good News newsstand closed I have no reason to ever go to Noe Valley.

I agree Noe is definitely overpriced and maybe overrated. But there's a reason why it's overpriced, lots and lots of people wants to live there.

Telling a young family to avoid Noe is like telling a group of college kids visiting Miami to avoid the South Beach. Yeah, I see your point about it being potentially overrated, but still it should be near the top of the list.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Personally, I don't think SF is a great place to raise a family. Yes, it would be easier if you can afford a larger place and send your kids to private schools. But, the day to day conveniences are such a hassle. I compare how easy it is to make Target/Costco runs now that I live in the suburbs vs when I lived in SF, and its like night and day.

Since you're interested in convenience to the Embarcadero, I'd recommend one of the suburbs on BART, where you have top schools. I'd consider Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek and Pleasanton. There are others as well, but that'll require a bit more driving.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Personally, I don't think SF is a great place to raise a family. Yes, it would be easier if you can afford a larger place and send your kids to private schools. But, the day to day conveniences are such a hassle. I compare how easy it is to make Target/Costco runs now that I live in the suburbs vs when I lived in SF, and its like night and day.

Since you're interested in convenience to the Embarcadero, I'd recommend one of the suburbs on BART, where you have top schools. I'd consider Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek and Pleasanton. There are others as well, but that'll require a bit more driving.
What day-to-day conveniences? Many people who have been raised in the area don't use or need big-box stores. That's part of the charm of places like SF and Berkeley/Oakland neighborhoods. Life harks back to the time when you could get everything you need in your neighborhood shops and hardware stores, and on special occasions, you'd go to the department stores in downtown SF or Oakland. The neighborhood hardware store in Berkeley that my mother grew up shopping at is still there. The bookstore is still there, going strong, under new ownership. What could be more convenient, than walking to your neighborhood shopping street, or taking a short drive, vs. hauling yourself out through traffic to some mall on the edge of town?

It's a different way of life, a different pace, when you can walk to your neighborhood shops, attend an event at the bookstore, browse the shops to see what's new, and contribute to the local economy in the process, rather than feed some national corporation. You run into neighbors while out and about, and have a friendly chat, or a smile and wave. Would someone from NYC appreciate that? IDK. They should try it; they might like it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-25-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
Quote:

Neighborhoods like noe valley, rockridge and trestle glen/Crocker highlands are all about convenience.people pay $2 million+ For the upscale walkable areas
Destination restaurants
Yoga,spinning,bar method,gyms
Artisanal wine cheese,chocolate etc
Farmers markets

Big box Costco convenience is not what they are looking for

Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What day-to-day conveniences? Many people who have been raised in the area don't use or need big-box stores. That's part of the charm of places like SF and Berkeley/Oakland neighborhoods.
When you have young kids, buying things like diapers, wipes, toilet paper in bulk becomes a necessity. You aren't going to get that in your mom and pop store without paying a fortune. Then again, I guess for those where money is no object, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I think the city has a lot of redeeming qualities and I really enjoyed living there with my wife, before kids. I'd probably consider moving back to a more urban area when I become an empty nester as well. But for now, just seems more hassle than its worth. Do I really want to expose my kids to belligerent homeless people on every corner, poor public schools, etc.? I get there are pockets of amazing neighborhoods, but you really cannot escape the urban blight entirely. Just doesn't seem very family friendly from my perspective.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:04 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
Quote:
When you have young kids, buying things like diapers, wipes, toilet paper in bulk becomes a necessity. You aren't going to get that in your mom and pop store without paying a fortune. Then again, I guess for those where money is no object, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I think the city has a lot of redeeming qualities and I really enjoyed living there with my wife, before kids. I'd probably consider moving back to a more urban area when I become an empty nester as well. But for now, just seems more hassle than its worth. Do I really want to expose my kids to belligerent homeless people on every corner, poor public schools, etc.? I get there are pockets of amazing neighborhoods, but you really cannot escape the urban blight entirely. Just doesn't seem very family friendly from my perspective.
Ok costco and amazon deliver that bulk stuff. There is no reason to schlep over to Costco.

Nobody is even thinking about public schools in those types of neighborhoods.
Percentage of students K-12 enrolled in private schools:
Noe Valley: 91.6%
San Francisco: 28.3%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...#ixzz5DkQMAhZd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland