Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times

Advertisements

Can we stop getting the multiple ridiculous threads. here are some actual facts

https://www.paragon-re.com/trend/med...y-area-decline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I particularly like the articles where we have one bad or tepid month of job growth and they say its the beginning of a recession, tech boom is over, etc.. then the next month it bounces back robustly and they're like "oops never mind".

Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Somebody must be moving out. I just checked the U-Haul site for rates. The cost of a 26 foot moving truck from San Francisco to Las Vegas this month is $2,085 for a one way four day rental.

Then I reversed the destinations. The rental cost for the same truck from Las Vegas to SF is only $132.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have two family member couples that are moving up here to WA in the next few months from the Bay Area. Yes, people are leaving, but as the article says they are being replaced by even more people. Perhaps the people coming in are more likely to use a moving company than rent a U-Haul?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Somebody must be moving out. I just checked the U-Haul site for rates. The cost of a 26 foot moving truck from San Francisco to Las Vegas this month is $2,085 for a one way four day rental.

Then I reversed the destinations. The rental cost for the same truck from Las Vegas to SF is only $132.
well, as the article says a lot of highy educated foreigners are moving to BA. Hard to use a U-Haul to cross the ocean.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM

628 posts, read 818,970 times
Aren't most of the people moving in upper management or H1Bs foreign workers? People moving out are middle class people with families.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:28 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
We would definitely notice the traffic easing and rents dropping if people were leaving in droves. It happened during the mid 90's but it's not happening now despite all the wishful thinking articles. When companies start laying off en masse like during the dot.com bust, then it'll be very palpable. My husband is hiring for his department and has hundreds of resumes from people all over the country.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
What I find amusing is your characterization that all the threads are saying "Everyone is Leaving" when in fact the threads all say some people are leaving.
If I am wrong. please point me to the threads that say Everyone is leaving Ca.
Could it be you are just overly sensitive if someone posts something other than raving reviews of Ca?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What I find amusing is your characterization that all the threads are saying "Everyone is Leaving" when in fact the threads all say some people are leaving.
If I am wrong. please point me to the threads that say Everyone is leaving Ca.
Could it be you are just overly sensitive if someone posts something other than raving reviews of Ca?
I obviously embellished, hence the all caps, for dramatic effect. I LOVE IT when people argue semantics. You know how when people say the sky is falling, they don't actually mean the sky is literally falling? Or when they say are so hungry they could die, but they are actually not really close to dying? Similar to what I was going for.

Are we on the same page now? Ok

Obviously no one is saying everyone is leaving. The reality, though, is that we are seeing a deluge of threads, whose tone suggests that the only people left are homeless, 1%s and illegals. People are constantly posting articles to that effect, citing anecdotes etc.

That is obviously far from reality. As the article I posted suggest, the population is increasing and the people who are coming are not *gasp* (Note: I didn't actually gasp, just clarifying for aswlodge) illegals, as FoxNews would have you believe, but highly educated foreign workers, who come with families and pay taxes on their high incomes.

Every day for the past three years, it is - housing about to crack, bubble about to burst, UHAULS to TX cost $80,000 to CA $5, all of my extended family has moved out, no small businesses left, druggies are taking over etc.

Frankly it is tiring. I understand that the big boy on the block is a target, but it is just boring. Does CA have issues? Absolutely. Some very bad and of our own making. NO ONE DENIES THIS!!!!

Yet, the economy is the innovation engine of the world, it continues to attract some of the brightest minds globally, the scenery is beautiful, it is the 5th largest economy of the world, universities are top notch, and the state population is growing.

Every state in America would kill to have our economy. That's why every podunk governor comes to CA to try to entice companies to move. Yet they don't and keep growing here. When was the last time Jerry Brown went to MS to beg local companies to relocate to CA? When was the last time the San Jose mayor organized a bus tour for TX investors to show them why they should invest in CA companies?

Nobody ever answers those questions. These boards are supposed to provide useful information for families moving. Yet, they are overtaken by trolls who say things like "You will be barely scraping by on $150k"; "don't move here, it will be your biggest mistake" without any objective advice.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:36 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I obviously embellished, hence the all caps, for dramatic effect. I LOVE IT when people argue semantics. You know how when people say the sky is falling, they don't actually mean the sky is literally falling? Or when they say are so hungry they could die, but they are actually not really close to dying? Similar to what I was going for.

Are we on the same page now? Ok

Obviously no one is saying everyone is leaving. The reality, though, is that we are seeing a deluge of threads, whose tone suggests that the only people left are homeless, 1%s and illegals. People are constantly posting articles to that effect, citing anecdotes etc.

That is obviously far from reality. As the article I posted suggest, the population is increasing and the people who are coming are not *gasp* (Note: I didn't actually gasp, just clarifying for aswlodge) illegals, as FoxNews would have you believe, but highly educated foreign workers, who come with families and pay taxes on their high incomes.

Every day for the past three years, it is - housing about to crack, bubble about to burst, UHAULS to TX cost $80,000 to CA $5, all of my extended family has moved out, no small businesses left, druggies are taking over etc.

Frankly it is tiring. I understand that the big boy on the block is a target, but it is just boring. Does CA have issues? Absolutely. Some very bad and of our own making. NO ONE DENIES THIS!!!!

Yet, the economy is the innovation engine of the world, it continues to attract some of the brightest minds globally, the scenery is beautiful, it is the 5th largest economy of the world, universities are top notch, and the state population is growing.

Every state in America would kill to have our economy. That's why every podunk governor comes to CA to try to entice companies to move. Yet they don't and keep growing here. When was the last time Jerry Brown went to MS to beg local companies to relocate to CA? When was the last time the San Jose mayor organized a bus tour for TX investors to show them why they should invest in CA companies?

Nobody ever answers those questions. These boards are supposed to provide useful information for families moving. Yet, they are overtaken by trolls who say things like "You will be barely scraping by on $150k"; "don't move here, it will be your biggest mistake" without any objective advice.
Be careful as you backpedal, you are tripping over yourself.
I see lot of discussion going both ways with a few whiners like you saying how tired they are of it. Like I've told others, use the ignore feature if certain posters bother you, even when they reside in ca.
Here's a novel approach, ignore going into those threads. If California is so perfect why are you spending time here getting defensivel about it?
Part of the reason some people post things you don't like is to watch you and a few others get triggered which evidently is not hard. If you think California is so great why should a few posters get who so bent, unless you are insecure about how great California is. I'll bet the story of the Emporer' new clothes hits a nerve with you.
Many people have this perception that some Californians are arrogant and think they are better than everyone else in the country. I don't believe that's 100 percent true, but someone like you who is trying to talk down to me in you response certainly fits the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland