U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,012,499 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people undersell/ignore Treasure Island. The OP sounds like he/she is into photography, and the vantage point from TI is pretty unbeatable imo. At most, that detour would take 10-15 mins. Yeah, there’s not much else, but for an in-your-face view of SF’s skyline, nothing else really comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:13 AM

16,864 posts, read 20,706,544 times
I think when you do your Alcatraz tour, you should also visit Boudin's sourdough bakery and restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf. Sourdough bread is a San Francisco specialty. They have tours of the bakery with history and you can watch them bake the bread. It smells heavenly, and you can eat with views of the bay:

Waterfront Restaurant Dining in San Francisco | Bistro Boudin

http://www.bistroboudin.com/boudin-f...m-bakery-tour/

A classic San Francisco dish, is clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. You should experience it!

Madame Tussauds is also at Fisherman's Wharf. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but it's lots of fun.

You could do your Alcatraz tour, eat at Boudin's and also see Madame Tussauds in one day, without having to drive from one to another. I'm assuming your Alcatraz tour also departs from Fisherman's Wharf. But, if not, it would still be close and would be a quick taxi ride.

You can also catch a cable car from there.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-29-2018 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 1,708,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
First of all I want to say thank you to the people who has helped me in my several posts about my vacation in California, now let's go to the last part.

I am going to San Francisco during 3 days, it is the last part of our tour and we drive there from Fresno, I will show you our ideas about what to visit and tell me if we are right or we should add or eliminate anything.

Friday 6 July. (300kms)

Driving from Fresno to SF. Rental car until late afternoon.

Sausalito and Oakland are worth or should we go directly to SF city???

Arrival and find the good photo points for the Golden Gate:
• Crissy Field
• Mashalls Beach
• Baker beach.
• Twin Peaks: vista panorámica de la ciudad entera incluido el Golden Gate

After that we give back the car.

We plan to buy the MUNI 3 days pass, because we are not going to have the rental car in SF, does it include subway to the airpoort??

Saturday 7th July.
San Francisco.

• Painted Ladies and Haigh Ashbury.
• Old cable car ride.
•Lombard Street
• USS Pampanito (does it worth??)
•Pier 33 and 39.
•Chinatown

Sunday 8th July

9:10 a.m. Alcatraz tour.

After that we didn't want to plan anything in case we don't have time the preovious days to do our plan, or to have free time in case we are reccommended something interesting. We have free the rest fo the day.

Has anyone visited the Madame Taussauds??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
How many days is your entire trip? Which airport(s) for arrival and departure?
I'll **** people off by saying this, but skip Oakland. Sausalito is fine, but it's a madhouse in summer. You can call it the poster child for "touristy".
There's a lot to go over with your planned itinerary and I'm off to work right now, but can help out with some advice later.
Feel free to send me a private message. I notice you're from Spain, so write in Spanish, if you'd like.
I would skip the piers & Lombard. I disagree with the posters on the Painted Ladies. You can make a nice walk from Alamo Square, south on Divisadero, then east up Haight St. If you are a walker, you can continue this walk into Golden Gate Park, which is a definite gem.

I can appreciate why posters suggest you skip Oakland and Sausalito for your brief visit. One reason you may not want to is to see Redwoods. You can take a relatively brief hike in Redwood Regional Park in Oakland to see a great Redwood forest.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:06 AM

136 posts, read 322,418 times
Are there any neighborhoods in downtown SF to avoid? I'm going there in Aug - 2 adults and an 11 year old.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 AM

7,160 posts, read 12,774,885 times
A google search brings up lots of info and opinions on this topic.
Everyone seems to end up in Union Square, so you'll see some weird stuff there to be sure. Just don't travel southwest of that location unless you want an even more interesting experience.
Anyway, here's the first list you'll see when you google this:

Please be advised and tread carefully in these most dangerous places in San Francisco:

The Tenderloin.
Hunters Point.
Bayview.
Mission District. .
Outer Mission. ...
Western Addition. ...
SOMA (South of Market) ...
Golden Gate Park.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
A google search brings up lots of info and opinions on this topic.
Everyone seems to end up in Union Square, so you'll see some weird stuff there to be sure. Just don't travel southwest of that location unless you want an even more interesting experience.
Anyway, here's the first list you'll see when you google this:

Please be advised and tread carefully in these most dangerous places in San Francisco:

The Tenderloin.
Hunters Point.
Bayview.
Mission District. .
Outer Mission. ...
Western Addition. ...
SOMA (South of Market) ...
Golden Gate Park.
You are unlikely to encounter Hunters Point, Bayview, or the Outer Mission as a visitor. The Tenderloin is seedy--it is SF's grimy red light district. I would not characterize it as unsafe for an outsider, but not a desirable place to be.

Crime statistics will show that the Mission is one of SF's more dangerous neighborhoods. It is also where you'll find Mark Zuckerberg's pied-a-terre, some of SF's best restaurants, and the throngs seeking sun on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Exercise caution at night and be aware of your surroundings. As a general rule, streets from Valencia west are pretty nice, especially between 17th and 30th. The Mission is also home to SF's oldest building, Mission Dolores. It has many murals, including famed clarion alley, and is one of SF's quintessential neighborhoods.

Western Addition is usually easy to avoid, unless you plan to walk to Alamo Square from Hayes Valley (Alamo Square is in Western Addition, and Hayes Valley is a neighborhood that broke off from the larger Western Addition). Again, WA varies by block, but if I walk it, I usually take Hayes St. It's not bad, though I wouldn't do the walk at night. By the time you hit Divisadero, Western Addition is what I would characterize as a safe SF neighborhood.

SOMA has a fair amount of homeless people, and the bars around Folsom probably contribute to the crime statistics. I would avoid 6th St between Market and Howard, but otherwise consider SOMA a safe SF neighborhood.

Golden Gate Park has some drug-related activity at it's eastern fringe around Haight St. It is otherwise both safe and a lovely place to spend time. Enter the park from the Panhandle at Fell/Oak Streets (or from the north or south, Fulton or Lincoln.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,791,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Take a one mile walk to the hole-in-the-wall Saigon Sandwich and take out the best banh mi sandwich ever...

Other places I would eat at include Swan Oyster Depot, Hog Island, Sotto Mare, Little Star Pizza and La Mar (a little expensive...).

Take a drive down Castro Street. It may be a little uncomfortable for some but really it's not scary.
This just in...young rich gay men of the Caucasian-American persuasion are not scary.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:10 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,791,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I would skip the piers & Lombard. I disagree with the posters on the Painted Ladies. You can make a nice walk from Alamo Square, south on Divisadero, then east up Haight St. If you are a walker, you can continue this walk into Golden Gate Park, which is a definite gem.
Not if you walk east you won't. Golden Gate Park is west (quite a ways west) on Haight.

The Mission and Western Addition are gentrifying fast enough that I would say they're safe. Use normal precautions. It's not the South Side of Chicago by a long shot.

Despite the fancy hotels and stores, Union Square is fairly yucky because of the massive homeless population and their waste products.

I've been favoring western San Francisco (GG Park, Richmond, Sunset, etc.) in recent visits. The views are spectacular, the air quality is perfect, it's still historic, and it doesn't smell like pee.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Not if you walk east you won't. Golden Gate Park is west (quite a ways west) on Haight.

The Mission and Western Addition are gentrifying fast enough that I would say they're safe. Use normal precautions. It's not the South Side of Chicago by a long shot.

Despite the fancy hotels and stores, Union Square is fairly yucky because of the massive homeless population and their waste products.

I've been favoring western San Francisco (GG Park, Richmond, Sunset, etc.) in recent visits. The views are spectacular, the air quality is perfect, it's still historic, and it doesn't smell like pee.
Typo--I meant west on Haight.

WA's housing projects are not gentrifying. It's not terribly unsafe for outsiders, but it's also not Valencia.

Golden Gate Park, along with the Bridge and SFMOMA, is one of few must-visit places in San Francisco.

For visitors open to airbnb, staying in a legitimate residential neighborhood is absolutely best. The hotels in the western part of the city are fine, but I think Union Square is better for hotels than Lombard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland