U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 PM

465 posts, read 1,727,134 times

Advertisements

I read this forum on a daily basis, and have realized there's a major exodus taking place in California, due to the inability to "make it" financially. I see this exodus being heavy and popular in SoCal, and it's a pure shame. I have always dreamed of living in California, though, and am not ready to give up at least experiencing it, even if for only a year or two.

Cost of living will not matter to me at least for the first year. And I'm not at the stage of wanting to buy yet, just rent. Lately, I've been attracted to NoCal more than SoCal. I guess because SoCal seems to be in such a mess politically, immigration wise, high housing, high gas, crime, overpopulated and smoggy. Every community just seems to be suffocated. I originally was dying to go there because I LOVE beach communities, but then realized the water is less than desirable to swim in. I'd be just as satisfied having a view of the Bay area from my window, and taking weekend trips down to the beach if I want to go.

I do understand though, that SanFran is not cheap!! And I'm sure it's heavily populated, and has crime as most big cities. I just get the feeling it's different from L.A. area. I lived in Sacramento for about 3-4 months, and I can't tell you how depressing that was!!

Someone recently posted some great, great pictures of SanFran on the forum, and I instantly fell in love. I'm very optimistic, but not unrealistic about my future California experience. I understand Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Richmond, Noe Valley and the Mission are nice areas to live.

So, tell me something good about San Francisco, what do I have to look forward to? Despite all it's negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM

20 posts, read 78,881 times
There is great shopping...

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM

668 posts, read 1,988,275 times
And great people watching.....

Old 12-15-2006, 04:28 PM

167 posts, read 360,755 times
and fantastic food.... many venues of anything you can think of, unsurpassed natural and man made beauty... Its a fantastic place to live if you can afford it!
Lauren~ a native San Fransiscan

Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,468,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I do understand though, that SanFran is not cheap!! And I'm sure it's heavily populated, and has crime as most big cities. I just get the feeling it's different from L.A. area. I lived in Sacramento for about 3-4 months, and I can't tell you how depressing that was!!
I went to college in Stockton, so I totally know what you're saying about Sacramento! San Francisco is a million times better, but of course that's why it's more expensive. As for comparing it to L.A.? Well, they may as well be different states, in most Californian's opinions. Crime actually isn't too bad here (for a big city), as long as you stay away from certain neighborhoods... Hunter's Point, Bayview, Inner Mission/Civic Center, Tenderloin, Lower Haight, for example. Crime exists, obviously, but most of the city is relatively safe if you're smart & aware of your surroundings.

Quote:
Someone recently posted some great, great pictures of SanFran on the forum, and I instantly fell in love. I'm very optimistic, but not unrealistic about my future California experience. I understand Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Richmond, Noe Valley and the Mission are nice areas to live.
Pacific Heights and Nob Hill are the most desirable neighborhoods, and therefore the most expensive... expect to pay upwards of $1600-2000 for a one-bedroom apartment there! Richmond is a great place, and would actually be one of my first choices. It's in the "mid-range" pricewise, has lots of cute houses & flats for rent, and some really good Asian restaurants (Clement St. has a ton of them). It's pretty safe there, and convenient to Golden Gate park & the beach... but you probably won't find a water view unless you're in Outer Richmond, which has less availability. Noe Valley is really nice, and somewhere in-between Nob Hill & Richmond, as far as price and desirability... it has some very nice boutique-style shops and beautiful Victorians. I really like that neighborhood, and would love to live there - but I think it's a bit overpriced.

Finally, the Mission?? You definitely don't want to be in the Inner Mission, since it's pretty much crack-land... anything around 1st-8th streets & Mission will be scary, and not the type of place you can walk alone (male or female!). South of Mission, aka "SoMa", is a very trendy & newly developed neighborhood, which is somewhat nice... lots of cute places to rent, but I personally think the crime is still iffy. Other areas to consider would be Sunset (Outer Sunset if you want ocean views!), Potrero Hill, North Beach, The Castro, Hayes Valley, maybe Upper Haight, and I've also heard Bernal Heights is nice. If you want a great beach town outside of the actual city, Pacifica is my favorite... I lived there for a while, and really loved it! Here's a good run-down of the SF neighborhoods - http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/ (not sure if they're considered a competitor, so I apologize if this link's not allowed!)

Quote:
So, tell me something good about San Francisco, what do I have to look forward to? Despite all it's negatives.
Great people - funky/unique, open-minded, welcoming, mostly friendly, and just "cool" in general! Amazing views, great weather (if you hate the heat, like I do), loads of job opportunities, nightlife, culture/recreation up the wazoo, major universities, good social life, cultural diversity, beautiful homes, great shopping & tons of fantastic restaurants. We're also in a great location, only 3-4 hours from the ski slopes, 1 hour from Napa, and short drives to other nice coastal towns like Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, SLO, Mendocino, and so forth. If you can afford our high cost of living, I swear it's a wonderful place to live!!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,468,215 times
Here are some pictures from Pacifica... in case you need more convincing of this area's beauty.

View from my living room (and my kitties - the white one, Duchess, died 2 years ago. ):
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/IMG_1651.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 AM

1,379 posts, read 4,572,835 times
It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. You can pretty much pick out any restaurant type and eat different places three times a day for a year.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 14,715 times
leaving LA for SF... LA people just not that bright, although they can be nice to look at, they have little to offer intellectually. Getting around is much harder, killing spontaneity. If you are in tech, SF should be a no-brainer. If you are in entertainment - that's the only way I'd recommend LA.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 AM

1,379 posts, read 4,572,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliPeach View Post
There is great shopping...
And there is a new Bloomingdales!!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,388,590 times
It's gorgeous, sophisticated, lots to do, Opera in the Park once a year for free in Golden Gate Park, the coffeeshops, bookstores both new and used, restaurants of every and any conceivable type of food, neat antique stores and stores with just cool odd stuff, great clothing stores, lots of cafes, etc.
I think the Outer Sunset is a bit boring as you're isolated out there...I should know..I lived eight years at 43rd/Lincoln Ave. Also the outer Richmond is pretty much isolated too, except at least on that side when you're in the outer avenues there's a real grocery supermarket near the beach and it's not far from Cliff House, plus, Clement Street is nearby with all of those restaurants and small stores. You won't find a Wal-Mart or Target or big store like that, everything is Mom & Pop or Union Sq. department stores. I used to go to Daly City for major shopping, or better yet, to the East Bay out in Concord for the big shopping sprees of normal stuff. I think the most interesting neighborhoods to live in are Noe Valley, Green Street/Cow Hollow, Inner Richmond, Inner Sunset, Haight-Ashbury (though that's dicey), Duboce Triangle (close to Safeway!). There are good areas all over the city, but those interest me the most. If I were buying a house instead of living in an apartment, then my choices would be different as I'd love to be up on Mt. Davidson, Twin Peaks, or Pacific Heights. If your timeframe is set under two years, I don't see how you could go wrong trying San Francisco out for that period. It's fascinating, nowhere like it. Only thing is, people who live there tend to get city-bound and not leave for long periods, so even a trip to Oakland seems like an adventure if you don't get out of the City occasionally to break the 'spell'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland