Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times

Advertisements

We're good Mutt. Thanks. No need to have you involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
We're good Mutt. Thanks. No need to have you involved.
In other words, I nailed it. Your argument makes no sense?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM

I'm sorry Mutt. The conversation between me and Montclair is over. I'm sorry if you weren't able to participate. I think I hear Christopher Cross in the background playing your song.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Lol. Ok. I nailed it.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM

This should settle you down. Have a great day. I think there's a sale on spinach at the store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khQNR7s1Ho

Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Ok then. Moving on.

Quote:
It’s getting harder for people in Dallas-Fort Worth and other big cities in Texas to find affordable homes or apartments because the cost of housing is outpacing salaries.

That’s according to a new report from Harvard University.

Unemployment rates and downward spirals in home values weren’t nearly as bad in Texas during the national economic downturn as they were in other parts of the country. But the state’s large urban areas are still experiencing similar mismatches between housing stock and income as other American metropolitan areas.

Harvard researchers, elected Texas officials and development industry experts point to a number of reasons for the lack of affordable housing. They say that everything from stricter financing requirements to government regulations and labor shortages can drive project costs up to the point where smaller homes and rental properties for low-income people aren’t cost effective to build.

Conditions are particularly tight at the lower end of the market, likely reflecting both the slower price recovery in this segment and the fact that fewer entry-level homes are being built,” the Harvard report said.
In Texas, Finding Affordable Housing Is Tougher Than Ever, Study Finds | KERA News

Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im just grateful you didnt put up another pic of a man's head

Anything else?
I'm a little concerned by the fact you don't know who Jackie Chan is. Also, you don't understand memes I guess?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Low income households make up the majority of Californians moving to TX, now it's getting to expensive there as well...

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...ac-2-89522#ath
I have NEVER read anywhere that the majority of Californians moving out of state are low income - the majority are middle income.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/2...d-intensifies/

EXCERPT from above article:

"A dive into Internal Revenue Service data shows distinctly that, while poor people are indeed leaving, the largest group of outmigrants tends to be middle-aged people making between $100,000 and $200,000 annually.

They may not be ideal algorithm creators for Facebook, but they do constitute the solid middle ranks critical to any healthy economy.

Indeed, since 2010, the Golden State has seen an overall net outflow of $36 billion from these migrants (and that counts only the first year of income).

The biggest gainers from this exchange are where Californians are moving, to such places as Texas, Arizona and Nevada. That some California employers are joining them in the same places should be something of a two-minute warning for state officials."

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Californians, who obviously are not low income, are blamed for skyrocketing prices in Austin, TX, which have gone up higher than Dallas and Houston. Californians are attracted to Austin.

California's mess has been distorting other markets for a while.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/in.../269-396030496

EXCERPTS:

"The Defenders looked at wages and home prices over the last 26 years in the city and found family incomes rose 97 percent. At the same time, median home prices rose 290 percent."

"It's tough not to blame everything on the 160 people who move here every day, and for some they blame California. A recent study looked at where all of the people moving here are coming from and it's primarily California."

Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have NEVER read anywhere that the majority of Californians moving out of state are low income - the majority are middle income.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/2...d-intensifies/

EXCERPT from above article:

"A dive into Internal Revenue Service data shows distinctly that, while poor people are indeed leaving, the largest group of outmigrants tends to be middle-aged people making between $100,000 and $200,000 annually.

They may not be ideal algorithm creators for Facebook, but they do constitute the solid middle ranks critical to any healthy economy.

Indeed, since 2010, the Golden State has seen an overall net outflow of $36 billion from these migrants (and that counts only the first year of income).

The biggest gainers from this exchange are where Californians are moving, to such places as Texas, Arizona and Nevada. That some California employers are joining them in the same places should be something of a two-minute warning for state officials."
IRS data has it's usefulness but Id rather rely on actual census data for this as it covers everyone...

Quote:
Every year from 2000 through 2015, more people left California than moved in from other states. This migration was not spread evenly across all income groups, a Sacramento Bee review of U.S. Census Bureau data found. The people leaving tend to be relatively poor, and many lack college degrees. Move higher up the income spectrum, and slightly more people are coming than going.

About 2.5 million people living close to the official poverty line left California for other states from 2005 through 2015, while 1.7 million people at that income level moved in from other states – for a net loss of 800,000. During the same period, the state experienced a net gain of about 20,000 residents earning at least five times the poverty rate – or $100,000 for a family of three.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...136478098.html

Quote:
Low-income folks moved out, high-income folks moved in

People making $55,000 or less a year were mostly moving out of California between 2007 and 2016, the report found, while people making more than $200,000 a year moved in.

More of those residents with lower income were moving to states like Texas, Nevada and Arizona. And more of those with higher incomes were coming into California from states like New York, Illinois, and New Jersey.
Leaving California: Here's who's moving out, who's moving in. - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland