U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM

88,067 posts, read 82,017,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melimelo123 View Post
Thanks so much for all the detailed information, so helpful!

Glad I bumped into this forum!

I think I'll take the leap and will rent out the property for a bit once the current tenants move out in the fall so I can check out the area before making any long-term plan/purchase but from what you have all said, I will love it there which is reassuring!
That's probably a good idea. as long as your friend agrees to keep the selling price stable for a little while, while you decide. Let us know how you like it, after you get settled in! We love updates!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,095,849 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I currently live abroad but seriously considering moving to the Bay Area. An acquaintance is thinking of putting her house on the market in fall and I am strongly considering buying it off her as I love the house (based on pictures I have seen) and think it could be (potentially) a great investment. I would obviously visit the house and the area several times before purchasing anything, and there would even be the possiility to rent the property out for a few months, but I had a few questions before that to know if it would be even worth considering.

The house is located in Mariposa Ave (Oakland), I have been to SF many times before but never Oakland, so know nothing about the area really. Obviously I know that Oakland doesn't have the best reputation though I am also very much aware that things have gotten better in recent years. Safety is important for me as I have spent some time in places like Johannesburg and Cape Town where walking in the street is an invitation to get mugged or shot (or both!) and the only way to feel "safe" is by locking yourself into an electric fenced house with bars on every window and prison door at the entrace. Being there felt like walking on eggshells at all time and I hated every second of it so wouldn't want to have this type of experience again.

For info I am a young mixed-race non-heterosexual woman so being in a diverse and open-minded city where I can be myself is important. So is Oakland the place for me? is the area around Mariposa Ave relatively safe? I currently live in Europe where public transportation is amazing and where I can safely walk to most places and I enjoy walking a lot so being able to walk in my neighbourhood is important for me, from what I read on here it seems like Oakland also have pretty good public transportation and is walkable (lived in a small town in Florida a few years back where public transportation wasn't a thing and sidewalks barely existed so I know how rare walkable cities are in the US hence me wanting to relocate near SF instead)

Overall the bay area seems like the perfect area to settle for a bit in terms of what I am looking for, just not sure about Oakland as I have never been so would love to hear from locals about life there (weather, night life, safety, gay scene etc...) as nothing beats a local point of view.

I know how overpriced the bay area is and I have (reluctantly) made peace with that so mostly looking forward to hear if Oakland would suit what I am looking for/my profile.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the massive essay, I just wanted to give as much details as possible as not to drip-feed.
I understand that Oakland (especially North Oakland) has become pretty popular among lesbians in the Bay Area.

Oakland's poor reputation for safety is somewhat outdated and the geography of crime is an important dimension. Grand Lake, like many of the nicer neighborhoods in Oakland, is not far in terms of safety from other major American cities. East Oakland past High St & West Oakland are a different story.

Muggings do happen. American cities are not as safe as European cities. I don't consider Oakland unsafe, but individual tolerances will vary.

Oakland is reasonably walkable/bikeable, and transit is decent. Weather is temperate: summer's are warm to hot during the day and cool at night. Winters are brisk during the day and chilly at night, usually with a fair amount of rain.

Oakland has some great music venues and bars--especially in Uptown. Oakland may be the best place in the world to go to a bar on a Saturday afternoon--there is a ton of places with nice patios and the comfortable weather makes them useful all year.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info and the pics, that's really helpful!

Sorry if my OP came across as painting Oakland like a potential ghetto, it wasn't my intention as I am of course very aware that all cities have their good and bad spots. I think my bad experience in SA has affected me and really made me realize how paramount safety and feeling safe where you live is for me, living in places similar to Johannesurg where walking is mostly a no-go and where every place has signs saying you enter at your own risk isn't the type of environment I want to live in and I am glad Oakland is apparently not like that at all and is just suffering a bad rep due to some bad areas.

The pics looks gorgeous really and I am very pleased to hear it's a very liberal city!

I know Oakland property prices are very similar to the one's of SF, but I was wondering about daily life expenses. Is it as expensive to eat out, go to the gym, hairdresser etc... and buy things in Oakland as it is in SF? Or are those expenses also slightly less expensive in Oakland than they are in SF ? Is there also some monthly/yearly transportation passes that gives you access to both Oakland transportation system and SF transportation system?

Just trying to figure out more or less how much of a monthly budget I would have to allocate to public transportations/phone/gym/outings and entertainment on top of my bills etc... to have a global picture of how much life in the bay area/oakland is as I know people earning circa 100 000 a year are almost considered "low earners" in the bay area.
So I am curious to hear how much people living in Oakland spend on those things monthly (considering I won't have to commute daily to SF)?

Thanks a lot for all the precious informations, they are really helping me out!
I have found my life in Oakland somewhat cheaper than my life in SF (setting aside housing). If you will be working in the East Bay, transit costs should not be high. You may find biking to be a fine way to commute. Phone bills are comparable to the rest of the US. The cost of outings and entertainment will vary, depending on your tastes. You could have a great Saturday with $20. You could also easily spend $200.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:51 AM

2 posts, read 657 times
Everyone else has mentioned most of the stuff you should know about the grand lake area, but as I live here myself I thought I'd share a little insight.

The area you're planning on renting/possibly buying is fairly close to Piedmont Avenue and the Lakeshore/Grand Avenue areas which are really great for shopping, eating, and just chilling out. Near Lakeshore and Grand is Lake Merritt (the lake/park shown in the photo). There's a great 3 mile trail around the lake with great views that you can walk or bike anytime, as well as other fun things to do.

Pretty much everything I need to buy can be found just in the Lakeshore/Grand and Piedmont Ave areas, and I can easily ealk to those areas without worrying whatsoever about crime. Of course there are beggars around sometimes, but they never really cause any problems.

If you have any questions about the area feel free to ask!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:28 AM

38,085 posts, read 18,042,480 times
Great area and Oakland is a wonderful place to live. Oakland has the best climate in California, I'm jealous! Please keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland