Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago when I went to the movies, I was shocked to see two trailers of movies set in Oakland.

And here they come.

Beyond 'Black Panther': Thanks to a wave of homegrown filmmakers, Oakland is having a Hollywood moment

Just got back from watching Sorry to Bother You and it was so entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Even the article in your link admits "Ironically, “Black Panther’s” Oakland scenes were filmed in Atlanta, thanks to Georgia’s enticing tax credits.."

...and that's exactly what I said to my husband as we were watching "Black Panther."

"Wanna bet that was filmed in Atlanta?"

Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Even the article in your link admits "Ironically, “Black Panther’s” Oakland scenes were filmed in Atlanta, thanks to Georgia’s enticing tax credits.."

...and that's exactly what I said to my husband as we were watching "Black Panther."

"Wanna bet that was filmed in Atlanta?"
But Blindspotting and Sorry to Bother You are filmed in Oakland. And Black Panther did get some skyline photos.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM

830 posts, read 486,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Just got back from watching Sorry to Bother You and it was so entertaining.
I've been getting banner ads for the movie and they suggest it is a comedy. Can you give a brief summary of what the movie is about? The ads don't say much, but I'm intrigued by an independent movie coming out of Oakland. I was just a bit worried it would be too politically preachy.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
I loved the the moved Black Panther. I am not a typical movie watching person but I really enjoyed Black Panther.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM

227 posts, read 538,515 times
In addition to Blindspotting and Sorry to Bother You, which shot in Oakland with an Oakland locale, Ant Man vs. the Wasp also had a few scenes shot in downtown Oakland (not sure what the locale was supposed to be though).

Dapper, Sorry to Bother You is a comedy-fantasy set in Oakland about a telemarketer. Not sure if anything more would reveal the plot.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
I've been getting banner ads for the movie and they suggest it is a comedy. Can you give a brief summary of what the movie is about? The ads don't say much, but I'm intrigued by an independent movie coming out of Oakland. I was just a bit worried it would be too politically preachy.
I would say yes, it is a comedy/fantasy movie. And has commentary about capitalism and classism. The main characters are "underdogs" in a capitalist society.

I do not think the movie expected the audience to make an conclusions about this commentary. But you are meant to empathize with the main characters.

If you can't watch Robin Hood, because you don't like his mission - then yes you may not like this movie either. (And no, this isn't an Oakland based take on Robin Hood.)

Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Default Georgia, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
Ant Man vs. the Wasp also had a few scenes shot in downtown Oakland (not sure what the locale was supposed to be though).
From what I have found, AM&TW does not list Oakland as a filming location. I have't seen the film yet (we will wait for DVD), but the locale is supposed to be San Francisco, though it is filmed mostly in Georgia.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5095030/locations

"Ant-Man films Georgia as San Francisco with base at Pinewood Atlanta Studios"

Ant-Man films Georgia as San Francisco with base at Pinewood Atlanta Studios » The Location Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland