Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Burlingame on the peninsula has good weather, but you might have to drive to work.
Burlingame is a much better suggestion! From Burlingame one could drive to the Millbrae Bart station. It is a 32 minute ride from Millbrae to Embarcadero. It is also a 31 minute ride from Lafayette to Embarcadero. The difference is the train from Millbrae will not be as crowded. Parking would also be easier at the Millbrae station. The east bay Bart trains at rush hour are very uncomfortable overcrowded cattle cars. I would definitely avoid all East Bay locations if I had to commute to SF by Bart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrr106 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses, that gives me a lot to research. I clearly need to learn a lot about the area, I almost asked "where is Lamorinda?"
Lamorinda is a nickname given to the 3 adjacent towns of Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
I second (dozen) the Lamorinda area (Lafayette, Orinda, and Moraga). However, keep in mind that these communities are very car oriented, so you will have to drive to almost everything. Of the three, Lafayette has more of a proper town feel with a commercial center. Orinda's downtown is pretty small, and Moraga's commercial district is tiny.

If you want a more urban experience, consider Piedmont or Albany. Both have good AC Transit Transbay bus connections to SF, and both have good schools.

Piedmont is surrounded by Oakland, so you will have to do your shopping in Oakland. Places like Trader Joe's are a sh!tshow in this area, with huge crowds, congested parking, and "charming" Oakland street people. It's the color of life, I suppose, but you may tire of it quickly. A friend of mine grew up in Piedmont, and his family chose to drive to Montclair for shopping because the Grand Lake area was such a headache. At least the Safeway at Broadway & 51st was recently rebuilt and expanded, so now there's a decent option nearby.

I'm surprised Albany hasn't gotten a mention yet. Its schools are great. It is very walkable. Urban amenities in places like Berkeley are a short drive, bus ride, or bike ride away. And unlike Piedmont, you won't have to put up with the crowded, gritty shopping surrounding Piedmont. The only catch is that Albany is cooler than Piedmont and Lamorinda, as the fog likes that area more. Still not as bad as SF, though.

Also in the East Bay, consider Alameda's Bay Farm Island if you want a nice, big house near the shoreline. Decent schools, central location, and there is bus and ferry service direct to downtown SF.

Burlingame is nice, but you will be subjected to Caltrain (which only goes to Townsend & 4th, not all the way to downtown) for your commute. Proximity to Silicon Valley means less bang for the buck. Also, it's pretty darned suburban.

Speaking of suburban, if you want that vibe in a sleepy little town, consider Mill Valley. Popular with lawyers and stockbrokers, so there is excellent bus service to/from downtown SF. Schools are good, but local residents tend to suffer from affluenza.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Burlingame is a much better suggestion! From Burlingame one could drive to the Millbrae Bart station. It is a 32 minute ride from Millbrae to Embarcadero. It is also a 31 minute ride from Lafayette to Embarcadero. The difference is the train from Millbrae will not be as crowded. Parking would also be easier at the Millbrae station. The east bay Bart trains at rush hour are very uncomfortable overcrowded cattle cars. I would definitely avoid all East Bay locations if I had to commute to SF by Bart.
yeah but the $2.5 mn budget goes MUCH further in Lamorinda than Burlingame

Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
davdeen is right about Albany---it's a very nice town with excellent schools, and is a pretty vibrant area with lots of character. It all depends on the sort of area youre looking for.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I'm surprised Albany hasn't gotten a mention yet. Its schools are great. It is very walkable. Urban amenities in places like Berkeley are a short drive, bus ride, or bike ride away. And unlike Piedmont, you won't have to put up with the crowded, gritty shopping surrounding Piedmont. The only catch is that Albany is cooler than Piedmont and Lamorinda, as the fog likes that area more. Still not as bad as SF, though.
That's why I didn't suggest Albany. It's too cold for me coming from SoCal, so I could only imagine from So Florida it would be a huge adjustment. But, you can get a nice house if there is even one for $2.5M, some are getting close to $2M though. Couldn't recommend it more for the very nice people, a very small community and great schools.

There's also Transbay busses that you can catch no matter where you live in Albany that beats the hell out of the loser Bart system. Only take Bart when I definitely have to.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23windows View Post
Piedmont Piedmont Piedmont

Very safe and all of the nightlife of Oakland and Berkeley right there. Great schools, easy commute to the city. It is out of my budget, but you can buy a nice house with 2.5M...

The Piedmont housing market is super seasonal. Everyone puts their house up in the spring. I have seen times in the winter with not a single house for sale in the whole city.
Piedmont isn't really suburban suburban. It is surrounded by denser parts of Oakland and then other fancy residential. You don't really have nearby strip malls and shopping centers. The rest of the lifestyle is a bit more urban - may not be what the OP wants.

OP, Piedmont is a lovely area, with killer homes, many of them older (think 1920s). You can find nice views, large lots, nice yards etc. But it is not like culdesacs and stuff. You are going to drive to bustling Oakland grocery stores. Have to parallel park on Grand or Lakeshore or Piedmont Ave - the nearby neighborhoods with shopping and restaurants. These are nice urban walkable commercial districts. Maybe not exactly what you were thinking.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
That's why I didn't suggest Albany. It's too cold for me coming from SoCal, so I could only imagine from So Florida it would be a huge adjustment. But, you can get a nice house if there is even one for $2.5M, some are getting close to $2M though. Couldn't recommend it more for the very nice people, a very small community and great schools.

There's also Transbay busses that you can catch no matter where you live in Albany that beats the hell out of the loser Bart system. Only take Bart when I definitely have to.
No way a bus is better than Bart??? How are they so good? Aren't you still pretty stuck in traffic other than the bus lane that's immediately before the bridge?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
If they use over-the-road coaches, MCI's for example, commuter buses can be quit comfy and nice imo with cloth, reclining seats.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post

Burlingame is nice, but you will be subjected to Caltrain (which only goes to Townsend & 4th, not all the way to downtown) for your commute. Proximity to Silicon Valley means less bang for the buck. Also, it's pretty darned suburban.
Burlingame is not limited to Caltrain. From Burlingame you can drive to the Millbrae Bart station (which is located in Millbrae just two blocks from the Burlingame city line). Burlingame is completely suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland