Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so, what would you like to do about it and what are you doing?
Well in my house we currently we make hygiene packets(toothpaste, brush, razor, shvng cream, soap, face towel, etc) in ziplock bags that we pass out weekly.

My young kids and I make bag lunches on Mondays and pass them out.

On occasion I'll hire a vet who goes out to find pets of the homeless to provide care.

Also I get 20 velour blankets from a warehouse in Stockton delivered to my house every week and we pass those out on Monday too.

We also donate to a long list of local aid groups.

I realize I could do a lot more...

On a much grander scale, here's what Id like to see:

First of all, I would like to restore care and housing to mentally ill individuals that was cut by Ronald Reagan.

Secondly homeless addicts need to be put on a serious path to rehabilitation with constant follow up.

Thirdly I would like to see more shelters built that focus on vocational and skills training...partnering with local employers to hire those who 'graduate', priority given to veterans. Once they start working I think a small part of their checks should go to the programs that helped them for maybe a year.

Fourthly we clearly need more affordable housing. This had to be achieved through public and private cooperation. This is a minefield of an issue that people are reluctant to take seriously. Gavin Newsom wants to build 3.5 million new homes. That could wipe out homelessness in CA. We'll see...

There are other things but these are off the top of my head.

Quote:
Maybe you could open up your house to a few street people?
I tried that, my neighbors complained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do so many more "choose" that life now, compared to in the 70's, say, though?
I havent met a single sane homeless person that chose to be out on the street.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As I was sayin’, Monty ? Here they come! You’ve done them a service: opening a fresh venue!
What was I thinking

lol

Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I havent met a single sane homeless person that chose to be out on the street.
This was my point.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:28 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,608 times
Quote:
Ultimately this further accentuates the vast gap between the haves and have-nots in this extremely affluent region-

That we have even 1 homeless person is a crying shame. The fact that we have thousands living on the streets is immoral.

Anyhow, the Bay Area accounted for a full quarter of new billionaires created in the United States last year.

New York and San Francisco have a combined 177 billionaires | Daily Mail Online
There is a significant of mental illness and drug use associated with homelessness . People who cannot or will not be medicated for mental illness or remain drug free. Not all but some

Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No but if a working person were to take a crap on the door steps of a neighbor or in front of an apple store, they would be arrested. If they started shooting up in a park, they would be arrested.

Do you have figures to show what I said isn't true? ... didn't think so.

The OP said, "That we have even 1 homeless person is a crying shame. The fact that we have thousands living on the streets is immoral" so don't act like I pulled up homelessness out of the air. The OP's message is basically it's a crying shame SF has the 3rd most billionaires in the world yet it has a homeless problem"
Hmmmm? Only if they get caught in the act. And sometimes they do:
Superintendent poops on track https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...ping-on-track/

Jogger pooper https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/po...act-1826611028

Serial jogger pooper https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=e80_1374670078

Poop and run Police hunt for Colorado woman who poops and runs - KPTV - FOX 12

Serial public poopers https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44395861

amazon driver craps in driveways
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFqF0sE98tg

And if you think for one second that ten’s of thousands of junkies who have homes (and often are working at regular jobs) don’t shoot up in public places you are sheltered.

Quote:
Inside the secret lives of functioning heroin addicts

February 27, 2018

(CNN)They're not slumped over in alleyways with used needles by their sides. Their dignity, at least from outside appearances, remains intact. They haven't lost everything while chasing an insatiable high.

They are functioning heroin addicts -- people who hold down jobs, pay the bills and fool their families.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/healt...cts/index.html
So yeah, I can give stats and studies to back up what I say.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:36 PM

872 posts, read 595,468 times
This would be a great time to pretend /make up self aggrandizing stories about how you have actually been to the Bay Area! you're a rich retired guy - remember?
I'm pretty sure the good people that are actually dealing with this mess will give you lots more to google and post about- you know best about what they have to endure at an enormous cost every day and night

Old 07-20-2018, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do so many more "choose" that life now, compared to in the 70's, say, though?
The 70s were pretty peaceful times, they recovered from the nutty 60s. Now it seems like we are reverting back. Regardless as why, there have always been those who choose to live on the streets or in shelters. This goes as far back as I can remember and affects every metro area in the country for some reason. It has littel to do with the number of billionaires or anyone else for that matter. My comment of question to OP still stands: we can talk all we want about the homeless, the less fortunate, etc but how many are actually doing something to help solve the problems.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Well in my house we currently we make hygiene packets(toothpaste, brush, razor, shvng cream, soap, face towel, etc) in ziplock bags that we pass out weekly.

My young kids and I make bag lunches on Mondays and pass them out.

On occasion I'll hire a vet who goes out to find pets of the homeless to provide care.

Also I get 20 velour blankets from a warehouse in Stockton delivered to my house every week and we pass those out on Monday too.

We also donate to a long list of local aid groups.

I realize I could do a lot more...

On a much grander scale, here's what Id like to see:

First of all, I would like to restore care and housing to mentally ill individuals that was cut by Ronald Reagan.

Secondly homeless addicts need to be put on a serious path to rehabilitation with constant follow up.

Thirdly I would like to see more shelters built that focus on vocational and skills training...partnering with local employers to hire those who 'graduate', priority given to veterans. Once they start working I think a small part of their checks should go to the programs that helped them for maybe a year.

Fourthly we clearly need more affordable housing. This had to be achieved through public and private cooperation. This is a minefield of an issue that people are reluctant to take seriously. Gavin Newsom wants to build 3.5 million new homes. That could wipe out homelessness in CA. We'll see...

There are other things but these are off the top of my head.

I tried that, my neighbors complained.
good for you. I can say you are making an effort. So do we by working in a food pantry at our church, taking some in need to the doctors, donating to our local charities and have worked with Habitat for Humanities. But let me fill you in, most of this has gone unappreciated and we have seen too many habitat homes turned into shakes in a matter of a few years. I would rather see homeless people trying yo make a living than giving them a home like Gavin wants to do or seeing them continue to depend on others to feed them.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:33 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,018 times
Owning a modest ranch home will make you a billionaire in 20 years so it’s not that impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland