Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Unless youre NYC, Chicago, Boston or Philly, this is precisely what you wont find in downtown__________(fill in the blank) compared to SF.

Genuine urban vibrancy and real human interaction. Thousands upon thousands of people in close contact daily, not just during summer festivals(lol)

You people come here from places that arent even on our level and lecture to us about why we arent like you?

Who the hell wants to be Orlando or Houston boringass?

Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Do you see used syringes in Miami BMW? I live in OC Ca and I've never seen one.

SF seems to think poop and syringes and everything else that comes with a homeless society there is acceptable and common

I used to be a nurse and we regarded used needles as biohazard and had to immediately put them in vacutainers. Your not supposed to recap a used needle and we had to take a whole class on how to properly recap if it absolutely needed to be done. I'm not surprised the Drs cancelled their convention there. They probably share my horror on what's happening there. The thought of a toddler picking up a used needle and playing with it sends shivers down my back. It's true a virus is killed quickly in a open needle bevel but it can live for a while in a airlocked syringe.
SF doesn’t think “poop and syringes and everything else that comes with a homeless society there is acceptable and common” ... if the city residents and government weren’t concerned there wouldn’t be clean up and outreach programs, maps alerting to areas with the most problems, and leadership trying to find answers. You could say they aren’t competent, sure. But accepting? No.

Of course used needles are a “bio-hazard” ... especially in a hospital where their use is always very recent in relation to their disposal protocol. Hospitals are obviously going to be among the most careful places with disposal of fresh-used syringes. Their reputations (and thus future viability) is at stake ... and their legal liabilities are extreme.

If you believe there are high probabilities of “air-locked” syringes transmitting diseases, I, for one, would be interested to read about rate of incidence of transmission in the public by such venue.

As for used needles in OC, you just aren’t hanging out in the wrong places:
Quote:
SANTA ANA, CA - Orange County Public Works officials have released eye-popping figures on the total amount of debris, needles and hazardous waste removed when crews cleaned up the area along the Santa Ana River Trail once populated by the encampments of homeless people, it was reported Friday.

OC Public Works spokesman Shannon Widor said in remarks reported in the Orange County Register that what was collected between Jan. 22 and March 3 from a more than two-mile stretch of bike trail roughly from I-5 in Orange to Ball Road in Anaheim included 404 tons of debris, 13,950 needles, and 5,279 pounds of human waste.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Your indifference is tacit approval. Your attempts to justify, to explain it all away, is acquiessence, and thus approval. We don't need quotes. We don't need a word-for-word transcription.

Every time you respond with this "quote me" nonsense -- which is just about the only thing you offer ad infinitum, ad nauseam -- it will be ignored. I say again: ignored. We are free to reach our own conclusions about your oft-stated opinions, and the disastrous results flowing therefrom. Your laissez faire attitude towards crime, the purposefully lazy, the violently homeless, and massive drug abuse and discarded needles blanketing San Francisco = the absolute misery everyone sees on San Francisco streets. Just as it is described so accurately and articulately in the article. Which, of course, you entirely ignore. Just as you ignore the consequences, explaining it all away. Your answers equal no answer at all. Your platform, your creed, your code = apologist failure.

As I said before, it doesn't matter if you disagree. It matters not if you don't care. Productive citizens already are acting and voting -- with their actions, with their dollars, with their careers and lives. They will continue to do so, without care or regard for your opinion. Bravo, I say to them. Good luck to you and to your champions (criminals, drug abusers, purposefully lazy, violent homeless) as you build your dystopian wasteland. Not in my backyard, not on my watch, not on my dime, not on my dollar.
Hi Default ... indifference can sometimes be reasonably interpreted as “tacit approval”. ... Of course, I have not expressed “indifference”, or “acquiescence” either.

And yes, I noticed that you and others ignore my request for quotes of me to prove your accusations. You can’t find any so you can’t respond ... except with fictionally based oblique personal attacks. Meanwhile you continue to avoid addressing the essential cognitive dissonances and logical irregularities I point out.

You and bmw and a few others here have a personal beef with me, and you are allowing it to override the topical debate - which I stick to:

Here we have arrived at a critical either/or juncture: which is higher priority? Public safety or perpetuation of myth to serve fearmongering?

a) - Used needles, as I have readily agreed, are a nasty, trashy business ... one that has some theoretical public danger, albeit extremely small.

b) - On the other hand, we have a public health epidemic of opiod abuse which includes ready, and highly documented rates of, transmission of blood-borne diseases through exchange of bodily fluids ... sex and needle-sharing being chief venues.

Given the above a / b scenarios, which scenario should receive the most intense course of remedial action?

Since the actual danger of (a) to the general public is nearly zero, despite its disgusting appearances ...
and the very measurable, high risk danger of (b) is increasing with the growing opiod crisis ...
... which needs to be addressed as highest priority?

... And your answer is: “ATTACK TULEMUTT!”

Lmmfao ...

Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
20x public transit commuters, okay that makes more sense. Yes you don’t have to be a millionaire to own a car in most cities. You’re able to drive in comfort instead of being crammed on sardines wondering why the seat is moist.

Still I don’t see what that has to do with thay being an excuse for the city dishing out 400,000 needles and then making excuses for half those needles not being returned and many ending up in the streets, parks, beaches, public transit, etc. Being in a bubble has nothing to do about commute methods, it’s about being aware of the world. The fact you think this is normal, that seeing human poop on a daily basis, needles, crazy drugged out people, etc is not normal and if you think that is normal, you really do live in a bubble.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

As for used needles in OC, you just aren’t hanging out in the wrong places:
Yes, and the county bulldozed the entire site, they didn't offer to stand up "free shoot up sites".

Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yes, and the county bulldozed the entire site, they didn't offer to stand up "free shoot up sites".
Best course of action would be both ... the needle use / sharing isn’t going to stop because the encampment was destroyed ... it will just move around.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There is nothing inaccurate in my post.

Workers who commute by public transit, 2016:
San Francisco MSA 400,000
Orlando MSA 20,000

20X

You can't compare Orlando to San Francisco. We are on completely different levels when it comes to big city attributes.

San Francisco puts human beings in close contact be it on the sidewalk, in a train, in a bus, hell even our cars are more tightly packed on streets and you see all the good and bad that entails.

Orlando is way sprawlier, 90% of the population cocoons themselves in cars that are precisely the bubbles you accuse us of living in. Their lives revolve around office parks, box stores and drive thrus.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

LOL all of this regurgitated hyberbole misses my point. Orlando is a city because it's incorporated as such but it's about as 'urban' feeling as Stockton compared to San Francisco.

at least they can go to the park in Orlando...

Only in SF do you see people that like living urban grittiness, danger, and health hazards and applaud it and think it's exciting and normal. That's what's called living in a bubble. And maybe your guests kept the horror of what they were seeing to themselves to be polite

Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Who the hell wants to be Orlando or Houston boringass?
Houston and boringass don't belong in the same sentence. There is nothing boring about Houston and it's a city packed full of things to do. You apparently had no clue on what to do there, or you've never been there.

Stay here and whine about Houston all you want. Seems like your time would be spent more productively thinking about how to contribute solutions to the problems that plague SF.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-30-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
at least they can go to the park in Orlando...
I doubt most even do that given they lust to be in air conditioning that feels like well, San Francisco(rotflmao) but if they go to the park that wouldnt be a surprise because they certainly dont go downtown, that's for damn sure. Talk about a snooze fest.

Quote:
That's what's called living in a bubble.
Oh hun, I'll take this bubble over a swamp any day. It isnt even a question.

Quote:
And maybe your guests kept the horror of what they were seeing to themselves to be polite
Haha actually my visitors from Red States cry because they dont want to return to their sad, boring, soulless hometowns. #tears

Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Houston and boringass don't belong in the same sentence.
Perhaps compared to Little Rock or Natchitoches but that city is boring with a capital B vs San Francisco, just ask like the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland