U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,727 times
Reputation: 13
Default Living in Bay Area on 65K will it do?

Hi,
I know this has been discussed before, but still - will I have anything left living in Bay Area on 65K? I am single, will be renting 1 or 2 bedroom place and I want to be somewhere around San Mateo area, Peninsula only and not lower than Mountain View, hopefully higher. The salary calculator somewhere gave this: 65K is about $950 after taxes per week. Will it be relaxed living or hand to mouth-I am broke all the time kind of a living? Any advise is welcome. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,665 posts, read 16,071,942 times
Reputation: 2403
I made $40,000 last year and I'm still here. I have a 2004 model car which will be paid off this fall. I live in a safe neighborhood with a very short commute, I have a nice piano, and my partner does not need to work. We don't get to eat out much, but we never feel like we're starving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
 
3 posts, read 21,718 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I made $40,000 last year and I'm still here. I have a 2004 model car which will be paid off this fall. I live in a safe neighborhood with a very short commute, I have a nice piano, and my partner does not need to work. We don't get to eat out much, but we never feel like we're starving.

Sonarrat - Hope I'm not being too impertinent, but can you provide more details about where you live? For instance, what neighborhood, how many bedrooms, how much for rent? What you describe above seems almost too good to be true.

Many Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,758 posts, read 27,103,787 times
Reputation: 11507
I make about 50K, and I'm still here too! Also in a nice & safe neighborhood (technically in the Bayview, but at the edge), and my 2005 Accord will be paid off within the year. I currently share a 3-bedroom house with 2 roommates, and we pay a total of $2195... my share is only like $700/month, but I used to pay $1395 before the third roomie moved in. So yes, you can survive here just fine on $65K - don't expect to purchase a home anytime soon, but paying your rent, bills, food, etc. shouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
 
7 posts, read 13,727 times
Reputation: 13
Hi gizmo980,
Thanks for your input. Bayview as in Bayview District in San Francisco? (I couldnt find a city with this name). If so - yeah I guess you are right - it is possible to live there. And I am not looking to live in the City - somewhere in about 20 miles radius would do just fine.
Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,665 posts, read 16,071,942 times
Reputation: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt2sfo View Post
Sonarrat - Hope I'm not being too impertinent, but can you provide more details about where you live? For instance, what neighborhood, how many bedrooms, how much for rent? What you describe above seems almost too good to be true.

Many Thanks.
I have a one-bedroom apartment, about 650 sq ft, one block west of El Camino Real in the town of South San Francisco for $1075. This area is generally cheaper than the surrounding towns because it's directly under the flightpath for the SFO airport, but that's the only real tradeoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
221 posts, read 339,250 times
Reputation: 101
You should be alright with your salary. Rents are still high on the peninsula, so you may want to check out 1 bedroom apartments too. Keep in mind that annual rent increases can be steep and they are pretty common.

Hillsdale is a nice section of San Mateo with lots of shopping all around you. Downtown San Mateo has a ton of restaurants (some great ethnic food) along with Central Park and a Japanese Garden. B Street and the vicinity is always hopping. Be aware that many hoodlums and beggars like to hang out after dark here. I think Hillsdale is the nicer neighborhood over all.

Burlingame to the immediate north is comparatively more expensive. Belmont (just south of San Mateo) is a more affordable option.

Connecting all of the peninsula cities is the CalTrain, which runs from Gilroy to San Francisco. This is a stress free alternative to the ever present traffic congestion, especially during commuting hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,465 times
Reputation: 14
Living alone on $65,000 will be tight unless you have a room-mate. You may be able to find some decent rental properties around SF City College or the nearby Daly City, or the Richmond or Sunset areas, but as a resident of the Bayview district, of which I have lived for 21 years, I wouldn't suggest a newcomer to rent in the area unless you are very adventurous and brave. Only a native of the SF could maneuver the Bayview, and all aren't successful, believe me. The Bayview is evolving due to regentrification, and that is why we purchased here so long ago. We have managed with minimal problems, but these problems are real. Check out crime rates for all areas before moving there. Type in Bayview Hunter's Point on youtube and you will get a glimpse of the shadier side of the area, as the gang activity is thriving in certain pockets - pockets you should never find yourself lost in. For the most part, and on a positive note, it it an up and coming area of San Francisco and many of the families here, and who are moving here, are hard working middle class people, trying to improve an historically impoverished area. The beautiful UCSF Mission Bay campus is just a 10 minute bus ride away and there is flurry of new biotech buildings under construction. But I suggest you rent the DVD Straight outta Hunter's Point, and you will understand the clear and present danger of the gang mentality and the history of probably one of the most beautiful areas of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,758 posts, read 27,103,787 times
Reputation: 11507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex447 View Post
Hi gizmo980,
Thanks for your input. Bayview as in Bayview District in San Francisco? (I couldnt find a city with this name). If so - yeah I guess you are right - it is possible to live there.
Yes, I was referring to the Bayview district... but as I mentioned above, I'm at the edge in a very safe little neighborhood. Most people think all of 94124 is dangerous, which is how I got such a sweet deal - LOL.

Quote:
And I am not looking to live in the City - somewhere in about 20 miles radius would do just fine.
Thanks everybody!
Well, even 20 miles outside of SF, the prices aren't much different... sometimes even more expensive, especially in Marin or San Mateo counties. The East Bay is the cheapest area (within that range), so you can live there if you want to maximize your money. Oakland or Alameda, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,758 posts, read 27,103,787 times
Reputation: 11507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali23 View Post
Living alone on $65,000 will be tight unless you have a room-mate. You may be able to find some decent rental properties around SF City College or the nearby Daly City, or the Richmond or Sunset areas, but as a resident of the Bayview district, of which I have lived for 21 years, I wouldn't suggest a newcomer to rent in the area unless you are very adventurous and brave. Only a native of the SF could maneuver the Bayview, and all aren't successful, believe me. The Bayview is evolving due to regentrification, and that is why we purchased here so long ago. We have managed with minimal problems, but these problems are real. Check out crime rates for all areas before moving there. Type in Bayview Hunter's Point on youtube and you will get a glimpse of the shadier side of the area, as the gang activity is thriving in certain pockets - pockets you should never find yourself lost in. For the most part, and on a positive note, it it an up and coming area of San Francisco and many of the families here, and who are moving here, are hard working middle class people, trying to improve an historically impoverished area. The beautiful UCSF Mission Bay campus is just a 10 minute bus ride away and there is flurry of new biotech buildings under construction. But I suggest you rent the DVD Straight outta Hunter's Point, and you will understand the clear and present danger of the gang mentality and the history of probably one of the most beautiful areas of the city.
I live in the "gentrified" part (obviously if you read my comments above!), and agree that most of Bayview isn't for the faint of heart... I go into The Point all the time, but I'm a city girl, and a rather brave one at that. Never had any problems, but I do know when & where not to wander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top