U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 PM

862 posts, read 835,252 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just something I forgot to ask about last time I posted in the SFO forum - how is the general state of the greater Bay Area's music scene these days?

I'm well aware that historically speaking, The Bay has been home to many significant popular music movements over a good number of decades, and that many world famous artists are from there (or their careers took off from there), but I'm more curious about the general state of how the music scene is faring these days on a local level?

My own research thus far has lead to quite mixed opinions - from some people saying it's as exciting and vibrant as ever, and others saying it's basically dead - that a lot of small venues/dive bars that host music have had to close up, and many local musicians have fled the area due to the skyrocketing/sky high rents that have resulted from the tech industry boom/real estate shortage (to be fair, most of the stories I've read of venues closing have been about places in SF proper, where I'd imagine the effects of rent spikes would be even more significant than some of the outlying areas).

Like most things, I'd like to think the truth is somewhere in the middle - but I seek the perspective of locals on which side it teeters closer to. Are there still a good number of small/medium sized places in the area to watch live bands/artists most nights of the week? How easy (or difficult) is it to find other musicians to play with? And is there anything else about if that you feel is worth sharing about?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 10:55 AM

3,817 posts, read 3,049,599 times
What music scene?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:51 PM

620 posts, read 240,046 times
It is much easier to find people to play with in the East Bay than in SF or the peninsula. It seems that people in Sf and the Peninsula are more career focussed types in general.

I think the scene is pretty decent in the East Bay, mostly around Oakland/Berkeley.

For going to see bands SF is pretty decent. There are several large venues for larger national bands (Warfield, Fillmore, etc.), and a variety of smaller venues (Bottom of the Hill, The Chapel, Brick and Mortar, etc.), and then quite a few smaller venues that tend to cater to jazz and more acoustic styles (Red Poppy, Club Deluxe, Bird and Beckett, etc., etc.).

Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM

897 posts, read 720,183 times
San Francisco city proper has a good variety of small, medium, and large venues to see live performances. Oakland also has a number of venues, although not nearly as many overall. The Bay Area is a stop on most tours, both big and small, which is great if you are a music lover. There are only a handful of venues in the South Bay and North Bay.

SF does have musicians, but you will have better luck in the East Bay. SF is too expensive even for tech bros these days, so culture there is pretty much dead. Head to Oakland (and even Berkeley) if you want to connect with other musicians.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,886,565 times
Try the Chit Chat Café in Pacifica.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:03 AM

[SIZE=4]Friday, 8/10/18 [/SIZE][SIZE=4]- [/SIZE][SIZE=4]at the [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Chit-Chat Café[/SIZE][SIZE=4]: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]From [/SIZE][SIZE=4]7:30 - 9:30 p.m.[/SIZE][SIZE=4], the [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Country Casanovas[/SIZE][SIZE=4] return! From [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Chit-Chat[/SIZE][SIZE=4] Family member, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Scott[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Hill [/SIZE][SIZE=4](also of the Plastic Onion Band): “Hey all! [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Hide your women!! The [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Country Casanovas[/SIZE][SIZE=4] ride into town to play some real [/SIZE][SIZE=4]honky tonk[/SIZE][SIZE=4]in' tunes, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]country swing[/SIZE][SIZE=4], and just [/SIZE][SIZE=4]general good-time music[/SIZE][SIZE=4]. Guitar, bass, drums, and the beautiful sound of a pedal steel guitar! This band knows how to hit the sweet spot. C'mon down!”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]Saturday, 8/11 -[/SIZE][SIZE=4] a DOUBLE HEADER [/SIZE][SIZE=4]at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]the [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Chit-Chat Café[/SIZE][SIZE=4]: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]From [/SIZE][SIZE=4]2 – 4 p.m.[/SIZE][SIZE=4], the event that many of us have been excitedly waiting for: [/SIZE][SIZE=4]the [/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]th[/SIZE][SIZE=4] Anniversary of Sing the Beatles!!! [/SIZE][SIZE=4]It’s hard to believe, but it’s true ~ Our Fearless Leader, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Jeannine Menger[/SIZE][SIZE=4], and several incarnations of our back-up band, the [/SIZE][SIZE=4]B2s[/SIZE][SIZE=4] (now including [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Kenneth M.[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Sailors[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4](also with the Montara Mountain Boys) on lead guitar, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]David Antone[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]on bass, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Jd Smith[/SIZE][SIZE=4], formerly of the Plastic Onion Band, on keyboard and [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Rich DiBenedetto[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]on drums), as well as occasional Special Guests, such as [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Erica Lowes[/SIZE][SIZE=4] this week, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]have backed up audiences that have sung [/SIZE][SIZE=4]more than 250 songs from the Beatles and the guys as solo artists, including the lesser known and almost never sung, in the 7 years we’ve been doing this! We will sing #1s this Saturday and, yes, there will be cake!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeeeaaaahhhhhhh![/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]From [/SIZE][SIZE=4]7:30 – 9:30 p.m.[/SIZE][SIZE=4], [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Libido Blues[/SIZE][SIZE=4]! From my post-performance review on FaceBook after their June 30[/SIZE][SIZE=4]th[/SIZE][SIZE=4] show: I [/SIZE][SIZE=4]pity anyone who missed [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Libido Blues[/SIZE][SIZE=4]! Not only did they bring us classic rock, but they totally brought the funk. With TWO very dynamic powerhouse women singers, they covered Johnny B. Goode, Me and Bobby McGee, Jailhouse Rock, Mustang Sally, Take it Easy, Hurts So Good, Old Time Rock and Roll and other classics. My favorites were Santana's Black Magic(k) Woman and Oye Como Va and a fabulous rendition of Proud Mary that segued neatly into the Kinks' You Really Got Me! The [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Chit-Chat[/SIZE][SIZE=4] was standing room only before they played a single note, with anticipation running very high. I am always especially gratified when musicians are in the audience and tonight brought out Jeannine Menger, Jodi Kavrell Meromy and Marva Seaton. It was a classic night to remember, ONLY AT THE [/SIZE][SIZE=4]CHIT-[/SIZE][SIZE=4]CHAT CAFÉ[/SIZE][SIZE=4]!!! Don't miss them next time, but get there early! The time is NOW![/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Sunday, 8/12[/SIZE][SIZE=4] – a TRIPLE HEADER [/SIZE][SIZE=4]at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]the [SIZE=4][SIZE=4]Chit-Chat Café[/SIZE][SIZE=4]: [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Mimosa Sundays[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]feature [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Eddie Raymond, Pete Innes & Friends,[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]beginning at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]10 a.m.,[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]playing [/SIZE][SIZE=4]mellow, easy-listening[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]music, and then [/SIZE][SIZE=4]jazz[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]with [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Rob Wullenjohn, Paul Clanon, Ishan Vest, Jodi Meromy & Rick Brown, [/SIZE][SIZE=4]starting at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]11:30 a.m.[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]and ending at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]1 p.m.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]From[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]3 - 5 p.m.[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]at [/SIZE][SIZE=4]the Chit-Chat Café[/SIZE][SIZE=4],[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]VIBO Simfani [/SIZE][SIZE=4]plays a[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]modern eclectic mix” of[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]World, Brazilian Choro, Bossa Nova, Jazz, Pop, Latin, Folk, European Folk [/SIZE][SIZE=4]and[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]Asian Folk. [/SIZE][SIZE=4]A[/SIZE][SIZE=4]ccording to their FB timeline, the band members are [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Victor Lin[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](violin, mandolin & vocals), [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Brian Einstein Lassiter[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](Clarinet& Flute), [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Javier Trujillo[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](Guitar), [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Alex Farrell[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](Bass), [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Mariela Mena[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](percussion& vocals), [/SIZE][SIZE=4]David Laderman[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](Percussion) and [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Diego Becarra[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4](Percussion).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 PM

1,402 posts, read 961,998 times
Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for concert tickets out here.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Chit Chat is strictly voluntary donations.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:22 PM

862 posts, read 835,252 times
Thanks for the input from everyone! It has helped give me a good idea of what to expect next time in the area (as a vistor or otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
San Francisco city proper has a good variety of small, medium, and large venues to see live performances. Oakland also has a number of venues, although not nearly as many overall. The Bay Area is a stop on most tours, both big and small, which is great if you are a music lover. There are only a handful of venues in the South Bay and North Bay.

SF does have musicians, but you will have better luck in the East Bay. SF is too expensive even for tech bros these days, so culture there is pretty much dead. Head to Oakland (and even Berkeley) if you want to connect with other musicians.
This is kind of what I was expecting to hear - a similar, if less pronounced dynamic has played out here in the Seattle area (a good number of musicians have been priced out of Seattle itself from the tech boom/rent spikes, and pushed out to the 'burbs and north/south sound cities of Everett and Tacoma. Several cherished venues have also closed their doors).

I'm not a full-time musician, but I'm a recent university grad (after going back) that may have better/more opportunities with my major and interests in cities other than Seattle, and the Bay Area is a potential relocation choice for me (More than likely living in the East Bay and working in SF if I made the move). Still, music is very important to me, so a plethora of live music venues and a relatively good number of other people to play with is a must for me wherever I am.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM

If this weekend follows the usual pattern, the Plastic Onion Band will perform Beatles songs and some hits from the British Invasion in the 60s on Friday night, beginning at 7_15 p.m.-ish. Vintage Rewind will perform their great pop-rock and r&b covers on Saturday night, beginning at 7:30 p.m. The usual Mimosa Sunday morning folks will perform and you'll have to reference a previous newsletter for the details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or