U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times

Advertisements

I’m married+3 kids, working in San Jose area and Im looking to buy my first home under 650k in these areas:

1-Brentwood
2-Mountain house
3-discovery bay
4-Tracy

What you guys think will be a good investment for my family?

Either way my commute will be more then an hour

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:39 PM

245 posts, read 143,991 times
Tracy & Mountain House are the only places on your list that are somewhat commutable to San Jose. Even so, that's *way* more than an hour.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,299 times
You could also consider Concord, Pacheco and Martinez. In particular Pacheco and Martinez have good schools (e.g. Martinez Senior High or College Park High) in areas in which houses sell for under 650k. These places are especially interesting if you are a bit flexible with your working hours allowing to avoid peak commute times (in theory less than 1 hour drive to San Jose area).

Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 AM

86,059 posts, read 79,233,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrogers View Post
You could also consider Concord, Pacheco and Martinez. In particular Pacheco and Martinez have good schools (e.g. Martinez Senior High or College Park High) in areas in which houses sell for under 650k. These places are especially interesting if you are a bit flexible with your working hours allowing to avoid peak commute times (in theory less than 1 hour drive to San Jose area).
This sounds like very good advice, OP. You do NOT want to have to commute from Tracy! Once San Jose BART opens, you could take BART from the areas suggested here (Concord station).

Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 AM

245 posts, read 143,991 times
Some mentioned BART here.

Maybe not a bad idea, but San Jose is a gigantic sparse suburb and most employment is not near the planned BART extension in the small downtown. The odds are that the OP will be forced to drive. My wife did that drive and in reality it is 2.5-3h each way during anything like commute hours. She would wake up at 4am and be home by 8pm.

But even if the job is in downtown, BART during commute hours *sucks* (personal painful experience over the years). Concord to SJ will be 1.5 hours on a good day - not a good lifestyle.

If the person's job is downtown-ish, better use the more comfortable ACE train which stops in Tracy. I really do think that Tracy is pretty much the only (semi) viable option here. Gilroy is the only other one that pops to mind.

Still, it really puzzles me that so many people are willing to give up most of their lives to commuting just to be home owners in the Bay Area. Peace to them, though.

Last edited by candalf; 08-12-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM

881 posts, read 707,104 times
Do you work near an ACE station? Or what about a Caltrain station?

If the former, you could relocate to Tracy and take the train from there. If the latter, you could relocate to Morgan Hill or Gilroy.

Perhaps you could count your train time towards your work schedule.

If you aren't working near a train station, see if VTA or San Joaquin RTD runs an express bus near your office. Maintaining your sanity with this kind of commute is important!

Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
Some mentioned BART here.

Maybe not a bad idea, but San Jose is a gigantic sparse suburb and most employment is not near the planned BART extension in the small downtown. The odds are that the OP will be forced to drive. My wife did that drive and in reality it is 2.5-3h each way during anything like commute hours. She would wake up at 4am and be home by 8pm.

But even if the job is in downtown, BART during commute hours *sucks* (personal painful experience over the years). Concord to SJ will be 1.5 hours on a good day - not a good lifestyle.

If the person's job is downtown-ish, better use the more comfortable ACE train which stops in Tracy. I really do think that Tracy is pretty much the only (semi) viable option here. Gilroy is the only other one that pops to mind.

Still, it really puzzles me that so many people are willing to give up most of their lives to commuting just to be home owners in the Bay Area. Peace to them, though.
RE: the bolded, which drive? From Tracy? The OP mentioned several possibilities.

I assumed that once the BART extension was open, there would be bus service from there to employer neighborhoods, and around town. That would still be better than driving, IMO.

OK, the ACE train is not a bad idea, from Tracy. Is there transit from Gilroy to SJ? That could work. Gilroy has some nice Victorian and quasi-Victorian houses. It's kind of cool. But speaking of cool, Martinez is on the Carquinez Straight, so it gets delta breezes.

Lots for the OP to think about.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,807,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: the bolded, which drive? From Tracy? The OP mentioned several possibilities.

I assumed that once the BART extension was open, there would be bus service from there to employer neighborhoods, and around town. That would still be better than driving, IMO.

OK, the ACE train is not a bad idea, from Tracy. Is there transit from Gilroy to SJ? That could work. Gilroy has some nice Victorian and quasi-Victorian houses. It's kind of cool. But speaking of cool, Martinez is on the Carquinez Straight, so it gets delta breezes.

Lots for the OP to think about.
Employment near San Jose is decentralized. If there is a bus it wont be fast or frequent or direct unless you are extraordinarily lucky.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM

881 posts, read 707,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is there transit from Gilroy to SJ?
Yes, Caltrain operates rush hour trains from Gilroy and Morgan Hill to all stations. Also, VTA runs three different express bus routes from Gilroy and Morgan Hill. One goes to downtown San Jose, one goes to Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, and one goes to Mountain View.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Employment near San Jose is decentralized. If there is a bus it wont be fast or frequent or direct unless you are extraordinarily lucky.
Right, but I'm thinking that when the BART station opens, the local transit system would step up to the plate, and create new routes to serve the demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland