U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 AM

928 posts, read 985,864 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm taking my parents to visit the Bay Area next week. We're planning to visit the East Bay and hop on over to the Wine County area and then Muir woods.

I'm concerned about air quality around those areas-how bad is it? My parents are older, and I'd rather reschedule the trip if the air is really bad.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:39 PM

2,659 posts, read 4,221,708 times
Right now the air has been mostly in the moderate range. The wildfires are mostly contained. While it is hazy, it certainly isn't at hazardous levels. Some days, the air is even in the good range when there are stronger ocean breezes from the west. I believe that next week is supposed to have a significant cool down, where the air quality will likely improve.

Now, if another major fire starts within the next few days, that could change the equation. I'd keep monitoring the news, but at present, I wouldn't change your plans.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 AM

2,876 posts, read 4,133,705 times
Check purpleair.com. Depending on where you are, air quality can and has been quite bad. My parents in Walnut Creek have had unhealthy air quality for most of the past month or longer, between 100 and 190 for large particles. Bayside locations sometimes had good to moderate air quality during the same time, but the last few days have been above 100 even there. It isn't much mentioned on the news. But we've even smelled smoke at times depending on the wind.

Recently, we were in West Marin and found ourselves in rapidly deteriorating air quality. Driving through Lagunitas, the smoke was heavy in the air, our eyes and throats burned, and sure enough, when we checked that website, discovered that we had just driven through a pocket of very unhealthy air.

It's just been pervasive and unpredictable in terms of severity and location, depending on the wind direction, but it's been bad for weeks and weeks now.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM

2,301 posts, read 5,127,780 times
One thing to consider is that with the current wildfires in Northern CA, the air quality has been changing on an almost daily basis. It all depends on the wind patterns. Yesterday was a Spare The Air day and from my house in Newark, I could barely see the hills a few miles away. It was very breezy yesterday and a lot of smoke blew into the Bay Area. Today the air seems much clearer.

Even when the visibility has been really bad, I still haven't noticed myself having any breathing problems though. I was at a park with my son yesterday and the air was orangey-brown in the distance but I didn't even notice a smoke smell at all.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM

424 posts, read 183,952 times
Strong smell of smoke in the city today. I've closed all my windows and my eyes are still watering.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,060,811 times
It's been a bit chewy today. Looking on the bright side though, if you're a smoker, it's free smokes for everyone.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM

1,967 posts, read 987,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
One thing to consider is that with the current wildfires in Northern CA,
the air quality has been changing on an almost daily basis. It all depends on the wind patterns. Yesterday was a Spare The Air day and from my house in Newark, I could barely see the hills a few miles away. It was very breezy yesterday and a lot of smoke blew into the Bay Area. Today the air seems much clearer.

Even when the visibility has been really bad, I still haven't noticed myself having any breathing problems though. I was at a park with my son yesterday and the air was orangey-brown in the distance but I didn't even notice a smoke smell at all.
Very accurate observation.... it's hard to tell from one day to the next what the situation will be.
Not long ago, at times we'd have that tell-tale yellow-tinted sunlight from heavy smoke in the air.
But then the following day would be clear.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 PM

6,090 posts, read 3,247,151 times
The best website for air quality in the SF Bay Area is the following:

Spare the Air

Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 PM

18,666 posts, read 25,899,028 times
I'm in San Jose, and I don't smell smoke anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or