Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 PM

58 posts, read 76,892 times

Advertisements

You should give money to them, because someday you will be old, homeless, ugly and broke.

It is all about Your Karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
You should give money to them, because someday you will be old, homeless, ugly and broke.

It is all about Your Karma.
While I completely believe in "karma" (as an abstract concept), I sure hope I don't end up old, homeless, ugly, and broke! Old is inevitable and I guess I'll be thankful to get there; ugly depends on the individual, as I've seen my share of beautiful older people. But homeless and broke? Not everyone ends up there, thankfully, and I don't intend to be one of them. That's why I worked so hard to get a good education and career, ya know? Also, having family members who care about you is helpful.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googgo View Post
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...203-story.html

Lady was killed recently in Bmore after giving money to homeless person
Women are sometimes killed or raped for merely smiling at a man... doesn't mean I should stop smiling, though.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
I see this debate a lot - give money to a homeless person or not? Both sides have valid points, because it’s heart wrenching to see (and hopefully humanity’s instinct is to help). On the flip side, some people avoid because of perceived danger and it’s also true that some homeless may squander the money on drugs (in which case you are only perpetuating the problem). So if you really want to help, why not find other ways to help i.e. making a donation to homeless shelters or any number of organizations desperately in need of funds? For that matter, it doesn’t even take money to help - what about volunteering your time - soup kitchens, shelters, etc. It’s a great way to assist without feeling you are handing over money (potentially) for a homeless man’s next hit or bump.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I see this debate a lot - give money to a homeless person or not? Both sides have valid points, because it’s heart wrenching to see (and hopefully humanity’s instinct is to help). On the flip side, some people avoid because of perceived danger and it’s also true that some homeless may squander the money on drugs (in which case you are only perpetuating the problem). So if you really want to help, why not find other ways to help i.e. making a donation to homeless shelters or any number of organizations desperately in need of funds? For that matter, it doesn’t even take money to help - what about volunteering your time - soup kitchens, shelters, etc. It’s a great way to assist without feeling you are handing over money (potentially) for a homeless man’s next hit or bump.
I can't speak to other cities but here in NYC, there are extensive programs for the homeless. There are multiple places to get free meals and to collect free groceries, a place to sleep for the night, free medical care, free psychiatric & psychological help, and job training opportunities. Not only do those exist, but the homeless know they exist. By that circumstance homeless people who beg on the streets and subway already have their basic needs met, all that money will be used for is disposable income and you can bet 99% of it will be "disposed" of through alcohol, drugs, scratch off tickets, and cigarettes

Last edited by BlakeJones; 01-28-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begoodtome View Post
Hi,

Long story short. I am an international student here at UC Berkeley. I have been living here since July 2017.
I've always wondered whether it would be nice to give money to the homeless we see on the streets?

I walk from my apartment to school every day. It just breaks my heart to see these people thrown on the streets. You should be ashamed American.

I've asked many people about this. Some tell me:'' Just forget about it! Homeless people have shelters, but they refuse to go there and want to be on the streets to get high or whatever, and they do get paid from the US government''.

On the other hand, some say shelters cannot take care of all the homeless in the Bay area, please help them! They deserved to be helped.

Of course, sometimes you won't give money to the homeless if you see them are getting high in front of you.

I am confused. If I don't give, I just feel I am being so selfish. They deserve our help.

Thanks.
Short and sweet or not so sweet: DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO THE HOMELESS>

Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I can't speak to other cities but here in NYC, there are extensive programs for the homeless. There are multiple places to get free meals, a place to sleep for the night, free medical care, free psychiatric & psychological help, and job training opportunities. Not only do those exist, but the homeless know they exist. By that circumstance homeless people who beg on the streets and subway already have their basic needs met, all that money will be used for is disposable income and you can bet 99% of it will be "disposed" of through alcohol, drugs, scratch off tickets, and cigarettes

Yes, there are extensive programs and shelters everywhere - but they still need funds and even more importantly, volunteers to help them run. That’s why I suggested volunteering instead of handing money directly to the homeless because in the long-term, it only perpetuates the problem.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I can't speak to other cities but here in NYC, there are extensive programs for the homeless. There are multiple places to get free meals, a place to sleep for the night, free medical care, free psychiatric & psychological help, and job training opportunities. Not only do those exist, but the homeless know they exist. By that circumstance homeless people who beg on the streets and subway already have their basic needs met, all that money will be used for is disposable income and you can bet 99% of it will be "disposed" of through alcohol, drugs, scratch off tickets, and cigarettes
You could bet ... but how would you ever collect given that that neither you nor anyone else knows the answer factually? That said, it certanly is big fun for some folks to incessantly speculate about things they nothing nothing about. Denigrating others is a great way to bolster one’s own low self esteem!

Old 01-28-2019, 12:48 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yes, there are extensive programs and shelters everywhere - but they still need funds and even more importantly, volunteers to help them run. That’s why I suggested volunteering instead of handing money directly to the homeless because in the long-term, it only perpetuates the problem.
Sounds nice but a lot of folks living in the Bay Area are workaholics and rarely have the time to offer volunteering. Plus people who work a lot need a break and deserve to take that break however they see fit.

We pay taxes to Federal, State and our city governments to support social programs.

If you don't think our tax money is enough then please use your time and your money to fund the social programs as you see fit.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
I will get old. I might be ugly. But why will I be broke or homeless?

I don't use drugs. I chose to advance myself and work in a good career. I spend less than I earn. I save and invest. I'm well into the six figures in retirement savings and constantly contributing more. So why is it that I'm supposedly doomed to the same fate as those who drink, shoot up, never bothered to get an education, could never keep two nickles in their pocket, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland