Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It's probably a good idea for someone to visit the PNW during the rainy season, because the summers are so perfect that they might make a false impression!

Pt Townsend looks like a beautiful town, but looking at the next 8 day weather forecast for that town vs, say, San Rafael in Marin County shows 8 days of rain and highs in the 50s in WA and 8 days of partly cloudy and highs in the 70s in Marin. When late October in the PNW already feels like mid-winter in the Bay Area, then you know you're in for a looong hibernation... :-)
Yah, I know. But the OP was asking about coastal + good outdoor summer weather + "affordable". That doesn't leave him too many choices, and Pt T is one of them. A bit more fall/winter rain that he's used to is another one. It's worth a shot. Notice I've also been pushing the idea of a townhome in his price range, in San Rafael. The OP is a big boy. He can figure out what to do, from the info we're giving him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yah, I know. But the OP was asking about coastal + good outdoor summer weather + "affordable". That doesn't leave him too many choices, and Pt T is one of them. A bit more fall/winter rain that he's used to is another one. It's worth a shot. Notice I've also been pushing the idea of a townhome in his price range, in San Rafael. The OP is a big boy. He can figure out what to do, from the info we're giving him.
For sure. And the truth is there are very few places that are really like California. There's going to be give and take.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
For sure. And the truth is there are very few places that are really like California. There's going to be give and take.
Yup. Marin is unique. And he cites proximity to SF and its amenities as one attractive factor. Noplace in the NW will have that bonus; they may have some small-town charm and killer scenery, but they'll be more isolated. Even Seattle can't compare in cultural offerings with SF or even with Marin, and the high-quality events the auditorium hosts.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 PM

281 posts, read 308,886 times
Well, looking at Zillow, I'm seeing a couple of very small cabin style houses in the town of Fairfax from anywhere between $499,000 to $600,000. I actually love the town of Fairfax, so that would be a good thing. When I say small, I'm talking under 1000 square feet! That's a lot of money to pay for such a small dwelling, the light one of the posters on here stated, "why I leave if you've already found Paradise?" Just going over finances briefly, I will have an almost guaranteed $110,000 given upon retirement. I just need to save another $50000 - $100,000 in the next 5 years, so I can put that down on a small house can I get the payment down to a reasonable level. ($2,200 or less)

Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Well, looking at Zillow, I'm seeing a couple of very small cabin style houses in the town of Fairfax from anywhere between $499,000 to $600,000. I actually love the town of Fairfax, so that would be a good thing. When I say small, I'm talking under 1000 square feet! That's a lot of money to pay for such a small dwelling, the light one of the posters on here stated, "why I leave if you've already found Paradise?" Just going over finances briefly, I will have an almost guaranteed $110,000 given upon retirement. I just need to save another $50000 - $100,000 in the next 5 years, so I can put that down on a small house can I get the payment down to a reasonable level. ($2,200 or less)
Fairfax is nice. It used to be "more affordable" than other places in Marin, but now.....not so much.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Fairfax is indeed a nice place. But one thing to remember is that in order to get to the freeway, there is a long and crowded drive down Sir Frances Drake. After being gone for 5 years, I moved back to Marin. I stayed at a friend's house in San Anselmo (very close to Fairfax) and I really didn't enjoy the traffic jams on SFD. So I opted out of Fairfax and went to Pacheco Valle in Novato. I bought a townhouse. It still isn't cheap, but less than a house further south in Marin, and the setting is really beautiful. I love it here, and I am close to the freeway without seeing or hearing it. I lived in San Rafael for 23 years, then Austin for 5, and I feel so blessed to be back in Marin. Every morning I step out and soak in the beauty and peace. I understand wanting to have this, wherever you are.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM

I've considered Novato, and ultimately if I have to I may end up there, though I think I will try to get to Fairfax as best I can. Novato is the only city in Marin that doesn't feel like it has an infividual culture or village like feel. It just feels like any other small city, so I can't say I've spent a great deal of time there, so I could be wrong.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:26 PM

50 posts, read 69,155 times
Sarasota, Florida

Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
I've considered Novato, and ultimately if I have to I may end up there, though I think I will try to get to Fairfax as best I can. Novato is the only city in Marin that doesn't feel like it has an infividual culture or village like feel. It just feels like any other small city, so I can't say I've spent a great deal of time there, so I could be wrong.
Have you taken a look at San Rafael? I know exactly what you mean, about a village feel and culture, though.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you taken a look at San Rafael? I know exactly what you mean, about a village feel and culture, though.
Actually, yes. I have considered San Rafael. It wasn't my first choice, because it's bigger, and isn't quite as Charming as the wrist of Marin, though there are some very beautiful areas. San Rafael is definitely not out of the question, though I might would have to leave in the Terra Linda area. I wouldn't be against a condo near downtown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland