Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Many won't, but thankfully there ARE still some dog-friendly landlords out there! Mine isn't a "restricted breed" (he's a mutt), but does weigh over 50lbs... and while it hasn't always been easy in the 6 times I've moved over his 13-year life, I do always manage to find one.

Future reference for anyone else facing this issue: Parkmerced next to SFSU is big-dog friendly, as are most of the Klingbeil and Avalon apartment communities. Or you can do what I did the last two times, and find a property-owner landlord (meaning they personally own a property/ies they rent out) who happens to like dogs without prejudice. I've gotten lucky with that.
Rather than blaming the owners saying they are prejudiced against dogs like it's a despicable trait, maybe take into consideration that the landlord who doesn't get insurance is opening themselves and their families up to a lot risk. It isn't their fault a lot of insurance companies put out a list of dogs where they won't insure you.
You mentioned you thought of buying a duplex and renting the other part out at one time.
You having never owned an asset as valuable as a home and being a lifelong renter probably never considered what might happen if you lost your home and everything you owned from a lawsuit.
In the end it's your choice because you love dogs so much as well as those owners you rented from, but it will not be good for you if you ever own a property and get sued because of the dog.
BTW my cousin has an akita and I've petted that dog many times I've visited, until one time it bit me. Now I don't touch that dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Rather than blaming the owners saying they are prejudiced against dogs like it's a despicable trait, maybe take into consideration that the landlord who doesn't get insurance is opening themselves and their families up to a lot risk. It isn't their fault a lot of insurance companies put out a list of dogs where they won't insure you.
You mentioned you thought of buying a duplex and renting the other part out at one time.
You having never owned an asset as valuable as a home and being a lifelong renter probably never considered what might happen if you lost your home and everything you owned from a lawsuit.
In the end it's your choice because you love dogs so much as well as those owners you rented from, but it will not be good for you if you ever own a property and get sued because of the dog.
BTW my cousin has an akita and I've petted that dog many times I've visited, until one time it bit me. Now I don't touch that dog
I wasn't blaming anyone or saying it's a "despicable trait" - that is just how you chose to interpret my words. I used the phrase "without prejudice" exactly as it means; to be without prejudice or bias towards any particular breeds. This is a neutral term, and I was not implying they should change their opinions or policies. So you really don't need to lecture me, lol.

Whether we agree with these policies or not, the FACT is that most landlords here do have "prejudice" against certain breeds. It might be justified, but that doesn't change the facts... and I was only trying to offer suggestions for those of us who do rent with larger dogs.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I'm a landlord. I won't knowingly rent to someone with dangerous dogs.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I wasn't blaming anyone or saying it's a "despicable trait" - that is just how you chose to interpret my words. I used the phrase "without prejudice" exactly as it means; to be without prejudice or bias towards any particular breeds. This is a neutral term, and I was not implying they should change their opinions or policies. So you really don't need to lecture me, lol.

Whether we agree with these policies or not, the FACT is that most landlords here do have "prejudice" against certain breeds. It might be justified, but that doesn't change the facts... and I was only trying to offer suggestions for those of us who do rent with larger dogs.
Let's look at the the use of your word prejudice
"preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."
There is a reason why landlord would not want to rent to someone with a large dog or listed breed. Not getting insurance is a good reason. Extra liability is another reason. That's not prejudice , that's a fact, a reason.
No matter how much you want to back peddle your post, it really is not a neutral statement when you say people have a prejudice against dogs because you are saying they are against dogs without any reaon or actual experience. Expect t get lectured when you make statements like this.
Yup, can't wait until you actually have skin in the game and if you decide to rent out to someone and see if you develop a "prejudice"

Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
'Cause you're predjudiced, meaning you have no facts or reasons not to . . . .

Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
Good question. We had planned to rent a big van and drive them, but one of the dogs gets car sick and that's a LONG drive with a car sick dog. Initially I was really hesitant to fly the dogs because of the horror stories and the fact that I can't imagine them being in the hold, BUT as far as stress goes it's probably... probably..a better option because you're talking a 5 hour flight vs a 3 day + trek.

So, ti answer yout question..we still need to figure it out. I may start a new thread asking for suggestions soon
Maybe you can find some type of Pet Air or Ground pet transport service to have the dogs be transported after you arrive? Or check with rescue groups, they might have some type of network in situation like this. Dogs get lost on airplanes often from what I see on the news. With all of these CA Wildfire Storms as well as the Hurricane Relief Efforts their has to be a better solution than an airplane. A helicopter ride would be better. Can't pets be mildly sedated to reduce stress and anxiety during trips also?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Let's look at the the use of your word prejudice
"preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."
There is a reason why landlord would not want to rent to someone with a large dog or listed breed. Not getting insurance is a good reason. Extra liability is another reason. That's not prejudice , that's a fact, a reason.
No matter how much you want to back peddle your post, it really is not a neutral statement when you say people have a prejudice against dogs because you are saying they are against dogs without any reaon or actual experience. Expect t get lectured when you make statements like this.
Yup, can't wait until you actually have skin in the game and if you decide to rent out to someone and see if you develop a "prejudice"
Quote:
'Cause you're predjudiced, meaning you have no facts or reasons not to . . . .
Oh, give it a rest... I was merely stating the truth (that many landlords don't allow certain breeds), whether or not you like how I phrased it. And it's unlikely I'll ever be a landlord in the Bay Area, if anywhere, so you can keep holding your breath for that "come-uppins."

I don't care if you believe me, but I really wasn't taking sides on the matter - especially since my dog isn't one of the restricted breeds, as he's just a harmless old mutt. My advice was of the practical sort, like if I'd told someone with a criminal record to find an employer who hires "without prejudice." And if we're arguing semantics, that idiom (which is precisely what I used) in legal terms means "open for negotiation." That's literally how I meant it, even if I agreed the restrictions were justified. *shrug*

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-13-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I think you mean (allegedly) dangerous breeds, which is different from dangerous dogs. And that is your right as a landlord... but again, I was only saying they'll have to find one who DOES rent to large and/or "restricted" breeds. They definitely exist, as evidenced by the fact that OP & I both managed to find them. You're obviously not in that category, so I guess we won't rent from you? Okay, that's cool.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-13-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, give it a rest... I was merely stating the truth (that many landlords don't allow certain breeds), whether or not you like how I phrased it. And it's unlikely I'll ever be a landlord in the Bay Area, if anywhere, so you can keep holding your breath for that "come-uppins."

I don't care if you believe me, but I really wasn't taking sides on the matter - especially since my dog isn't one of the restricted breeds, as he's just a harmless old mutt. My advice was of the practical sort, like if I'd told someone with a criminal record to find an employer who hires "without prejudice." And if we're arguing semantics, that idiom (which is precisely what I used) in legal terms means "open for negotiation." That's literally how I meant it, even if I agreed the restrictions were justified. *shrug*
So why should I give it a rest when you take every opportunity to label landlords as prejudiced against dogs?
I merely pointed out that if you have a viable reason that it is not prejudiced. Sorry you got butt hurt when called out on your blanket statement as using the wrong words. As a college educated person and a librarian I would expect you to have a better command of your words.

As far as you becoming a landlord you have mentioned it in past threads when it came to house buying.
As far as come uppins as you call it, it’s probably just as well as you are out of your depth because of your preconceptions of landlords and how they should screen tenants and how to rent out a place. If your parents are giving you a big enough down payment as you mentioned before it may not be worthwhile to be a landlord.

I have a few friends that started out as landlords And being generous to allowing tenants move in. While I told them to be strict and treat it like a business, they had the attitude that I was being overly strict and there was no need for being that way.
One had so much damage she can’t afford to repair the house and is walking away from it. Here credit will be shot.
The other has three tenants that she was not strict about and had to evict them out. The tenants have cause her to loose close to $20k along with sleepless nights. After that she admitted I was right and decided she couldn’t afford to lose money with lenient business practices.

It’s certainly up to any landlord who to rent to and allow pets or self insure. Myself and most of the successful real estate investors I know don’t rent to those breeds because of liablily.
Your net worth may not be worth a lot not owning property or your own house, but for those that are homeowners and have assets, getting insurance is important to protect that. They simply have more at stake than you do so while you think it’s okay to take the risk, they do not.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM

144 posts, read 128,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Maybe you can find some type of Pet Air or Ground pet transport service to have the dogs be transported after you arrive? Or check with rescue groups, they might have some type of network in situation like this. Dogs get lost on airplanes often from what I see on the news. With all of these CA Wildfire Storms as well as the Hurricane Relief Efforts their has to be a better solution than an airplane. A helicopter ride would be better. Can't pets be mildly sedated to reduce stress and anxiety during trips also?
The airlines won't accept sedated pets.

So in doing our research, it's going to be difficult no matter what. If we fly them, they'll need to be AT the airport 3 hours previous to the flight. A direct flight makes that somewhat bearable but we would have to drive them to Detroit to get a direct flight on Delta. My only other option near me is United, and they won't ship crates over 30" which is too small for our dogs.

We're most likely just going to rent a van that we can get their crates in and drive them. It's a longer ordeal, but it seems less stressful for them if they're crated in the same car as us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland