Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
1. Do you even think before you type? Marin County has beach houses unless you're going to tell me the houses in Stinson Beach, Dillon Beach, Bolinas , etc are all imaginary.
2. Marin County already has some subsidized housing, so there goes your statement that Marin made sure all the subsidized housing got built in Vallejo.
https://affordablehousingonline.com/...a/Marin-County

"There are 70 low income housing apartment complexes which contain 3,237 affordable apartments for rent in Marin County, California. Many of these rental apartments are income based housing with about 1,691 apartments that set rent based on your income. Often referred to as "HUD apartments", there are 767 Project-Based Section 8 subsidized apartments in Marin County. There are 1,546 other low income apartments that don't have rental assistance but are still considered to be affordable housing for low income families."

The BS that has got to stop is the stuff you make up to support your beliefs.
It's fun to tell others that are better off than you the sacrifices they have to make to accommodate others. Why try to better yourself with education and hard work when people like you will get housing for them in the best areas at taxpayers cost, which you've already said their income is low so they shouldn't have to pay for taxes.
I can't afford Marin County, but I know enough financially that I probably could game the system to make myself qualify for low income housing. "Only in America!"
You are correct about beaches in Marin County, I lived in Novato for quite a long time and knew better, with that said there really aren't many beaches, the coast is mostly rugged and rocky and there is no real proliferation of "beach houses" along the coast as there is along Southern California beaches because most of the property is public and not private -but in any case it was a dumb thing for me to say & I apologize. .

But I'm not making anything up - Marin has done everything they can to avoid building affordable housing, that's indisputable.

Quote:
In recent years, Marin residents have blocked housing of all kinds. The 400-unit project that county supervisors rejected in December was the third in six years developers proposed on the site, where a former Baptist seminary now sits abandoned. Another stalled project would have built 224 homes for low-income seniors and families on land owned by “Star Wars” creator George Lucas. A failed effort to redevelop a run-down strip mall into 82 apartments primarily for low-income residents fueled the defeat of a county supervisor who backed it.

As the state of California looks forward to a denser, more inclusive future, Marin is stuck in the past. Homeowners in the tony county north of the Golden Gate Bridge have gone out of their way to block housing—affordable housing, to be specific—in an effort to keep the place ensconced in an era that no longer exists. The most recent example: a 400-home development shot down by NIMBY residents. In Liam Dillion’s piece for the Los Angeles Times, predominantly white and wealthy residents have become emboldened in their language to protect their quality of life while keeping decades-long patterns of segregation firmly in place.
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/1/8/16863...fordable-homes
In 2011 Marin entered into an agreement with HUD to honor their commitment to build more affordable housing, at the time they were part of ABAG, a regional group that always seemed to decide the best place to build low income housing was in Vallejo https://www.kqed.org/a/kqednews/RN201111300630/a Needless to say they did not honor the terms of the agreement that they made because of past violations.

I can't find anything about 3237 affordable rental units in Marin County except for the link you used which provides no source for it's data and apparently is a website run by David Layfield and ApartmentSmart.com that allows for apartment owners to list their property. It might be correct but I can't find a single other source that supports it

Bottom line is that every County in California is mandated to provide some affordable housing, I can't think of a single reason why Marin should be exempt. My cousin lives in Dana Point, and even they have gotten on board with the idea and are providing income qualified housing https://livesouthcove.com/income-qualified-housing/ http://www.danapoint.org/home/showdocument?id=50

Last edited by 2sleepy; 03-11-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
The point is that there are low income units in Marin already and not like there aren't any at all. Marin is not just against poor people, I think they are nimbys to everyone.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Do you even think before you type?...

.... Why try to better yourself with education and hard work when people like you will get housing for them in the best areas at taxpayers cost, ...
Dodge ... do you really believe that wealthy people work “harder” to get their money than poor people?

I’m betting you personally know plenty of low income folks who work their asses off and their fingers to the bone to just get by ... and I’m betting you know of a fleet of boatloads of wealthy folks who didn’t / don’t do squat for their money. Some poor are lazy. Some rich work hard. And vice versa. And you know it.

And and and, there are plenty of well educated poor ... and wealthy school dropouts.
Quote:
I can't afford Marin County, but I know enough financially that I probably could game the system to make myself qualify for low income housing. "Only in America!"
Now I’m a bit baffled. You’ve written elsewhere you own 25 rental houses? And you can’t afford Marin?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So in other words it is good to bring some blight lest people "remain in their bubbles". In what ways, pray tell, are the newcomers "enriching" the existing residents? Decreased security/more crime, poor school performance, more trash on the streets, more juvenile delinquency?
Yeah. Much nicer to live where the crime the residents commit occurs in offices downtown, regardless of the scale of damage to society as a whole. At least the wealthy aren’t stealing bicycles around the corner!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Dodge ... do you really believe that wealthy people work “harder” to get their money than poor people?

I’m betting you personally know plenty of low income folks who work their asses off and their fingers to the bone to just get by ... and I’m betting you know of a fleet of boatloads of wealthy folks who didn’t / don’t do squat for their money. Some poor are lazy. Some rich work hard. And vice versa. And you know it.

And and and, there are plenty of well educated poor ... and wealthy school dropouts.

Now I’m a bit baffled. You’ve written elsewhere you own 25 rental houses? And you can’t afford Marin?
Yes I have over 25 rental houses, but to afford Marin is about 1 million for a small house. That means coming up with $200K down payment. Payments would be about $5,000 a month incuding piti. You must have the stereotype that landlords get to keep every cent they collect. I'm not a slumlord and keep my properties in good shape which costs money.
Now coming up with $200K is not easy, but I could do it over the next 4 or 5 years if I live cheaply and bank like crazy. How many people do you know can bank $50K a year after taxes, could you?
I can handle the 5k a month, but I would give up a lot of things I enjoy because so much income is used to cover housing. My net housing cost is about $1,000 a month here in Atlanta.
At this point the return for living in Ca is way too much for the extra cost in my case. So I technically can afford Marin, it's just that I would wind up being like many others and spending most of my money on housing.

As far as workers, there are plenty of people like you mention, but plenty of people who are the opposite. Whatever the case if someone works hard and can't afford to live where they want, then they also must work smarter and change their situation.
Are you saying someone works hard at McDonalds for 40 hours a week deserves to live in an affluent area simply by virtue of the fact that they work hard? I don't know a lot of rich people that sit on their butts. apparently you personally do know them and how much they actually work to make that statement. I would love to meet them, can you introduce me to them? Of course not, the truth is you don't know any of them, you just think they exist.
The people I know that have wealth are still working, many over 40 hours a week. It simply isn't the time spent, but how you spend your time. If it was simply time spent working hard, then a lot of low income workers would be wealthy, but they are not. It's up to them to change their path. Some won't because people like you are too busy trying to give them things for free to a point that they are just comfortable enough to stay where they are.
There's too many opportunities for getting ahead and at some point people need to make an effort if they want a better life. They can't all live cheaply on a boat like you do telling everyone else how they should live and how their tax money should be spent.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Much nicer to live where the crime the residents commit occurs in offices downtown, regardless of the scale of damage to society as a whole. At least the wealthy aren’t stealing bicycles around the corner!
ahhh, to live in the mind of the mutt where he thinks he knows the world better than everyone else does so he is allowed to be judgemental.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes I have over 25 rental houses, but to afford Marin is about 1 million for a small house. That means coming up with $200K down payment. Payments would be about $5,000 a month incuding piti. You must have the stereotype that landlords get to keep every cent they collect. I'm not a slumlord and keep my properties in good shape which costs money.
Now coming up with $200K is not easy, but I could do it over the next 4 or 5 years if I live cheaply and bank like crazy. How many people do you know can bank $50K a year after taxes, could you?
I can handle the 5k a month, but I would give up a lot of things I enjoy because so much income is used to cover housing. My net housing cost is about $1,000 a month here in Atlanta.
At this point the return for living in Ca is way too much for the extra cost in my case. So I technically can afford Marin, it's just that I would wind up being like many others and spending most of my money on housing.

As far as workers, there are plenty of people like you mention, but plenty of people who are the opposite. Whatever the case if someone works hard and can't afford to live where they want, then they also must work smarter and change their situation.
Are you saying someone works hard at McDonalds for 40 hours a week deserves to live in an affluent area simply by virtue of the fact that they work hard? I don't know a lot of rich people that sit on their butts. apparently you personally do know them and how much they actually work to make that statement. I would love to meet them, can you introduce me to them? Of course not, the truth is you don't know any of them, you just think they exist.
The people I know that have wealth are still working, many over 40 hours a week. It simply isn't the time spent, but how you spend your time. If it was simply time spent working hard, then a lot of low income workers would be wealthy, but they are not. It's up to them to change their path. Some won't because people like you are too busy trying to give them things for free to a point that they are just comfortable enough to stay where they are.
There's too many opportunities for getting ahead and at some point people need to make an effort if they want a better life. They can't all live cheaply on a boat like you do telling everyone else how they should live and how their tax money should be spent.
Hilariously circular, dodge.

First off, disclaimer: I, personally, the Mutt, am not a good metric ... because I live, and always have, completey outside the mainstream marketplace.

That said: not boasting (and read further to understand why), but I am loaded financially relative to most people. Interesting points about that fact relative to this discussion:

1. I worked long hard hours days weeks many years - all my life.

2. Working hard, I never made more than enough money to pay my minimalist bills

3. My bankroll came by a lucky investment gamble on a tip from a customer of mine back in the 70’s just as the oil embargo was about to hit. My gamble was based on nothing but a roll of my dice. Required no education, knowledge, experience, training, expertise. Lucky as a winning Lotto ticket.

So, yes, I can afford Marin and can “bank $50k a year after tax” easy.

No, I have no illusion about landlords “keeping every cent”. I live on a boat (I built) but I have built, myself by my own hands, several houses for family that I also repair and maintain. I know all about housing maintenance and costs ....which is part of the reason I don’t personally want one.

Now then, I didn’t ask you about why you choose to live elsewhere. I responded to your claim that, in spite of owning 25 rental houses, you can’t afford Marin. IF you wanted to, you obviously can afford it ... cash out properties to convert ... etc. Not interested in your personal lifestyle decisions on why Georgia and not Marin. That’s entirely your personal subjective choice and I have no beef with people’s subjective choices. Get it?

And no, I never said anything about McDonald’s workers deserving to be given a home in Marin. You are defensively fictionalizing what I said. I responded strictly to your summary oversimplification that education and hard work are required markers for successand wealth accumulation. No, they’re not.

As I wrote: there are lots of smart uneducated people. And lots of stupid educated ones. There are lots of hard working poor people. And lots of lazy wealthy.

I just admitted to you that my wealth is pure luck. Lots of folks get lucky - some by birth, some by gambling, some by being in the right place at the right time, some by connections ... some work as well ... some are lazy as sloths.

Plenty of smart, hard working folks, on the other hand, aren’t motivated by money. Some are, but run afoul of bad luck.

Material wealth can come from hard work. Education can be valuable. But these things are not magic keys.

What you wrote was wrong.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:

Your bootstrapper theory is great except that in Marin County 117k a year is considered low income https://www.marinij.com/2018/06/24/i...g-agency-says/

What would you suggest that someone earning $117,000 a year do to 'deserve' to live in the County where they work?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
ahhh, to live in the mind of the mutt where he thinks he knows the world better than everyone else does so he is allowed to be judgemental.
You fail to identify what you think I said that is wrong.

As for judgemental? Take a look at the post I responded to. THAT’s “judgemental”: that poor are riff-raff. Some are. Some aren’t. And rich people commit murders, rapes, embezzlements, fraud, spousal abuse, environmental rape and pillaging in the name of “business” ... and a lot of other crimes as well.

What I say is correct. As always.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You fail to identify what you think I said that is wrong.

As for judgemental? Take a look at the post I responded to. THAT’s “judgemental”: that poor are riff-raff. Some are. Some aren’t. And rich people commit murders, rapes, embezzlements, fraud, spousal abuse, environmental rape and pillaging in the name of “business” ... and a lot of other crimes as well.

What I say is correct. As always.
Sure mutt, sure. You've been floating on your boat way to long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland