Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 PM

292 posts, read 427,790 times

Advertisements

Hi, I rarely go to SF. I have an appointment on a Monday at 10 AM at the UCSF Mission Bay Campus at 1825 4th Street.

I had planned to leave at 6 AM from Albany by car. I know traffic is backed up then so I plan to be stuck in traffic. Will 3 hours be enough to allow me to cross the bridge? I cannot be late. Nor can I leave before 6 AM.

I have two other options:

1. Stay overnight in San Mateo and drive north at 6 AM via US-101 to UCSF.

2. Stay overnight near SFSU/mall and drive across the city at 6 AM.

Are either of these options better?

Also, is Mission Bay a dangerous area to park in in the lot or garage next to the hospital? Which is better? A garage or surface lot?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Hi, I rarely go to SF. I have an appointment on a Monday at 10 AM at the UCSF Mission Bay Campus at 1825 4th Street.

I had planned to leave at 6 AM from Albany by car. I know traffic is backed up then so I plan to be stuck in traffic. Will 3 hours be enough to allow me to cross the bridge? I cannot be late. Nor can I leave before 6 AM.

I have two other options:

1. Stay overnight in San Mateo and drive north at 6 AM via US-101 to UCSF.

2. Stay overnight near SFSU/mall and drive across the city at 6 AM.

Are either of these options better?

Also, is Mission Bay a dangerous area to park in in the lot or garage next to the hospital? Which is better? A garage or surface lot?

Thank you.
You have much better options available.

1) Take the ferry from Alameda to the SF Ferry Building. Then take the Muni KT train from Embarcadero station to UCSF Mission Bay. Use a Clipper card to save $1.70 on the boat fare.

https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/alameda/sffb

2) Take the 51A bus from Alameda to Fruitvale Bart. Take the Bart to Embarcadero and take the KT Muni train to UCSF Mission Bay.

http://www.actransit.org/wp-content/...1A-current.pdf

You could leave Alameda on the ferry at 8:20 am and arrive in SF at 8:40. Then you could grab a train to UCSF Mission bay and be there way before 9:30 am.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:46 AM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times
Sounds like OP is in Albany, not Alameda. But same thing applies. Take BART to the KT light rail. Leave around 8:15 and you'll be there with lots of time to spare. If you absolutely must drive, you still don't need anything close to four hours. It backs up, but not that badly barring a catastrophic accident (in which case, take BART). You should be fine leaving by 8 driving as well--just check traffic half an hour beforehand, and plan accordingly. I would take the train to avoid dealing with parking in Mission Bay, though. If you aren't able to walk to BART, you can buy a BART daily parking pass online ahead of time. It's $6 instead of $3 if you just show up, but it guarantees you a spot in the permit area (and the fee areas at both El Cerrito Plaza and North Berkeley do fill up early).

Old 11-14-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
You have much better options available.

1) Take the ferry from Alameda to the SF Ferry Building. Then take the Muni KT train from Embarcadero station to UCSF Mission Bay. Use a Clipper card to save $1.70 on the boat fare.

https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/alameda/sffb

2) Take the 51A bus from Alameda to Fruitvale Bart. Take the Bart to Embarcadero and take the KT Muni train to UCSF Mission Bay.

http://www.actransit.org/wp-content/...1A-current.pdf

You could leave Alameda on the ferry at 8:20 am and arrive in SF at 8:40. Then you could grab a train to UCSF Mission bay and be there way before 9:30 am.
Thanks capoeira But I have to use my car, as public transportation is not an option for me.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
Sounds like OP is in Albany, not Alameda. But same thing applies. Take BART to the KT light rail. Leave around 8:15 and you'll be there with lots of time to spare. If you absolutely must drive, you still don't need anything close to four hours. It backs up, but not that badly barring a catastrophic accident (in which case, take BART). You should be fine leaving by 8 driving as well--just check traffic half an hour beforehand, and plan accordingly. I would take the train to avoid dealing with parking in Mission Bay, though. If you aren't able to walk to BART, you can buy a BART daily parking pass online ahead of time. It's $6 instead of $3 if you just show up, but it guarantees you a spot in the permit area (and the fee areas at both El Cerrito Plaza and North Berkeley do fill up early).
Thanks artemis78!

Parking is easy since UCSF provides valet parking near the hospital for only $7 a day.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:32 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Sounds like OP is in Albany, not Alameda.
Sorry about that!

Bart is the fastest way to cross the bay. They could also take a transbay bus from Albany.

http://www.actransit.org/wp-content/...le-current.pdf

But since you are driving it is a good idea to check the Google traffic map before the trip.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Sorry about that!

Bart is the fastest way to cross the bay. They could also take a transbay bus from Albany.

But since you are driving it is a good idea to check the Google traffic map before the trip.
Thanks! I am not too mobile, so a car helps a lot!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,048 times
Though I don't have the first hand experience of crossing the Bay Bridge in the morning going into the city, I think it is going to be rough. Given the choices, I would stay at SFSU and take 280 to Mission Bay in the morning, getting onto it at Balboa Park or even Glen Park. Mission Bay is fine to park outside. 101 in the morning is more crowded in my experience, so staying over in San Mateo wouldn't work as well, besides it being quite a bit further away. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Thanks artemis78!

Parking is easy since UCSF provides valet parking near the hospital for only $7 a day.
If you don't have a FasTrak, you might consider borrowing one from a friend and reimbursing them for the bridge toll. That will help considerably since it opens up more lane options.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
Though I don't have the first hand experience of crossing the Bay Bridge in the morning going into the city, I think it is going to be rough. Given the choices, I would stay at SFSU and take 280 to Mission Bay in the morning, getting onto it at Balboa Park or even Glen Park. Mission Bay is fine to park outside. 101 in the morning is more crowded in my experience, so staying over in San Mateo wouldn't work as well, besides it being quite a bit further away. Good luck!
I love your idea peninsular! I think I will stay by SFSU and do the 280 thing.

Quote:
If you don't have a FasTrak, you might consider borrowing one from a friend and reimbursing them for the bridge toll. That will help considerably since it opens up more lane options.
This is also a good idea! Although I might go into the city Sunday evening instead. It's too bad they don't have pay-by-plate like the GG Bridge has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland