U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 02:26 PM

11,757 posts, read 6,684,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
I don't know anything about The Village Pub. Elaborate?
Geez you can look up all you want about that place.
Quote:
Even so, I'm not sure how one restaurant covers the entire Bay Area food scene.
LOL it's a representative example of how overrated the food scence is here even with a Michelin star.
Quote:
The story is of a chef who committed suicide because one of his stars was taken away. You're the first person I've ever heard suggest that the Michelin guide is irrelevant.
Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
It and the James Beard Foundation are accepted around the world as defining measures of fine dining.
One of the great myths debunked.

Myth: The MICHELIN Guide is only about fine dining and fancy restaurants.
Quote:
The other thing you linked was a Trip Advisor rating by some random guy from New Jersey about a restaurant in Tokyo. That's a pretty "out there" piece of support for an argument that's difficult to substantiate.
No it's not pretty out there. So how is this guys's experience and opinion any different from the people who deem a restaurant eligible to receive a Michelin Star? After all it's merely based on opinion as well.

I live where the weather is stunning so I am off to run around in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 02:54 PM

650 posts, read 395,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Geez you can look up all you want about that place.
LOL it's a representative example of how overrated the food scence is here even with a Michelin star.
Why am I not surprised?

One of the great myths debunked.

Myth: The MICHELIN Guide is only about fine dining and fancy restaurants.
No it's not pretty out there. So how is this guys's experience and opinion any different from the people who deem a restaurant eligible to receive a Michelin Star? After all it's merely based on opinion as well.

I live where the weather is stunning so I am off to run around in it.
I'm with you headed out the door... We should pick this up, though. I'd like to hear you articulate how the food scene here is "overrated". This, like the weather, is highly subjective, but thus far, you haven't offered anything to substantiate your claim.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM

9,612 posts, read 7,269,133 times
Weather is all relative to people. So many people from Ca poo poo the weather in other places and tout Ca weather as the best. They forget Ca is a big state. Needles is 120 in the summer. Arcata is cold and damp. Yet they say the weather is far superior to any other Podunk or hell hole in the US.
But some people like seasons.
Some people aren't as sensitive to weather unless it's extreme. A week ago it was cold enough here I wore a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt. Driving down the street I see people walking in short sleeve shirts. I get lunch and a guy in line is wearing shorts. So some people think weather is uncomfortable and others don't.

Last week my friend in the Bay area called and said he was freezing his butt off. Huh? Where is that perfect weather in Ca? He asked what was doing and I told him I was out for a walk in 73 degree sunny day-no humidity in Georgia. This in a state one frequent poster from Ca said had jungle like heat and humidity 9 months out of the year and snow the other 3 months. See how some Californians have totally incorrect ideas about what life is like in other places. Worse yet is when other people here parrot them yet have never lived here or other states.

Witness this thread where the OP thinks Ca has the best weather in the world and 95% of the world is a wasteland.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...your-life.html

The OP can't figure out that other parts of Ca have poor weather ( like Needles Ca and 120 heat in summers) and admits he has only lived in So Cal. But feels qualified to claim so cal has better weather than 95% of the world.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 AM

1,203 posts, read 734,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's rather odd how you keep hounding in micro-climates, Right?
I don't think it's just two posters. You have the same snarky behavior as you've always displayed in these forums. You know exactly what I mean.
LOL which is it? You are either playing some sort of obtuse game here or you are simply this obtuse.
I'd say that's an accurate description. And now it's back to the intolerance of other's viewpoints (even though he claims he's not) as he wants to argue about a subjective matter such as food tastes and try to discredit you with yet another ratings agency of people he will claim are much more knowledgeable than you (yep, obtuse it is!)

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM

15,449 posts, read 18,668,411 times
I like it to visit but no way would I want to live there!

A friends daughter just bought her first home in SF......it was 6mm!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:15 AM

1,341 posts, read 809,334 times
It used to be you packed your bags for San Francisco if you wanted to wear a flower in your hair and be part of the hippie counter culture. Now you pack your bags for San Francisco if you win Powerball.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM

650 posts, read 395,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I'd say that's an accurate description. And now it's back to the intolerance of other's viewpoints (even though he claims he's not) as he wants to argue about a subjective matter such as food tastes and try to discredit you with yet another ratings agency of people he will claim are much more knowledgeable than you (yep, obtuse it is!)
Actually, I was simply wondering what her reasoning was for saying the food scene in the Bay Area was overrated. She listed a particular restaurant as her point to this assertion with no elaboration as to why it was her example. I asked what she meant, as I am not familiar with that place.

I'm not seeking to discredit her at all, only trying to have a conversation.

She posted links that countered her position that the Michelin Guide is irrelevant, not me. One of the links she posted to supposedly show the guide's irrelevance was from Michelin itself! She misunderstood the headline.

So, is it also your assertion that the food scene in the Bay Area is overrated?

Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM

I've asked you to stop ascribing your personal narrative to me.

Nothing you stated about me misunderstanding the headline is accurate.

I posted the Michelin link to debunk your myth.

You made the ridiculous claim that:
Quote:
It and the James Beard Foundation are accepted around the world as defining measures of fine dining.
I posted the Michelin Guide link to debunk the above myth. I made it clear in my post as well. How you twist it into me not understanding the "headline" of the link is completely about your inability to follow along in a public forum.

From the Michelin link that debunks the myth you touted. 5 Myths About The MICHELIN Guide Debunked

Quote:
Myth: The MICHELIN Guide is only about fine dining and fancy restaurants

This is one bargain-savvy epicureans will be happy to hear: the MICHELIN Guide isn’t always about white table cloths and polished crystal glasses. Globally, stars have been awarded to a wide spectrum of restaurants, starting from the 2010 crowning of Hong Kong dim sum chain Tim Ho Wan’s hole-in-the-wall maiden outlet in Mongkok to the Y1,100-a-bowl (HKD82) streetside ramen noodle bar Tsuta in Tokyo last year. In 2016, the first one-Michelin-starred street food stall - which offers a plate of soya sauce chicken from HKD12 - was recognised in Singapore, truly proving that good food needs no minimum spend.

To cater to food hunters seeking a satisfying meal without breaking the bank (and who isn’t one?), the Bib Gourmand category introduced in 1955 recognises establishments who provide a stellar 3-course meal for a moderate price. This is capped at HK400 in Hong Kong, 36€ for restaurants in France, Spain and Italy, 37€ for restaurants in Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany, 28 pounds for the UK/Ireland guide, US$40 in American cities, S$45 in Singapore and Y5,000 in Tokyo.

In the 2016 edition of the France Guide, the MICHELIN Guide also debuted a brand new category in the guide, L’Assiette, or The Plate in English, which recognises restaurants that serve that serve “a good, simple meal”, but which haven’t been awarded stars or bibs.

If you can't learn to follow along in a public forum then what's the point of posting?

Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post

Old 12-09-2018, 02:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,390,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
AntiColdWeather,

What an appropriate screen name for this thread.

I would take some of these comments with a grain of salt. My wife and I relocated from San Francisco to Round Rock, TX (roughly 25 miles outside of Austin) just under one year ago. Some of these comments made by this DeanO guy are simply inaccurate. First off, I've had 1 mosquito bite since we got here. I have no idea where all these bugs are that he talks about, but maybe they're just giving us a break because we're transplants. We've gone on numerous hikes so it's not like they haven't had their crack at us. About the only negative thing I've experienced from the elements was a Cedar allergy that took me down for 3 days. Other than that, it's been a clean slate.

His weather comments are comical. No one I've ever known has talked about microclimates in the city of San Francisco (and we lived there for decades). When the term microclimates come up, it's typically to describe these swings of up to 40 degrees that happen when you drive into the East Bay or South of the city in the summer. I worked in Pleasant Hill for a short time when we live in San Francisco. I would leave the house with a temperature of 55 degrees. By the time I got across the Bay Bridge, it was 70 degrees. Then it was 80 degrees on the other side of the Caldecott, and by the time I got to work, it was 95 degrees. We had another friend have some people visit him from the Midwest. They lived in Pleasanton and it was 100 degrees on the day his friends were there. They were heading to the city and were packing their ski jackets. Their friends refused to pack a jacket and accused them of trying to prank them. They became victim to another vendor in Fisherman's Wharf as they doled out the cash for their Fisherman's Wharf sweat shirts (they sucker so many people with that one). No one I've ever known has talked about the few degree differences in the city that I know of (simply ridiculous and it shows that he hasn't live in San Francisco very long).

We left for for a few reasons. The biggest being the cost of living. But not too far behind was the cold weather. Both myself and my wife feel the weather in Austin is significantly superior to that of San Francisco (and yes, I'm referring only to the city of San Francisco where we resided). We were warned that the summers would be oppressively hot. It ended up being not nearly as bad as we thought it would be (maybe because my expectations were just so bad from what the locals told me). I didn't let it stop me from getting out and just made sure to get back in by about 10:30 or so (it was less than 85 before that). The hottest time of the day was actually around 5 or 6 in the afternoon. With that said, the trade off is for exceptional weather for at least 8 months of the year (we're talking in the high 60s to low 80 degree range). Honestly, what could be better. San Francisco is simply cold and I know when I go back and visit, I'm going to need a parka, because we are certainly acclimated to warmer weather. You can keep the San Francisco weather.
Not just Austin, but even Houston has better weather than SF, hurricanes aside.

I'll take the heat and humidity of the Gulf anyway over cold summer days in San Fran, or baking hot days you get in Walnut Creek. The rainless summers drive me crazy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland