U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM

7,936 posts, read 5,684,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeshift-piano View Post
I recently took a trip to San Francisco and i must say that I loved the city as far as scenery and activities went. The people make the city a bad place basically IMO.
How did you know who was a native and who wasn't? Or are you just referring to people who weren't tourists?

I live in San Francisco, but I'm not a native. I've lived here two years, with a one-year gap between those stays.

Quote:
Everyone I met that was a native was a walking contradiction. Itís like they forgot how to just be and its made them harsh people who judge and try to act way too cool and fashionable.
Yeah, in Union Square - one of the big shopping meccas for the area - a lot of wealthy/jetsetter/fashionistas (or at least, wannabes thereof) walk around and pass judgement on people who aren't just like them. You also have a lot of hipster art students who aren't from here who go to school nearby who are kind the same deal. It's no different from going to whatever the uptown area of any other city is, really...

Quote:
Everything becomes kind of regular for them and nothing remains exclusive. They have spoiled themselves to the point that they dont even realize it and they are scared as hell of everyone who isnt like them.
That is probably the most contradictory, counterintuitive and untrue analysis of the general population of San Francisco that I've ever read.

Quote:
Im not saying every single person I met is like this, but i didnt meet anyone who asked how i was doing until i got on haight stÖ
Did they follow that up with "listen man, I'm really hungry..."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM

542 posts, read 575,900 times
As a teen, I visited San Fran and was browsing musical instruments in store with my brother. The owners very meanly told us to "get out of here" - yeah ok obviously we weren't going to buy anything but.. I also remember eating at some fancy old Italian place where they let us eat, but it was awkward. It was as though you had to be mob to eat there, and we just a tourist family off the beaten off looking for a decent meal- it was weird but I suppose that could happen anywhere. Growing up reading about the Haight, it was of course very disappointing then when I finally got there. Just think, 10 years ago was 2000, seems like yesterday. By 1983, where HAD all the flowers gone? Shrivled up and died I guess. Course these things don't make the city, but that's my memory.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM

7,271 posts, read 5,778,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
By 1983, where HAD all the flowers gone? Shrivled up and died I guess.
More like, by 1969.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,420 times
Traffic sucks, sports suck, overpriced, public schools suck, too congested.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...#ixzz1GaYcZ4OP

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM

The ONLY descent areas are Marin County and North SF near the Presidio and Marina. Its the only place in the World that has traffic reports at 4:30am and 1:30pm. Disguisting.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 PM

593 posts, read 435,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_ri View Post
The ONLY descent areas are Marin County and North SF near the Presidio and Marina. Its the only place in the World that has traffic reports at 4:30am and 1:30pm. Disguisting.

"The only place in the World"? Hah!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,017,686 times
To all of you that think the Bay Area sucks:

1. MOVE!- Why waste precious years of your life in a place you can't stand? Seriously, there are other places in the US to live that are probably cheaper and less stressful. It rains for 3-5 months out of the year, FOG will never go away, it's HELLA expensive, people here aren't welcoming to transplants with shallow worldviews and a lack of education... Save everyone the headache!
2. DON'T MOVE HERE!- It's crowded enough with people who actually want to live here. By not moving here, you help push the cost of housing (as ridiculous as it is) down. Seriously, I hear LA and and Las Vegas are soooooooooooo much better!
3. DON'T EVEN VISIT!- You tourist jackasses ruin the fun us hard working stiffs can have on our days off. Vegas and LA welcome you with open arms!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,603,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
To all of you that think the Bay Area sucks:

1. MOVE!- Why waste precious years of your life in a place you can't stand? Seriously, there are other places in the US to live that are probably cheaper and less stressful. It rains for 3-5 months out of the year, FOG will never go away, it's HELLA expensive, people here aren't welcoming to transplants with shallow worldviews and a lack of education... Save everyone the headache!
2. DON'T MOVE HERE!- It's crowded enough with people who actually want to live here. By not moving here, you help push the cost of housing (as ridiculous as it is) down. Seriously, I hear LA and and Las Vegas are soooooooooooo much better!
3. DON'T EVEN VISIT!- You tourist jackasses ruin the fun us hard working stiffs can have on our days off. Vegas and LA welcome you with open arms!
I agree about not moving somewhere or staying somewhere that you don't like, but we need tourist dollars! Also, the fact that it rains 3 to 5 months is more of a lure than a deterrent. Most climates have year round rainfall. Besides deserts, which are much drier, only Mediterranean climates like ours can boast 7 to 9 months of little to no rain! And technically, there are about 65 days of actual rain in those 3 to 5 months... Don't keep people here with those stats!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 PM

You know what they really need MORE of in the Bay Area? Something you NEVER see? 1998 Hondas with blacked windows and the mufflers pulled off, lol. Man what a bunch of losers! Too many foreigners too that can't drive worth the crap.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 9,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_ri View Post
You know what they really need MORE of in the Bay Area? Something you NEVER see? 1998 Hondas with blacked windows and the mufflers pulled off, lol. Man what a bunch of losers! Too many foreigners too that can't drive worth the crap.
Dude, you're embarrassing the fine state of Rhode Island.

There are parts of southern New England that are just like that too. The only difference is that in CA (not just in the Bay Area), the "foreigners" are from different places.

Does that bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland