Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 8,957 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

About to ask the impossible, but could really use suggestions. Unfortunately, my job requires that I actually drive to work in SF (and during normal commute hours). SO also works in the city (but can take public transportation). As such, we will have 2 cars (work car plus a personal one that we will share.)

We currently rent in San Ramon and really like the suburban life, but unfortunately driving that distance seems unbearable. I could really use suggestions on locations to live in. I was thinking maybe Marin or somewhere in San Mateo county, although am unsure of the commutes at peak times (I've been playing with Google's traffic estimation tool, but could use first hand opinions).

The general things that we're looking for are safety/some semblance of quiet/parking. Open to renting or buying, but I think our budget puts buying out of our price range. Looking at an absolute max (and would prefer to spend less) of about $3,200 per month for either rent or mortgage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You haven't told us how much space you're looking for; is it just you and your SO? Would a 1br. apt. or cottage be enough? If I were you, I'd want to keep the commute as short as possible. There are nice 1 br. homes or duplex apartments nestled in the trees in Fairfax (Marin), but that would still be too long a commute, during commute hours. The GG Bridge is awful at that time, and even the main drag through Fairfax south toward the bridge is bad. That really sucks, that they make you drive to work, when there are buses and ferries that would take you there from Marin, and trains from south of SF.

So, the only practical options that wouldn't cause you to hate life every day, would be Pacifica, or Daly City. Your price point is fine for finding an apartment. Here, in fact, is a 3 br. house for rent, in your price range, though this is unusual for Pacifica. Take a look at Craigslist, to get an idea. You'll be in a completely different climate, in Pacifica, compared to where you are now. There will be fog. There will also be beach, though.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa...760519451.html

See also the Richmond District in San Francisco. There are nice 2-br. apts. in your price range. Again--fog in the summers. The Richmond is walkable, though, with lots of restaurants and shops, and GG Park is nearby, as is the beach. Also look around the Presidio, and the Sunset District.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...758418814.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...date=all+dates

Where in SF is your job, btw?

Noe Valley:https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...768471231.html

North Beach/Telegraph Hill:https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...767516290.html

Seek, and ye shall find, OP.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-13-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
You may be able to find something acceptable in Daly City, Brisbane, or South City. Heck, you might even have some luck on the outskirts of SF--Ingleside, Excelsior, Crocker-Amazon, Little Hollywood, etc. You'll have to do your due diligence, though! I would not bother looking at anything across a bridge since you absolutely must drive to work during regular commute hours.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:03 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions so far - forgot to mention that the place would be for both myself and the SO. Apartment or house is fine for both purchasing and/or renting. The biggest worry that I had about living in SF itself (aside from it being perhaps a little less than suburban) is that we need parking for two cars.

EDIT: Forgot to add the laundry in the unit would also be highly preferred (which also seems to be super rare in SF?).

Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banetsrp View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions so far - forgot to mention that the place would be for both myself and the SO. Apartment or house is fine for both purchasing and/or renting. The biggest worry that I had about living in SF itself (aside from it being perhaps a little less than suburban) is that we need parking for two cars.

EDIT: Forgot to add the laundry in the unit would also be highly preferred (which also seems to be super rare in SF?).

Thanks again!
Well, OP, we've already given you plenty of suggestions, basically--all there is, within a reasonable drive of wherever your workplace is. The rest is up to you. You have to scan Craigslist yourself, or look at property management agency websites, that operate in the City. You're the one who will have to find the units that have the amenities you want.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Yeah, definitely avoid crossing a bridge (any of them) if at all possible... aside from the traffic concerns, you're also screwed if it gets closed down for any reason. I'd second the suggestions of Pacifica or Daly City, if you don't mind the foggy weather. I lived in Pacifica for a brief time, and it was an easy 10 minutes to the SF border. How much farther you have to go from there makes a difference, however, as you're looking at another 15-20 minutes to the Financial District - maybe more, depending on traffic. So if you're working on that side of town, maybe look for something in Brisbane or really anywhere near 101 & north of Belmont-ish. Burlingame is great, but I don't know what their apartments are renting for these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banetsrp View Post
Yes, having in-unit laundry is quite rare in SF. But if you really want to live in the city, try the southwest side; Sunset, Ingleside, Lake Merced, etc. It has a more suburban feel, and is more likely to offer things like parking and laundry. My place in Parkmerced had one parking spot for $85/mo (which IS a deal for the city), and the option of purchasing a second spot... no washer/dryer in our apartment, but each little courtyard had a laundry room that maybe 5-6 units shared.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-13-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 12:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,528 times
Have you looked into the east bay suburban areas?

Old 12-14-2018, 03:07 AM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
If I were coming from San Ramon and wanted a similar vibe but a shorter commute I'd check out San Rafael in Marin.
It's warmish, suburban, and upscale. There will still be traffic but much less of it, and the golden gate is a breeze compared to the Bay Bridge. You have a large enough budget to afford something there. I've done the commute on occasion and it typically takes an hour. Of course, depends where you are going, crossing market is always a pain. Which neighborhood in SF?

P.S. The Marin towns south of SF are nice too, and even a little closer, however, they are really small and sleepy, unlike San Ramon.

Last edited by IM90046; 12-14-2018 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: Add PS

Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
If I were coming from San Ramon and wanted a similar vibe but a shorter commute I'd check out San Rafael in Marin.
It's warmish, suburban, and upscale. There will still be traffic but much less of it, and the golden gate is a breeze compared to the Bay Bridge. You have a large enough budget to afford something there. I've done the commute on occasion and it typically takes an hour. Of course, depends where you are going, crossing market is always a pain. Which neighborhood in SF?

P.S. The Marin towns south of SF are nice too, and even a little closer, however, they are really small and sleepy, unlike San Ramon.
Umm....no. The GG Bridge during commute hours is not a breeze. And since when is any part of Marin located south of SF? Do you mean southern Marin? Mill Valley, Larkspur? I agree that Marin would be great, but I think the car commute would get old very fast.

OP, several of us have asked you where in SF your job is. But, no matter. You can look up different neighborhoods on Craigslist, to scope out typical rents. I included a North Beach/Telegraph Hill listing, in case your job location is downtown/FiDi, and Noe Valley, just so you can see that you don't have to go way out toward the beach to find something affordable. You can take it from here, in terms of exploring.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the responses. I will be mostly in Civic Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland