Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

Walnut Creek.

Easy BART access, good schools, and much more value for $1.2m than Larkspur/Corte Madera. Also, as a native New Englander, it looks more like a town than Dublin/Pleasanton which in parts feel more like recently built sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfam View Post
Hi - relocating from Boston to the bay area for work. Office will be right in the Embarcadero area, so I was hoping to take the BART or any type of public transit.

I have three young children; oldest starting 4th grade. I'm looking for excellent schools and a great sense of community. Price: ideally not more than 1.2m, although, we'll likely rent at first (hoping to spend no more than 6k/month).

We've been told that Moraga, Orinda, Lafayette are good areas close to the BART and quick ride to SF. Also, Walnut Creek.

Lately, I've heard that Dublin, Pleasanton, are good - thoughts?

Also, we heard Almaden Valley is good (probably to rent, as purchasing is insane there!!). Just not sure if it's easy to get to SF via public transport.

Am I missing out an any areas? I'm (not so) secretly addicted to searching homes online

Thanks!

Orinda and Lafayette are both good - though Dublin/Pleasanton may have more options within your budget.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM

653 posts, read 463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Orinda and Lafayette are both good - though Dublin/Pleasanton may have more options within your budget.
I did a lot of real estate searching when I moved here recently too! Try not to get discouraged. Sadly, your price range and requirements will be tough to match.

Agreed--Dublin-Pleasanton is definitely less expensive, but that is a brutally long BART ride or drive away. I have family in Livermore (nearby there) that I rarely see because of the distance.

Walnut Creek and up to the Pleasant Hill/Concord area aren't as nice as La/Mor/inda but offer good transit connections at prices within your budget.

Peninsula towns will be even tougher to hit that budget, but offer many more options in good schools and transportation into SF via CalTrain.

What about Larkspur or the San Rafael area up in Marin? Arguably the most beautiful part of the Bay Area, great schools abound, family-oriented, a little snobbish, but in a laid-back kind of way, it too, will test your budget for a family residence (and require a lot of sweat equity to come close) but the commute to the Embarcadero is a 35-minute ferry ride every day! Or, it's 50 minutes on a park-and-ride style Golden Gate Transit bus, which is not too bad, either--express service with only two or three stops.

I ride the ferry SF to Oakland, where I work, so my info on Larkspur and Golden Gate Transit is not first hand, but I know people who say both are clean and reliable.

Farther up 101 is Novato and Petaluma. Those places can also use the Larkspur ferry landing for a reasonably pleasant half of their commute to the Embarcadero, once they've made the lengthy initial drive. Again, no firsthand experience, but I have heard this is a doable compromise.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
Default Novato

I just went into contract on a house in south Novato that had plenty of square footage and was relatively new construction with significant upgrades in your price range. Smart Train is nearby with expected direct drop off at the Larkspur ferry by the end of the year (and a bus connection in San Rafael until then). Good schools, shopping and hiking trails. North Marin is the best kept secret in the bay area after my exhaustive research.
Staying in Alameda now which is really nice but you wont get nearly the house or condition.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 6,089 times
Tough to find much in the way of homes in Lamorinda for $1m, honestly. All close to BART lines, but you must get parked EARLY (like before 8) to get a spot in a lot in Lafayette and Orinda at least. Great schools -- Acalanes school district is one of the best in the state and well ranked nationally. Great suburban lifestyle -- Orinda has fewer "neighborhoods" as it is quite hilly, but lovely. Lafayette has a mix of more urban and neighborhoods, and Moraga has lots of neighborhoods, I would say. It is more secluded and a longer commute to BART from Moraga and there are really only 3 roads that go into and out of Moraga, so that can be problematic. Great community feel, but having grown up here and our kids going through the schools here, I would say that the academic pressure is pretty intense. Lots of kids do lots of sports and it is an active community; great summertime concerts in the park. Orinda has a lovely old fashioned 4th of July parade and fun run. My husband did the BART SF commute and while it is convenient, it is expensive and a GRIND, but lots of us do it to live here! If you can shift your schedule off of the 9-5, you will have a better shot of not standing all the way to and from work on BART.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallach1957 View Post
Smart Train is nearby with expected direct drop off at the Larkspur ferry by the end of the year (and a bus connection in San Rafael until then).
To clarify, the SMART station in Larkspur will be somewhere between 1/3- and 1/2-mile from the ferry terminal. In any event, it's faster and cheaper to take the Golden Gate Transit commuter bus directly to SF than it is to deal with the SMART/walk/ferry/walk combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland