Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindafamily View Post
A perfect neighborhood where kids play outside is where we live - in Dublin! Dublin is one of the most prestigious, exclusive and expensive places in the entire Bay Area. We moved here 3 years back. You will find a lot of diversity here. Ton of celebrations every month where you will learn about Indian culture, Indian holidays, etc. If you are lucky, an Indian family will befriend you & invite you to celebrate Indian holidays. I cannot tell you what an amazing life we have had since the last 4 years. Agreed, there is no caucasian families in the community where I live, there is only Asians, but hey this is the Bay Area! No matter where you go here you will find this kind of diversity which is what makes it so special!
How is having all Asians diverse? You make it sound like the goal is to have an Indian family become friends with you.
As far as Dublin being one of the most prestigious, exclusive, and expensive places in the entire Bay Area, that is false. Dublin has long been known as the blue collar part of the tri Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiena View Post
SF not really a kid feiendly place..
No large city is. The thread was referring to the Bay Area as a whole.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:38 AM

227 posts, read 538,326 times
Check out Alameda (especially Bay Farm) and San Leandro-- they're both small, flat cities with tons of families. I have friends in both of those cities with teens/pre-teens, and their kids (boys) are out all the time on their own around the neighborhood. I would think neighborhoods like Redwood Heights, Maxwell Park, and Rockridge also have some kids wandering around, maybe with an adult within shouting proximity. Certainly not the Oakland Hills/Montclair. I think there are a lot of reasons that kids aren't playing unsupervised outside like I did when I was a kid-- neighborhood kids not attending neighborhood schools, screen-time/video games, dual working parents, scheduled after school/weekend activities, proximity of parks/recreational activities to the home, cultural differences, safety concerns (including reckless/distracted drivers).

Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,225 times
My time growing up was filled with playing whiffleball, basketball, Nerf football, sledding, snowball fights, jumping off our garage roof into giant snowpiles, riding my bike all over town, throwing baseballs against the tree in my backyard, roaming through the woods, keg parties in the woods........

But I grew up in the 80's.

I think there's a lot less of that now. That was the latch key generation. Now letting kids play outside unsupervised is considered shocking parental neglect it seems--even though may of the parents of today were the latch key kids of yesterday. But every generation corrects the real or perceived mistakes of the last generation. Often they over correct. And today's helicopter parenting is probably a case of over correction.

Of course do kids today care? We didn't have Playstation 4, Facebook, Instagram, Netflix....... Has technology kept kids indoors?

Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
My time growing up was filled with playing whiffleball, basketball, Nerf football, sledding, snowball fights, jumping off our garage roof into giant snowpiles, riding my bike all over town, throwing baseballs against the tree in my backyard, roaming through the woods, keg parties in the woods........

But I grew up in the 80's.

I think there's a lot less of that now. That was the latch key generation. Now letting kids play outside unsupervised is considered shocking parental neglect it seems--even though may of the parents of today were the latch key kids of yesterday. But every generation corrects the real or perceived mistakes of the last generation. Often they over correct. And today's helicopter parenting is probably a case of over correction.

Of course do kids today care? We didn't have Playstation 4, Facebook, Instagram, Netflix....... Has technology kept kids indoors?
But the issues pertaining to societal change (and fear among parents) are not confined to kids playing outside in the Bay Area.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
But the issues pertaining to societal change (and fear among parents) are not confined to kids playing outside in the Bay Area.
I know. That's what I was trying to say.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I don’t see kids playing outside often, but I do see the. running around Rockridge and Piedmont Ave getting boba, ice cream and other stuff. I saw some ore-teens yesterday on the bus. They were olaying a game with some friends - who will get there first.

All of my parent friends seem to have more playdates and fewer unstructured llay outside moments.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 PM

12 posts, read 9,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
When driving through Dublin, I rarely see kids outside. Are there certain area's (West Dublin vs. East Dublin) that have more kids?
Kids in Dublin never play outside, at least where I live in East Dublin. That has been a hot topic of discussion since the last year. Most kids are either playing in park or in backyard. The culture of playing on the streets is not there here which is kind of sad but true

Old 03-04-2019, 12:09 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindafamily View Post
Kids in Dublin never play outside, at least where I live in East Dublin. That has been a hot topic of discussion since the last year. Most kids are either playing in park or in backyard. The culture of playing on the streets is not there here which is kind of sad but true
Playing in a park or backyard IS playing outside. I think the OP meant--playing outside, around the neighborhood (vs. backyards), but the local park would also fit that definition of "playing outside".

Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,585 times
I grew up in a small city in Canada, and I observed the same trend. I grew up in the late 80's/early 90's and I remember playing outside with my friends, but as the 90's progressed, I noticed less and less kids playing outside. I think it was all the paranoia hyped in the media about pedophiles and kidnappings during the 90's, even though those cases are extremely rare. I also grew up in the inner city, where there was more parks, green spaces and walkable neighborhoods. I literally had 3 parks that were blocks from me where I would hang out with my friends and we were between the ages of 7 to 12 without any parent supervision. I would just walk over to there houses, and knock on the door and asked if they could play outside. And yes, we got in trouble...but that's a normal part of growing up.
Best childhood ever. I feel sorry for kids these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland