U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM

20,162 posts, read 11,458,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Aka the dumps
It’s on Busch street though, not valley street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM

36,073 posts, read 39,796,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Aka the dumps
When I think "dump" I think of Turk Island in Union City. It's where my dad used to take stuff when I was a kid. It was literally giant piles of stuff, acres of it, everything from food waste to old furniture to tires to whatever you can imagine. I once saw the backend of a dead dog sticking out of small garbage hill, and we found a box of record albums that someone just left outside their car after they drove away. It was a magical place...lol.

The recycling center in Pleasanton is no that kind of place. It's a sorting facility, you go inside a building to unload whatever you bring in, and it gets processed and goes elsewhere from there. Bottles, cans, anything reusable, etc. get's pulled out and handled on it's own. I take bottles and cans that we save just to redeem for cash on a regular basis. We don't get odors wafting around the city from it.

I literally cringe at the places that other poster was highlighting as "the only good places" and wouldn't choose to live in any of those extremely high density areas in Dublin. To each their own though.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:35 PM

9,617 posts, read 7,277,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I think "dump" I think of Turk Island in Union City. It's where my dad used to take stuff when I was a kid. It was literally giant piles of stuff, acres of it, everything from food waste to old furniture to tires to whatever you can imagine. I once saw the backend of a dead dog sticking out of small garbage hill, and we found a box of record albums that someone just left outside their car after they drove away. It was a magical place...lol.

The recycling center in Pleasanton is no that kind of place. It's a sorting facility, you go inside a building to unload whatever you bring in, and it gets processed and goes elsewhere from there. Bottles, cans, anything reusable, etc. get's pulled out and handled on it's own. I take bottles and cans that we save just to redeem for cash on a regular basis. We don't get odors wafting around the city from it.

I literally cringe at the places that other poster was highlighting as "the only good places" and wouldn't choose to live in any of those extremely high density areas in Dublin. To each their own though.
I forgot about Turk island. I grew up in Hayward so I vaguely remember that place.
I agree about to each their own, but can’t stand it when someone makes outrageous and false claims. Several of us know the truth, but to outsiders it paints a false picture.
That poster does a disservice to others.
Hopefully others will see where they mentioned the target store as one on the high points of east Dublin and judge the source accordingly.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 PM

28,005 posts, read 60,758,497 times
Yep... I remember Turk Island and years later I met the owner... he was in his 80's and was seeing a neighbor of my parents... said timing was sheer luck... buying the land for next to nothing and operating the dump and then selling at a time before all of the extensive land use policies implemented...

I also remember Russel City and it did smell like a dump... at least this is my memory... now industrial park with warehouse after warehouse.

The congestion seems to me much worse around Pleasanton than Walnut Creek but that isn't getting any better either.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 PM

9,617 posts, read 7,277,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yep... I remember Turk Island and years later I met the owner... he was in his 80's and was seeing a neighbor of my parents... said timing was sheer luck... buying the land for next to nothing and operating the dump and then selling at a time before all of the extensive land use policies implemented...

I also remember Russel City and it did smell like a dump... at least this is my memory... now industrial park with warehouse after warehouse.

The congestion seems to me much worse around Pleasanton than Walnut Creek but that isn't getting any better either.
So true. I come back and am amazed how much worse it's gotten over the last few years. All that ugly high density housing in Dublin has added a lot more traffic too.
I think Hayward still has a Russell City Blues Festival held at Kennedy park?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 PM

28,005 posts, read 60,758,497 times
I believe you are right... Kennedy Park where the kids could climb to their hearts content on an old Military Jet and petting zoo.

Bay Area traffic continues to worsen... the only reprieve was during the foreclosure crisis... 2009-12 where it was noticeably lighter.

Another thing for anyone considering Pleasanton-Walnut Creek is all the Fastrac lanes going in... paying to use the express thing has arrived in the SF East Bay...

Dublin is one of the cities singled out for praise for meeting the housing challenge... it has been build, build, build...

Quite a few co-workers actually live closer to Livermore... they like their homes but hate their commute... a few poor souls commute from Mountain House, Salida, etc...

Old 07-04-2019, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 14,432 times
I am looking at a new job as a school teacher in East Palo Alto. We are a family of 4 looking for an '80s built home. A newer build we could not afford, any suggestions?
Retired Army

Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 PM

50 posts, read 57,507 times
Pleasanton has closer proximity to San Jose and Oakland, WC is closer to SF. I prefer Pleasanton to Walnut Creek for many reasons. But honestly, I'd think you'd be happy in either town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland