Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Because it’s demand relative to SUPPLY. That’s why I mentioned the low apartment vacancy rate.
So you just agreed with me then.
The bottom line is the demand affects the price which affects people decisions on whether or not to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So you just agreed with me then.
The bottom line is the demand affects the price which affects people decisions on whether or not to live there.
I’m stating the same thing I said in my posts #32 and #42. What an apartment leases for in Toledo is irrelevant to the supply and demand in SF. That someone chooses to go to Toledo based on price, or any other factor, is irrelevant - because it’s not impacting the demand still in place here (which is why rent in SF continues to inch upward). Career opportunity and/or a desire to live here is what drives this demand - not families deciding to live in Toledo because it’s cheaper (per your example).

SF is an expensive city to live - if rental comparisons and a lower COL are a family’s priority, it isn’t likely SF would even make their list of serious options to consider. So yeah, the fact they would hypothetically choose Toledo is irrelevant to supply and demand in SF.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-14-2019 at 05:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Dodge, you are wasting entirely too much time on him. The minute he started dancing and being obtuse, I just shut it down. There are just too many people on this forum and others that want to try and twist things just to argue for the sake of arguing.

Well duh!

Who the hell did you think we were talking about?!

Nothing more needed to be said than this. Why he persists with the rest of this stuff is beyond me. What a complete waste of time.

Of course people take it in consideration. It happens all the time. Joe gets an offer to either go to San Francisco for a specific dollar amount or somewhere else. The offer looks lucrative to go to San Francisco until Joe sees what the COL is (i.e housing/renting). He opts for the other venue as he realizes his money would go further. This isn't rocket science.

There have always been jobs in other cities - and will always be people who wish to move to a less expensive area (in which case SF wouldn’t even be on their list) - and yes, it happens all the time. But that doesn’t change the fact there are excellent job opportunities here (for some) and other reasons people want to (or have to) move here. It does not alter the fact demand continues to outpace supply in SF - period, or we wouldn’t be discussing this thread topic in the first place. The rental market in Toledo is not relevant to (or tied to) the rental market in SF. People looking for a lower COL is not what is driving the demand in SF; but rather - career opportunity, higher salaries, lifestyle, picturesque views, and all the Bay Area has to offer.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-15-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Which was never the point but rather some cute little tangent you felt the need to go into (and apparently still do) instead of just admit from the start that rental costs are relevant as is a comparison to other areas (and people do it all the time). Seriously, just give it a rest already.
Actually, initially - my original point was made in agreement with another poster (#16). My statement (regarding supply and demand - and high rent prices per the thread) was questioned in post #22 (and continued to be) so it’s not a ‘tangent’ at all. No reason to be emotional or personal about it.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-15-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
I’m stating the same thing I said in my posts #32 and #42. What an apartment leases for in Toledo is irrelevant to the supply and demand in SF. That someone chooses to go to Toledo based on price, or any other factor, is irrelevant - because it’s not impacting the demand still in place here (which is why rent in SF continues to inch upward). Career opportunity and/or a desire to live here is what drives this demand - not families deciding to live in Toledo because it’s cheaper (per your example).

SF is an expensive city to live - if rental comparisons and a lower COL are a family’s priority, it isn’t likely SF would even make their list of serious options to consider. So yeah, the fact they would hypothetically choose Toledo is irrelevant to supply and demand in SF.
Now that I am looking to move to the BA, it makes the LA area, where I used to live... look "cheap"...

Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How can you say price has no relevancy to demand? You don't think that if the average rent was $900 a month there wouldn't be even more demand?
I said the price in Toledo had no relevance to supply and demand in SF.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 PM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
I said the price in Toledo had no relevance to supply and demand in SF.
But it does. People will compare cities based on amenities, col, etc. if people deem that San Francisco is so desirable that Toledo’s low price doesn’t deter them , then more people will want to move to San Francisco. That increased demand will lower supply and thus raise prices.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I build custom stuff like this
Attached Thumbnails
1 bd rent in SF hits new high: 90 per month-67bc41b2-68ef-465c-9ae4-894cabe239b9.jpeg  

Old 03-16-2019, 05:51 AM

This is me working on I believe 399 Fremont.
As I mentioned earlier it is custom stuff.
It’s been a while so my numbers might be an honest guesstimate.
The cool thing that most people can’t see is this high rise has about a good 400 units.
It has all the nice things like a pool,gym and all the things that one could want.
Each unit has so many hot water uses it would shock you
The coolest thing most don’t know is that it’s hot water system has 2 boilers the size of 2 large refrigerators and one bad a$$ solar system.
Yup I said that.
Two boilers the size of two big a$$ residential refrigerators and a solar system give hot water to this tall place.
The pic I posted is a solar hot water piping system.
Thanks.
Andy.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 AM

That pic is not sizing well.
Could somebody correct it for me?
I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Andy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland