Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM

13,634 posts, read 7,934,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Congratulations John. There is nothing about $1,710,000 that is modest. You did well. My wife and I chose the other route and decided to go for cash flow. Regardless of what the next recession brings, we believe people will still need a place to live and are not overly concerned about the rental market. But I can't say I haven't been tempted with a median price home now being priced between $1,400,000 and $1,600,000.
Well, there is talk home prices will continue to rise with the new IPO being launched. The way I see it if home prices were to close in on the 2 million mark that's great.

On the other hand if they were to fall a couple of hundred grand that's a lot of money to me.

I wasn't thinking of selling and wasn't aware of how much the home value had jumped in recent years. But when saw what my neighbors got we decided to sell.

And our home was sold in under 3 weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM

36,652 posts, read 67,420,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I am referring to the Richmond district of SF.

Sorry for the confusion.
That's what I thought. It's always 'the' Richmond.

Anyhow best wishes on your move.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 PM

13,634 posts, read 7,934,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Sounds like John will miss the Ocean, Ruth. On a personal level, I couldn't care less. I lived 15 minutes from Ocean Beach for years and never went there. I might feel differently if I lived in Southern Cal, but San Francisco? Ocean Beach sucks. The only time it was cool for me was when Playland was down there. Other than that, I visited Stinson Beach about 25 years ago (at least that was respectable).
The beach was never a place I spent much time at. However, I do remember when the beach sand was bright white and crab fishing with my father off the piers during the mid 60's.

Unfortunately, an oil spill in 1971 changed everything.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM

19,184 posts, read 16,635,068 times
Congrats John on the sale of the house in SF. I have a few friends who have moved to Maricopa County, not far from Phoenix and they love it. Also, have a nephew there who is a firefighter with Phoenix FD.

Wishing you the best and it doesn't hurt to have that sweet nest egg provided by the explosive California real estate market.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

10,324 posts, read 8,531,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Scottsdale is considerably more expensive. We bought the Gilbert home during the housing crash in 2010 and until recently were renting it out.
wow, your timing is very good. very profitable for you.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 PM

102,169 posts, read 107,612,997 times
Congratulations, OP! Give us some updates, after you've been settled in awhile. The town looks charming, from what I could see on the 'net.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,491,096 times
Congrats on the sale and move!

Every time I question my purchase in Richmond (no "the") last fall, and see that my Redfin estimate is flat, I remind myself that not having to worry about housing is a huge relief that I can't really put a price tag on. I have three friends looking now, and their stories are as terrible as when I bought...PLUS prices have gone up almost everywhere other than in my immediate neighborhood. There is a huge park opening near my house soon, so I have a feeling the pricing lull will be gone before I know it.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 PM

45 posts, read 87,839 times
John3232, congrats on the sale of the house and enjoy your retirement! I'm not too far off in making my trek to AZ too - but I'll be in Chandler.

and if you had edited your original post, wouldn't there be a notation in the lower, left-hand corner with "Last edited....." - which I'm not seeing.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM

38 posts, read 28,892 times
I wanted to wish you congratulations on retirement, but you are the guy who callously put up an internet picture of a homeless man lying on the street with the snippet "one of Turk's finest" in another thread. Maybe that's why there is a problem with people taking your thread serious.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 PM

102,169 posts, read 107,612,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Congrats on the sale and move!

Every time I question my purchase in Richmond (no "the") last fall, and see that my Redfin estimate is flat, I remind myself that not having to worry about housing is a huge relief that I can't really put a price tag on. I have three friends looking now, and their stories are as terrible as when I bought...PLUS prices have gone up almost everywhere other than in my immediate neighborhood. There is a huge park opening near my house soon, so I have a feeling the pricing lull will be gone before I know it.
You're the one, who bought a 4-br. craftsman on a double lot with a well, in Richmond? I'm so impressed with your story! And what's this park that's opening up in the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland