Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:36 PM

55 posts, read 57,304 times

Advertisements

Going up to visit family in napa again this summer as i did last year in hopes of finding a home. I can't afford to live south of cobb (and cobb is nice but i can't risk fire) with prices as they are, and finding a place on the west side of the lake is tough due to demand and cost. Clearlake proper which i investigated already is indeed the tweakers paradise many say it is, but i noticed there are areas that seem far nicer and one of those appears to be CL oaks. Anyone care to comment of that area as far as the kind of people i'd have as neighbors? I don't expect beverly hills, but i also don't want to deal with break ins and riff raff and all that kind of BS. The oaks area at least on google maps street view and looking at the houses on several RE sites appears to be another words from CL proper. Is that the case or is it also a haven for low lifes and criminals? Thanks.

Last edited by direstraights; 06-04-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I've heard it's a higher-end community.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
How far do the tweakers have to walk or drive to get there?

As I recall, Clearlake Oaks floods, too.

To be honest, I haven't been to the area for quite a few years now, but I had looked hard at buying there at one point and spent a lot of time looking around, and I just couldn't do it, even if it meant to continue renting. It's just a sad area that is just too inaccessible to grow or change much.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 AM

It depends on where you buy in Clearlake Oaks, re: flooding. There's a development, that's designed on a system of canals, so all the properties have waterfront. But aside from that, most of the rest of the community is on elevated ground.

Glenhaven nearby seems nicer, but also pricier. However, there are also lower-priced homes there. You might take a look at that, OP.

I would also visit the area, drive around neighborhoods, and talk to residents out on the street, if. you can manage a reconnaissance trip out there.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-05-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM

And, OP, definitely talk to people who have actually been there or live there to find out what's it's like today.

I looked at a property that was on a hill and spoke with one of the building inspectors and asked what his opinion was about that area, thinking there must be a reason the properties are so inexpensive. He told me that the hills are prone to landslides. So, rain comes down, the ground is unstable, water goes into the lake, lake rises, homes flood and/or slide down hills.

Look back into the history of flooding around Clearlake and how it impacts the area. We're talking, even if your particular property may not be prone to a landslide or flooding, you may end up cut off from all roads to get where you want to go.

Just do your research. There's no such thing as a magic cheap place that isn't cheap for a good reason. Only you can decide if you're willing to deal with whatever the reasons are. And, be smart enough to make sure that that wonderful cheap lot with the amazing sunset view over the lake (like I looked at) doesn't have some pending disaster waiting to happen - like your home ends up in the lake because of a landslide when the heavens decide again to open up and not stop. And, of course, another effect from wildfires, even if they don't burn your home, is that the land becomes vulnerable to landslides when it does rain, even if the rain isn't torrential.

Just be smart. Do your own research and be thorough. I wish you the very best luck in finding a place you like that you can afford, that will also be a smart purchase.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Glenhaven is right on the lake so i would thing that would be just as prone to floods. Not to mention when i looked at it i saw a lot of trilers which screams tweakers to me. Is the oaks area really flooded often or is that something that's a rare occurrence? Landslide potential i think is easier to predict just by looking at the property and it's proximity to higher ground.

Maybe i'll just keep looking on the west side. There are house there in my range on occasion.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM

By the way, this winter we had more rain and snow than in decades by a mile. Does anyone know if the oaks or any other areas up there flooded?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Google is your friend.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 AM

There are waterfront homes in Glenhaven, but there are many behind the waterfront tier, that are well elevated. There are also homes in the 1/2-million to $1 mill range in Glenhaven, very nice homes (not even waterfront properties), which is something I haven't seen in Clearlake Oaks. I don't think people would be building or buying that type of home, if break-ins and other drug-use issues were prevalent. But....suit yourself. Lakeport has been growing, I hear.

OP, let us know where you end up settling. We do get inquiries about Clearlake, so any info you post will be a help to others.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraights View Post
By the way, this winter we had more rain and snow than in decades by a mile. Does anyone know if the oaks or any other areas up there flooded?
Here you go, OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0vvhOnQCk

This ^^^is from 2017.

Also, floodplain info on Lake County:
http://www.lakecountyca.gov/Governme...ent/Status.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland