U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:36 AM

9 posts, read 7,637 times

Advertisements

Looking for some feedback on the east bay high schools. Were going to be moving over the summer and have a 15 year old son. Ive been looking at ratings and reviews on other sites but would like feedback/suggestions from other parents or recent grads. Weve been looking at Orinda area, Piedmont, Alameda, Alamo....kind of all over the map!

Hes a smart, pretty well rounded kid. Not really into sports but enjoys community type programs, computer stuff, CrossFit, typical teen activities. Hes coming from a really large Texas high school (about 3500 students), so I wouldnt mind if the school was a little smaller. Hopefully making the transition a little easier?

Any suggestions on high schools to take a closer look at? Or ones to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
You can't go wrong with the schools in Orinda and Piedmont, if you can afford to live there. Alameda would be a more affordable option; not as strong as those other schools, but still pretty good. Take a look at Lafayette and Walnut Creek, too.

Where's the work location, btw?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 7,637 times
In the financial district

Old 05-27-2019, 07:04 AM

483 posts, read 422,269 times
All the schools in these cities are good. Orinda and Alamo's schools are going to have more focus on their sports programs. Alameda is the most diverse school (it has a very large Asian population, in particular). I think Piedmont is the smallest of those schools and Monte Vista (which Alamo assigns to) the biggest. But none is 3,500 big. The only schools I can think of that size are Berkeley, James Logan (in Union City), and Pittsburg. My choice would be Orinda, because I think Miramonte is arguably the best public high school in the East Bay and has a pretty good balance of academics, extracurriculars, and a good size (about 1,200). But I don't think you can go wrong here, it depends more on your housing needs, commute, and the particular needs of your son.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 PM

49 posts, read 14,519 times
Miramonte High in Orinda is exceptional!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 PM

641 posts, read 1,711,568 times
I would add Albany to your list, and take Alamo off simply because the commute to the Financial District is so long. Piedmont, Alameda, Albany, and Orinda have quite different housing types and price points, so you'd want to factor that in. The culture of each of the high schools is also different, so which is more comfortable depends on your child/family. All are decent commutes into SF, though Albany and Orinda are by BART and Piedmont and Alameda by bus (unless you drive to BART--but the bus is arguably more comfortable and easier). Berkeley Parents Network is a good source of information on schools in all four communities; you may get more feedback there.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM

518 posts, read 506,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
I would add Albany to your list, and take Alamo off simply because the commute to the Financial District is so long. Piedmont, Alameda, Albany, and Orinda have quite different housing types and price points, so you'd want to factor that in. The culture of each of the high schools is also different, so which is more comfortable depends on your child/family. All are decent commutes into SF, though Albany and Orinda are by BART and Piedmont and Alameda by bus (unless you drive to BART--but the bus is arguably more comfortable and easier).
I second this. Also, the ferry is another commute option in Alameda. Different strokes for different folks, but Alameda would be my first choice, followed by either Albany or Piedmont second (really depends on your budget) and Orinda third. Orinda is less walkable and further from San Francisco, but certainly not as far as Alamo.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM

1,814 posts, read 3,777,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I second this. Also, the ferry is another commute option in Alameda. Different strokes for different folks, but Alameda would be my first choice, followed by either Albany or Piedmont second (really depends on your budget) and Orinda third. Orinda is less walkable and further from San Francisco, but certainly not as far as Alamo.
It is a little further to commute from Alamo to SF, but its still manageable. You're looking at maybe 15 minutes to drive to either the Lafayette or Walnut Creek BART station, so maybe 1 hour each way to and from SF. Yes, the commute is fairly long, but still shorter than many folks in the Bay Area have to bear.

In my view, I prefer Alamo due to its top schools, warmer weather, larger homes/lot sizes, quieter community, etc. I don't think Alameda is all that nice, to be honest. Piedmont is nice, but you don't get as much for your money. Same goes for Orinda. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM

802 posts, read 556,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
I would add Albany to your list, and take Alamo off simply because the commute to the Financial District is so long. Piedmont, Alameda, Albany, and Orinda have quite different housing types and price points, so you'd want to factor that in. The culture of each of the high schools is also different, so which is more comfortable depends on your child/family. All are decent commutes into SF, though Albany and Orinda are by BART and Piedmont and Alameda by bus (unless you drive to BART--but the bus is arguably more comfortable and easier). Berkeley Parents Network is a good source of information on schools in all four communities; you may get more feedback there.
I third Albany as well. There's also plenty of Transbay bus stops that go to the Financial District from Albany. Orinda schools are great, but I've heard it's a little more cliquey and more of an emphasis on sports, but not sure if that's true. We looked and considered all the aforementioned areas about 5 years ago, and ultimately ended up in Albany with soon to be HS kids.

I wouldn't discount El Cerrito HS (it's an up and comer and I think will be way different in a few years), especially if you can find a decent house in the Kensington area which I think is zoned to Madera elementary. Not that you care about elementary, but for resale value, that's one of the top if not the top rated elementary school in that school district.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I third Albany as well. There's also plenty of Transbay bus stops that go to the Financial District from Albany. Orinda schools are great, but I've heard it's a little more cliquey and more of an emphasis on sports, but not sure if that's true. We looked and considered all the aforementioned areas about 5 years ago, and ultimately ended up in Albany with soon to be HS kids.

I wouldn't discount El Cerrito HS (it's an up and comer and I think will be way different in a few years), especially if you can find a decent house in the Kensington area which I think is zoned to Madera elementary. Not that you care about elementary, but for resale value, that's one of the top if not the top rated elementary school in that school district.
I had a friend in Kensington, who moved Heaven and Earth to get her daughter re-assigned to Albany, from El Cerrito, but that was before the huge tech boom and so many changes around the Bay Area. I have no doubt, that the El Cerrito schools are on the upswing; it's good to hear.

OP, are you familiar with these towns in the East Bay? Albany and Alameda are very different from Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and then there's Alamo, which would be a long commute to the FiDi. If you want a more rural feel, Orinda/Lafayette/Walnut Creek would be where you should look. If you like a more urban environment, and cooler weather, with a location on the Bay, Albany or Alameda would be your ticket.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-28-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or