U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 PM

15 posts, read 22,547 times
Default Chicago Or San Francisco ???

Ok well me and my Friend/Roomate want to move to another city and it came down to Chicago or San Francisco.But leaning more towards Chicago more jobs for me and much better cost of living.We are planning a summer trip in July,But theres just so much you can learn or do in a week in SF

I grew in both city's,So I can adjust to either one,I am a proud liberal

My only problems with California:

1.Cost of Living(Seems like everyone is moving out of your state,Very sad to see this.)
2.Crazy Laws
3.Local Economy
4.Jobs( I don't have a college degree at the moment)

Adding things up we will both make like $50-60K a year combined,Maybe more won't know until we find jobs.

We want a decent size 2bd apartment,I'm thinking Daly city,South SF,San Bruno or somewhere close to SF.Is $1500-1700 possible in these areas

Is this possible or is Chicago a better bet ??

I gotta tell you guys,I visited SF spring of last year and had a blast,But I learned not to take MUNI late at night. LOL

thnx in advance 80sguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM

2,022 posts, read 2,639,328 times
I would say that San Francisco's main pro is the weather (at least compared to Chicago, but not to Southern California). For me, cost of living is more important. So you will have to make that decision as to which is more important. But I personally would choose Chicago. I mean, the price of an apartment alone is reason enough to choose Chicago. I think for what you're looking to pay you could find an awesome apartment in downtown Chicago while that same price would get you a crappier apartment far from downtown in San Francisco. Either way though, you'd end up in an awesome city.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM

24,763 posts, read 27,400,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sguy84 View Post
1.Cost of Living(Seems like everyone is moving out of your state,Very sad to see this.)
Can't argue with that... the cost of living here is crazy, though I imagine most big cities (especially ones like Chicago) aren't far behind. But the fact is, there's a reason it is so expensive here - because it's a VERY desirable place to live, and people are willing to pay the price. Doesn't help that we're on a Peninsula with no room to expand, and can only accommodate so many residents! Keep in mind, we do get higher salaries here, which almost makes up for the difference in cost. I checked my job category (Reference Librarian) in Chicago, and they pay about $8,000/yr less than what I make here.

Quote:
2.Crazy Laws
Which laws in particular are you referring to? We're definitely more lenient about certain things...

Quote:
3.Local Economy
Honestly, I don't know much about this... but we seem to be doing alright, considering the state of this entire nation right now.

Quote:
4.Jobs( I don't have a college degree at the moment)
Do you plan to get a degree? And what kind of job do you want in the meantime? My roommate didn't go to college, and she had no problem finding a job (three in the last year, actually). She's now working in grocery, and makes about $15/hour with benefits. Not bad! Check craigslist for what's out there, and to see how much everything pays.

Quote:
We want a decent size 2bd apartment,I'm thinking Daly city,South SF,San Bruno or somewhere close to SF.Is $1500-1700 possible in these areas
It's definitely possible in those towns... you should also check craigslist for that!

Quote:
I gotta tell you guys,I visited SF spring of last year and had a blast,But I learned not to take MUNI late at night. LOL
LMAO... yeah, the Muni is certainly an adventure at night. Sorry I can't tell you which city is better, but hopefully the advice you get here will help. I've actually never been to Chicago (aside from the airport), but have always heard it's a great place - just cold as hell, LOL. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM

1,562 posts, read 4,176,723 times
"Awesome apartments" in downtown Chicago (as opposed to the suburbs) are anything but cheap. But I'm sure that comparable units are even more costly in SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
But I personally would choose Chicago. I mean, the price of an apartment alone is reason enough to choose Chicago. I think for what you're looking to pay you could find an awesome apartment in downtown Chicago while that same price would get you a crappier apartment far from downtown in San Francisco.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,604,850 times
If you love pizza and steaks than Chicago is the town for you.:-)

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2,022 posts, read 2,639,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
"Awesome apartments" in downtown Chicago (as opposed to the suburbs) are anything but cheap. But I'm sure that comparable units are even more costly in SF.
Yeah, I didn't say they were cheap. I just said that the quality of an apartment as well as the location in Chicago in comparison to what you could get in San Francisco for the same price is vastly different. Because I live in California, those "awesome apartments" do seem sort of cheap to me, not in quality but in monthly rent.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
BINGO !! Average rent for a nice luxury apartment in downtown Chicago is around $3000 a month

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Can't argue with that... the cost of living here is crazy, though I imagine most big cities (especially ones like Chicago) aren't far behind. But the fact is, there's a reason it is so expensive here - because it's a VERY desirable place to live, and people are willing to pay the price. Doesn't help that we're on a Peninsula with no room to expand, and can only accommodate so many residents! Keep in mind, we do get higher salaries here, which almost makes up for the difference in cost. I checked my job category (Reference Librarian) in Chicago, and they pay about $8,000/yr less than what I make here.

A:Oh ya San Fracisco is my DREAM place to live,But I don't wanna live like a bum just to live there ya know.

Q:Which laws in particular are you referring to? We're definitely more lenient about certain things... those goofy SF laws.

A:Soda tax,No plastic bags what else ??? And since I have an old classic car it's the California Motor Vehicle law's that erk me (I'll have to spend around $2K to make my car "California Legal" ) funny how it was made in Van Nuys

Q:Economy:
Honestly, I don't know much about this... but we seem to be doing alright, considering the state of this entire nation right now.

A:IMO,Thanks to the mortgage crisis those who lost their homes have been forced to rent apartment's or leave the state in all.That's from my personal observations.There for making bay area apartments even more scarce.The typical "Supply and demand effect"

Do you plan to get a degree? And what kind of job do you want in the meantime? My roommate didn't go to college, and she had no problem finding a job (three in the last year, actually). She's now working in grocery, and makes about $15/hour with benefits. Not bad! Check craigslist for what's out there, and to see how much everything pays.

A:Oh ya that's one of the main reasons I'm moving to a bigger city,You really can't get a decent job these days without atleast a BA.Everyone from my area says that most NORCAL folks are VERY educated,Is that true ?? lol

Q:It's definitely possible in those towns... you should also check craigslist for that!

A:I LOVE Daly City and ya I have heard to stay out of the east bay(mostly Richmond and Oakland) that's what my Dad said.Then anything up north the GG(San Mateo county) is more $$$

LMAO... yeah, the MUNI is certainly an adventure at night.

A:Ya I guess I'll have to deal with it,I remember the MUNI bus driver running the Presedio route at night and how he wouldn't stop taking to me about buses,um OK ?? Or the gang bangers on the 29 bus who were "taging" the bus from the inside,Boy was that driver pissed !!

Sorry I can't tell you which city is better,But hopefully the advice you get here will help.I've actually never been to Chicago (aside from the airport), but have always heard it's a great place - just cold as hell, LOL. Good luck, whatever you decide!

A:I can help in that Chicago is more Diverse,Bigger,Colder and the LEO's aren't as friendly and now the city has the highest sales tax in the country.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

500 posts, read 556,798 times
Chicago---Cheaper, you could probably afford a small studio downtown or on the Gold Coast with your salary, but you could probably get a real nice place in some rougher but mostly safe neighborhoods like Hyde Park on the S. Side, Pilsen on the W. Side or Rogers Park/Uptown on the N. Side.
Better Public Transportation
More Exciting
Faster Pace
More Diverse

San Fran---Probably the most beautiful city in the country, Chicago is flat so the only real beauty is the skyline, lake and river, but the only way to see all three at one time is from a tall building.
Nicer People
Safer, less crime
Better weather

If you can afford it, I would go San Fran, but as mentioned both are amazing cities and 2 of the Top 5 in America.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 PM

24,763 posts, read 27,400,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sguy84 View Post
A:Soda tax,No plastic bags what else ??? And since I have an old classic car it's the California Motor Vehicle law's that erk me (I'll have to spend around $2K to make my car "California Legal" ) funny how it was made in Van Nuys
LOL... my roommate drives a classic BMW, and came here from Ohio, so he has the same gripe. Once the car is legal, however, it's not a big deal - about $200/year to register, and smog checks maybe once every 3-5 years. I drive a new car (2005 Honda), so my costs have been minimal. As for the plastic bags, that's still optional for the stores - they just have to pay an extra tax to use them, which usually results in price hikes for the consumers. Paper bags are more environmentally friendly anyway, and as long as they have the ones with handles, I don't mind that law!

Quote:
A:Oh ya that's one of the main reasons I'm moving to a bigger city,You really can't get a decent job these days without atleast a BA.Everyone from my area says that most NORCAL folks are VERY educated,Is that true ?? lol
Generally speaking, yes it is... most people I know have at least a Bachelor's, and at least half (in my "circle") have advanced degrees. We're not snotty about it, though, and don't typically run around shouting what degrees we have. Definitely a good idea to get one, no matter where you're planning to live! Any ideas what you want to study? There are some really good schools here, so you shouldn't have a problem finding what you want.

Quote:
A:I LOVE Daly City and ya I have heard to stay out of the east bay(mostly Richmond and Oakland) that's what my Dad said.Then anything up north the GG(San Mateo county) is more $$$
Those aren't hard & fast rules, since there are always exceptions... even Oakland and Richmond have nice areas, so you shouldn't rule them out completely. Marin County is generally more expensive, but certain towns are more affordable than others. Daly City is a nice town, though, so I'd say "go for it" if you found something do-able there. It does have a few sketchy areas, but it's fairly safe overall. I also always recommend Pacifica, since I REALLY enjoyed living there a few years ago... absolutely incredible views, cool (foggy) weather, small-town feeling, close to the city, etc. Check it out!

Quote:
A:Ya I guess I'll have to deal with it,I remember the MUNI bus driver running the Presedio route at night and how he wouldn't stop taking to me about buses,um OK ?? Or the gang bangers on the 29 bus who were "taging" the bus from the inside,Boy was that driver pissed !!
I bet! My roommate takes the 9x from Bayview to North Beach every day, and has told me some interesting stories. I haven't taken an actual bus in years, not counting BART and streetcars, so luckily I don't have to deal with that. But hey, it's better than a NY subway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland