U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 03:39 PM

20,689 posts, read 20,247,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I don’t know about the open windows but it does make sense to keep all windows closed. One thing I was advised is when your driving through a heavy homeless area make sure the doors are locked because if they hear the sound of the doors locking around them they get very irate. Personally the worst thing that’s happened to me is a guy spit on my window when I ignored his begging.

It wasn't even a high homeless area, he was literally the only homeless person on the street, but yeah, that's a sad reality to live in... and to think condos cost $1 million plus lol. Why anyone would live in SF if they aren't tech is beyond me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 04:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,250,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It wasn't even a high homeless area, he was literally the only homeless person on the street, but yeah, that's a sad reality to live in... and to think condos cost $1 million plus lol. Why anyone would live in SF if they aren't tech is beyond me.
Me either. Did you feel unsafe from all the permitted crime and homeless there??

Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 PM

17,046 posts, read 9,588,772 times
Quote:
And this kind of attitude is why the homeless problem continues getting worse, the verifiable, quantifiable, etc information says it is getting MUCH worse too!
Actually, my “attitude” has zip to do with the homeless problem worsening ... that is entirely a function of a lack of affordable housing ... which has nothing to do with me.

However, bs anecdotal yarn-spinng, tale-telling DOES make the situation harder to manage because people like you rile up public opinion firing off your little horror stories without factual foundation. What you described is not new or unique. Stop fear-mongering.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Me either. Did you feel unsafe from all the permitted crime and homeless there??

Yes it definitely feels unsafe when there is little foot traffic. They are so brazen now. I guess when the city passes out hundreds of thousands of needles every month, it's not surprising there are more aggressive crazy crack heads running the streets. One of my friends worked at one of those clinics and she said they aren't allowed to say no to them. You can literally walk in and say you want a case of needles, she once handed out I think she said 500 or 1000 needles at one time to a single person. And the typical attitude is to make excuses for them. Even my other friend did the whole, "well why was your window down to begin with" it's ridiculous... one of the richest cities in the world and you can't even enjoy a 9PM drive. When I went to OC, my attitude of California changed completely. I was saying, I really gained a lot of respect for California after this trip, even though we decided not to move, still had so much newly gained respect. After a week in SF, it's all out the door, like I NEVER want to live there again, reminds me why we couldn't wait to move. My GF literally took summer classes and took 6 classes each sem, so we could move a year early. The only positive thing that's happened in SF was Mission Bay. Seriously, SF is disgusting! I noticed a lot more for lease signs too. You're lucky you live in OC, it's night and day to SF.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Case in point. Another little fear dialogue to chatter about. “... he was literally the only homeless person on the street,” and he came after you! And therefore we should all be afraid of the homeless ... they’re all psychos!

Facts are: 75% of all violent crime is committed by persons known to the victim.

Does random violence occur in our society? Yes.

Do homeless people ever commit random violence? Yes.

Is it common on any relative scale? No.

In fact, research concludes that violent crime by homeless against the general public is vastly less common than the homeless are victims of violent crime against them perpetrated by housed members in our society.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yes it definitely feels unsafe when there is little foot traffic. They are so brazen now. I guess when the city passes out hundreds of thousands of needles every month, it's not surprising there are more aggressive crazy crack heads running the streets. One of my friends worked at one of those clinics and she said they aren't allowed to say no to them. You can literally walk in and say you want a case of needles, she once handed out I think she said 500 or 1000 needles at one time to a single person. And the typical attitude is to make excuses for them. Even my other friend did the whole, "well why was your window down to begin with" it's ridiculous... one of the richest cities in the world and you can't even enjoy a 9PM drive. When I went to OC, my attitude of California changed completely. I was saying, I really gained a lot of respect for California after this trip, even though we decided not to move, still had so much newly gained respect. After a week in SF, it's all out the door, like I NEVER want to live there again, reminds me why we couldn't wait to move. My GF literally took summer classes and took 6 classes each sem, so we could move a year early. The only positive thing that's happened in SF was Mission Bay. Seriously, SF is disgusting! I noticed a lot more for lease signs too. You're lucky you live in OC, it's night and day to SF.
More mythology: passing out free needles does not increase “crazy crack heads” running the streets. It does, however, greatly reduce the incidence of disease transmission, not only among addicts but into the general public.

You think your friend said “500 or 1000 needles at one time to a single person.”. BS. Back it up. Fiction.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
More mythology: passing out free needles does not increase “crazy crack heads” running the streets. It does, however, greatly reduce the incidence of disease transmission, not only among addicts but into the general public.

You think your friend said “500 or 1000 needles at one time to a single person.”. BS. Back it up. Fiction.

Record yourself and go inside and ask for a case of needles. They are not allowed to say no to the quantity of the request. Prove it wrong because I trust my friend who used to work there more than your extreme liberalism random online persona. San Francisco has never been this bad. What a garbage dump of a city it has become. Take a trip to Orange County and learn what parks were actually built for... it's not a litter box for homeless poop and needles. They were actually created for families and people to enjoy together.

Just ask yourself how many cities have sticky threads titled "Soiled/Homeless/Infested/Trashed Containment Thread" there is a reason why San Francisco has this sticky.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Record yourself and go inside and ask for a case of needles. They are not allowed to say no to the quantity of the request. Prove it wrong because I trust my friend who used to work there more than your extreme liberalism random online persona. San Francisco has never been this bad. What a garbage dump of a city it has become. Take a trip to Orange County and learn what parks were actually built for... it's not a litter box for homeless poop and needles. They were actually created for families and people to enjoy together.

Just ask yourself how many cities have sticky threads titled "Soiled/Homeless/Infested/Trashed Containment Thread" there is a reason why San Francisco has this sticky.
The reason for this being a “sticky thread”is the same reason for the “LA Homeless Containment Thread” sticky: because there are so many posts on the topic, mostly placed by a regular cadre of hyperbolic individuals such as yourself, who pollute the SF and LA forums with the kind of mythic, fear-mongering diarrhea you just have. The mods get sick of weeding it out of all manner of other thread topics that digress off topic with commentary about how disgusting the cities are with the homelessness. Ask a mod. (I have.). They’ll tell you.

As to your claim, read:
Quote:
San Francisco has about 22,000 intravenous drug users, about one per every 38.49 residents based on a rough 2016 population of 846,816.

The city distributes approximately 400,000 syringes per month, about 18 per person, or one every one and a half to two days, between 4.45 to 4.8 million annually.

The reason the city does this is because in 2016 San Francisco had roughly 16,000 residents living with HIV and some 13,000 people with hepatitis C. The Center For Disease Control consistently reports that free needle programs significantly reduce transmission rates for blood-born diseases and that they’re cheaper than the additional public health costs from more infections. https://sf.curbed.com/2018/5/9/17336...nge-numbers-sf
Now think about that for a minute.

“18 per person” (average) per month.

This average is because there are a lot of recreational users who are not addicts. Now the addicts use perhaps 3 per day (typical). So, given these free needles are available any time, why would any user / addict demand “500 - 1000” at a time? And what would they do with that many? Sell them to others who can get them for free? Shooting up 3x a day is 90 times a month. Why would anyone demand a 5 - 10 month supply of free needles they can get any time?

The question, bmw, isn’t whether the program limits the number of needles to an individual ... it’s what I just presented above. The story you told is stupid bullcrap. You know zip about the topics of drug use and of homelessness.

Further mention is worthy: many, many intravenous drug users are not homeless ... and the majority of homeless are not intravenous drug addicts.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:44 PM

36,508 posts, read 16,975,255 times
Quote:
One of my friends worked at one of those clinics and she said they aren't allowed to say no to them. You can literally walk in and say you want a case of needles, she once handed out I think she said 500 or 1000 needles at one time to a single person.
"500 or 1000"

Old 01-31-2020, 12:48 PM

597 posts, read 232,618 times
Quote:
I just got back from San Francisco last night and the homeless issue has definitely gotten worse. We had our window down and had to quickly roll it up as a cracked out person crossed the street headed right toward us at a stop light, we got the window up just in time and he hit the window a few times and then grabbed the door handle trying to open the car door and we drove through a red light. One of our friends said why did you have the window down at night, that's like saying a rape victim, why did you show your legs. Has it really become common knowledge where you can't have your window down at night anymore?
Well I for one totally believe your story since stuff like this happens in SF all the time.

Almost all of my friends can tell a story or two (or three) about confrontations with the homeless community. Most have had multiple car break ins, many have been kicked, spit on, or threatened. I have several stories myself.

I have never heard about the "no driving around with your windows down" tip, but people do often say things like leave your car doors unlocked or leave your back seat folded down so people can see there is nothing in your trunk - both to prevent the infamous SF glass tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or