U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM
 
Location: On the water.
17,021 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Reputation: 14278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Well I for one totally believe your story since stuff like this happens in SF all the time.

Almost all of my friends can tell a story or two (or three) about confrontations with the homeless community. Most have had multiple car break ins, many have been kicked, spit on, or threatened. I have several stories myself.

I have never heard about the "no driving around with your windows down" tip, but people do often say things like leave your car doors unlocked or leave your back seat folded down so people can see there is nothing in your trunk - both to prevent the infamous SF glass tax.
I don’t suggest the story is false. I suggest it has zero productive point ... and in fact has a negative effect on the problem. As I just posted in the other thread where bmw popped in to ridicule the City and the homeless, these sorts of endless anecdotal stories only serve to further demean and fear and hate monger an already reviled class of people. This crap serves only to increase the hate and violence heaped on the homeless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2020, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Paradise CA, that place on fire
1,201 posts, read 664,181 times
Reputation: 3298
"In fact, research concludes that violent crime by homeless against the general public is vastly less common than the homeless are victims of violent crime against them perpetrated by housed members in our society."

In our town of Paradise the crimes committed by the homeless is near zero because there are no services available to attract them.

Chico is different. Chico is a liberal college town where the greatest concern appears to be taking care / helping the homeless. There are numerous services available. So what happens is that while the homeless is maybe 1 % of the total population, the crimes committed by the homeless are around 25-30% of the total. I do know this from watching the daily news on television and reading the local papers online or in print.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-31-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 02:44 PM
 
Location: On the water.
17,021 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Reputation: 14278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
"In fact, research concludes that violent crime by homeless against the general public is vastly less common than the homeless are victims of violent crime against them perpetrated by housed members in our society."

In our town of Paradise the crimes committed by the homeless is near zero because there are no services available to attract them.

Chico is different. Chico is a liberal college town where the greatest concern appears to be taking care / helping the homeless. There are numerous services available. So what happens is that while the homeless is maybe 1 % of the total population, the crimes committed by the homeless are around 25-30% of the total. I do know this from watching the daily news on television and reading the local papers online or in print.
You are conflating crime in general with “violent crime” which was the subject of my post you quoted.

Many homeless will indeed filch a sandwich when hungry, snatch a bicycle left unlocked, urinate in a public park, and many other misdemeanor level crimes. They are desperate to survive, right or wrong. What they don’t do at any elevated rate is attack members of the general community. Yes, some severe mental cases have attacked people randomly ... that is also true of non-homeless mental cases. You need to examine the rates of violent crime of the housed and of the homeless and compare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 02:55 PM
 
Location: US
20,662 posts, read 20,231,217 times
Reputation: 16676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I don’t suggest the story is false. I suggest it has zero productive point ... and in fact has a negative effect on the problem. As I just posted in the other thread where bmw popped in to ridicule the City and the homeless, these sorts of endless anecdotal stories only serve to further demean and fear and hate monger an already reviled class of people. This crap serves only to increase the hate and violence heaped on the homeless.

No, homeless in many cities aren't hated because they are respectful and not screaming crack heads breaking into cars and creating an unsafe environment for the community.



If what happened to me occurred where I live now, the police would rush over if I called 9-1-1 and arrest the person for being hopped on crack and if my dash cam or a city camera caught him trying to pry my door open, he would be arrested for it too. In San Francisco, there would have been no point in calling 9-1-1. They give out needles for them to inject the drugs! lol. I doubt the homeless guy was trying to rip open the door or smash the window just to say "good evening." San Francisco has allowed the homeless to be given such a bad name because they let the crazies run free and do whatever they want. San Francisco has allowed its homeless population to become addicted to dangerous drugs and continues to help fuel their addictions, meanwhile not applying the law to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 02:57 PM
 
Location: US
20,662 posts, read 20,231,217 times
Reputation: 16676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Well I for one totally believe your story since stuff like this happens in SF all the time.

Almost all of my friends can tell a story or two (or three) about confrontations with the homeless community. Most have had multiple car break ins, many have been kicked, spit on, or threatened. I have several stories myself.

I have never heard about the "no driving around with your windows down" tip, but people do often say things like leave your car doors unlocked or leave your back seat folded down so people can see there is nothing in your trunk - both to prevent the infamous SF glass tax.

Another +1



At least someone gets it. Rational people like yourself are either going to get so fed up they demand change from politicians or move out leaving only the extreme liberals to give even more freedom to SF's dug crazed homeless population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Paradise CA, that place on fire
1,201 posts, read 664,181 times
Reputation: 3298
"Many homeless will indeed filch a sandwich when hungry, snatch a bicycle left unlocked, urinate in a public park, and many other misdemeanor level crimes. They are desperate to survive, right or wrong. What they don’t do at any elevated rate is attack members of the general community."

With all respect, I think you are wrong on that.

From Crescent City to Yuba City the distance is about 340 miles, or 230 if you fly a plane. We have two local TV stations covering the area and they don't have enough staff. Their main offices are in Chico and Redding. They simply can't cover urinating in public or filching a sandwich. Violent crimes like attack, burglary, drug arrests, car thefts, hijacking, kidnapping attempts, arson, are usually reported. Most arson here is deliberate or negligent and the arsonists are 70-80 % identified as "transient" because we hate to tarnish the reputation of the homeless.

In politically correct California, only the "transients" commit felonies, while the homeless needs all the help we can provide.

The newspapers and TV stations are heavily biased in favor of the homeless population and I believe the crimes reported are only a fraction of the real number.
While I don't have accurate statistics, I think the majority of crimes are committed by males under the influence of narcotics, followed by the homeless, and last come the career criminals and drug dealers / buyers ripping off each other.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-31-2020 at 03:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Beautiful free Arizona
3,964 posts, read 2,246,267 times
Reputation: 5750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are conflating crime in general with “violent crime” which was the subject of my post you quoted.

Many homeless will indeed filch a sandwich when hungry, snatch a bicycle left unlocked, urinate in a public park, and many other misdemeanor level crimes. They are desperate to survive, right or wrong. What they don’t do at any elevated rate is attack members of the general community. Yes, some severe mental cases have attacked people randomly ... that is also true of non-homeless mental cases. You need to examine the rates of violent crime of the housed and of the homeless and compare.
In OC the homeless are obsessed with bikes and a cryptonite lock doesn’t deter them. They have chop shops with multiple bikes torn apart. You might equate a bike with a sandwich but the Townie cruiser my friend “had” was over 300.00 bucks of her hard earned money. How does a bike make a person “survive “ on the streets??

Last edited by Finper; 01-31-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 09:41 AM
 
Location: On the water.
17,021 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Reputation: 14278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
In OC the homeless are obsessed with bikes and a cryptonite lock doesn’t deter them. They have chop shops with multiple bikes torn apart. You might equate a bike with a sandwich but the Townie cruiser my friend “had” was over 300.00 bucks of her hard earned money. How does a bike make a person “survive “ on the streets??
What a silly question. A $300 Townie cruiser will buy a bunch of sandwiches ... drugs ... booze ... a motel room with shower for a night ... fill a prescription ... gas for an old van ... ... ... ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 AM
 
6,940 posts, read 2,059,447 times
Reputation: 11969
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#213f598d63cc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 AM
 
Location: On the water.
17,021 posts, read 9,577,386 times
Reputation: 14278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No, homeless in many cities aren't hated because they are respectful and not screaming crack heads breaking into cars and creating an unsafe environment for the community.



If what happened to me occurred where I live now, the police would rush over if I called 9-1-1 and arrest the person for being hopped on crack and if my dash cam or a city camera caught him trying to pry my door open, he would be arrested for it too. In San Francisco, there would have been no point in calling 9-1-1. They give out needles for them to inject the drugs! lol. I doubt the homeless guy was trying to rip open the door or smash the window just to say "good evening." San Francisco has allowed the homeless to be given such a bad name because they let the crazies run free and do whatever they want. San Francisco has allowed its homeless population to become addicted to dangerous drugs and continues to help fuel their addictions, meanwhile not applying the law to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Another +1



At least someone gets it. Rational people like yourself are either going to get so fed up they demand change from politicians or move out leaving only the extreme liberals to give even more freedom to SF's dug crazed homeless population.
You continue to demonstrate your total ignorance of these issues. Let’s quickly review one of your many themes: the “drug crazed SF homeless population” and giving them free needles:

San Francisco has about 22,000 intravenous drug users, about one per every 38.49 residents based on a rough 2016 population of 846,816.

Yet SF has but 8,000 homeless. Subtraction shows us that there are, then, at least 12,000 more intravenous drug users in the City than there are homeless. But wait, it gets better since decades of research report that the % of homeless with severe substance abuse addictions is about ⅓ of that population, and not all of that addiction is intravenous use based. So in reality all those syringes you keep railing about (approximately 400,000 syringes per month) are going to as many as 20,000 non-homeless compared to 2,000 homeless.

Once again I quote the rationale:
Quote:
The reason the city does this is because in 2016 San Francisco had roughly 16,000 residents living with HIV and some 13,000 people with hepatitis C. The Center For Disease Control consistently reports that free needle programs significantly reduce transmission rates for blood-born diseases and that they’re cheaper than the additional public health costs from more infections. https://sf.curbed.com/2018/5/9/17336...nge-numbers-sf
Do you understand why China hands out facemasks during airborne virus outbreaks there?
Hint: it is not only to protect the individuals wearing the masks but also to halt the infection’s access to the community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top