U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Paradise CA, that place on fire
1,232 posts, read 686,555 times
Reputation: 3361

Advertisements

Dear Mutt, once again, this is not about You or Me. Don't take it personal. Battle of ideas isn't a fist fight among neighbors over a dog barking at night.

My post was about the way liberals or conservatives deal with an issue, with a problem, with crime.


Sorry again for not able to provide solid numbers or statistics.

What comes now is nothing but anecdotal. Most of the time when I watch television here in the NorthState, and there will be a report, after a major violent crime has been committed, such as murder, or murder during a robbery, hijacking, home invasion, hit and run with dead people left behind, you name it.

What is fascinating is that maybe 60-70 % of the time the reports end with a sideline, such as: "we at ActionNews have learned that John Doe has been arrested previously 4-7-9 times last year, (or in the last 3 years) for various offenses, including driving under the influence, trespassing, theft, selling narcotics, spousal abuse, gun possession by a felon, breaking and entering," - and so forth.

In a deeply conservative state the offender would be locked up for a very long time after the 2nd or 3rd offense.

In a progressive, liberal state the offender gets locked up for a week or two, goes out on probation, goes back to jail, out on probation, until eventually he goes off the deep end, gets caught and sentenced for murder. The taxpayers cover the bill, 40-50 K per year in prison, for a long time.

Last week we had a law passed in California. In short, juvenile offenders can't be prosecuted as adults unless they are 20 years old or older.

What this means if John Doe, a week before his 20th birthday invades and kills 3-4 people living across the street to take their stash of weed and the little cash which always goes with the trade, then John Doe is sentenced to a juvenile facility until he turns 25 years old. At this point he gets to be free, or be on probation for a while.

Once again our state is making an effort to ease punishments on criminals. I realize this had zero, nothing to do with the post of the OP, and I do apologize for hijacking the thread.

When I worked in self storage I was attacked by a homeless man half my age and double my weight as he was trespassing at our private facility. Another tenant jumped in with a baseball bat and saved me. Stanton police came within 3 minutes, handcuffed the guy, and let him go later. Ten minutes later. I told the officers I want to press charges. One officer said, " we arrested this man 6 times this year and the court always lets him go the same day. Mr. mgforshort, you are wasting your time and ours. Good thing you were not seriously hurt."

Last edited by mgforshort; 02-02-2020 at 11:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2020, 11:18 PM
 
Location: US
21,018 posts, read 20,462,938 times
Reputation: 16906
The typical attitude locals have towards non-violent crime is to tilt your head down, don’t make eye contact or look at your phone. A crazed crack head could be screaming obscenities about gay people and everyone acts like nothing is happening. That is a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58 AM
 
1,612 posts, read 2,858,065 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Dear Mutt, once again, this is not about You or Me. Don't take it personal. Battle of ideas isn't a fist fight among neighbors over a dog barking at night.

My post was about the way liberals or conservatives deal with an issue, with a problem, with crime.


Sorry again for not able to provide solid numbers or statistics.

What comes now is nothing but anecdotal. Most of the time when I watch television here in the NorthState, and there will be a report, after a major violent crime has been committed, such as murder, or murder during a robbery, hijacking, home invasion, hit and run with dead people left behind, you name it.

What is fascinating is that maybe 60-70 % of the time the reports end with a sideline, such as: "we at ActionNews have learned that John Doe has been arrested previously 4-7-9 times last year, (or in the last 3 years) for various offenses, including driving under the influence, trespassing, theft, selling narcotics, spousal abuse, gun possession by a felon, breaking and entering," - and so forth.

In a deeply conservative state the offender would be locked up for a very long time after the 2nd or 3rd offense.

In a progressive, liberal state the offender gets locked up for a week or two, goes out on probation, goes back to jail, out on probation, until eventually he goes off the deep end, gets caught and sentenced for murder. The taxpayers cover the bill, 40-50 K per year in prison, for a long time.

Last week we had a law passed in California. In short, juvenile offenders can't be prosecuted as adults unless they are 20 years old or older.

What this means if John Doe, a week before his 20th birthday invades and kills 3-4 people living across the street to take their stash of weed and the little cash which always goes with the trade, then John Doe is sentenced to a juvenile facility until he turns 25 years old. At this point he gets to be free, or be on probation for a while.

Once again our state is making an effort to ease punishments on criminals. I realize this had zero, nothing to do with the post of the OP, and I do apologize for hijacking the thread.

When I worked in self storage I was attacked by a homeless man half my age and double my weight as he was trespassing at our private facility. Another tenant jumped in with a baseball bat and saved me. Stanton police came within 3 minutes, handcuffed the guy, and let him go later. Ten minutes later. I told the officers I want to press charges. One officer said, " we arrested this man 6 times this year and the court always lets him go the same day. Mr. mgforshort, you are wasting your time and ours. Good thing you were not seriously hurt."
No such law was passed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2020, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Paradise CA, that place on fire
1,232 posts, read 686,555 times
Reputation: 3361
Sorry, my mistake. We'll see if this can pass.

A proposal by the Chief Probation Officers of California (CPOC) would reclassify 18- and 19-year-olds as juveniles in the eyes of the law. The yet-to-be unveiled legislation would also let youth who are involved with juvenile probation stay in probation-run facilities until they are 24 years old, past the current maximum age of 21.

from the Sacramento Bee:
"A California lawmaker argues that 18- and 19-year-olds aren’t mature enough to do prison time if they break the law, and so she has submitted a bill that would treat them like juveniles.

Under the proposed bill, 20 would be the new age when someone would automatically face criminal charges as an adult."

Last edited by mgforshort; 02-03-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2020, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
37,078 posts, read 17,196,417 times
Reputation: 27415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Sorry, my mistake. We'll see if this can pass.
A proposal by the Chief Probation Officers of California (CPOC) would reclassify 18- and 19-year-olds as juveniles in the eyes of the law. The yet-to-be unveiled legislation would also let youth who are involved with juvenile probation stay in probation-run facilities until they are 24 years old, past the current maximum age of 21.
from the Sacramento Bee:
"A California lawmaker argues that 18- and 19-year-olds aren’t mature enough to do prison time if they break the law, and so she has submitted a bill that would treat them like juveniles.
Under the proposed bill, 20 would be the new age when someone would automatically face criminal charges as an adult."
What does this have to do with this topic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2020, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
5,496 posts, read 6,871,227 times
Reputation: 5042
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The typical attitude locals have towards non-violent crime is to tilt your head down, don’t make eye contact or look at your phone. A crazed crack head could be screaming obscenities about gay people and everyone acts like nothing is happening. That is a problem.
Correct, although It's a problem in most large American cities. Funny enough how people tend to do the exact same thing in LA/Seattle/PDX/San Diego/Denver/Austin/Honolulu, too. Less so in Chicago/NYC/Boston/DC/Philly, but it still happens. I wonder why this is the case?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2020, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
37,078 posts, read 17,196,417 times
Reputation: 27415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Correct, although It's a problem in most large American cities. Funny enough how people tend to do the exact same thing in LA/Seattle/PDX/San Diego/Denver/Austin/Honolulu, too. Less so in Chicago/NYC/Boston/DC/Philly, but it still happens. I wonder why this is the case?
It's much more prevalent in Tokyo, they are masters at ignoring everything short of a dead body on the sidewalk, and if they run into one of those they just walk around it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 PM
 
Location: US
21,018 posts, read 20,462,938 times
Reputation: 16906
lol you guys are funny. Typical SF attitude that “ohh its like that everywhere some places even worse” that’s why SF continues to go down down down. Keep making excuses, it’s literally an embarrassment to one of the world’s most powerful and richest countries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
 
353 posts, read 108,986 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's much more prevalent in Tokyo, they are masters at ignoring everything short of a dead body on the sidewalk, and if they run into one of those they just walk around it.
LMAO.

Tokyo is one of the cleanest and modern major metropolitan areas globally. The exact opposite of the poop capital of America.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 AM
 
Location: On the water.
17,340 posts, read 9,700,471 times
Reputation: 14548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
LMAO.

Tokyo is one of the cleanest and modern major metropolitan areas globally. The exact opposite of the poop capital of America.
Non sequitur. The comparison wasn’t about cleanliness nor modernity. It was about pedestrians’ acknowledgment of others around them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top